20G tank and learning about live plants - Page 6
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Old 07-24-2013, 11:22 AM   #76
Saxtonhill
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

A friend has an old 29 gallon tank in their back yard...they want to sell it...I'm going to buy it cheap...but it's full of rain water and loaded with algae and mosquito larvae...ugh! The cast iron stand is rusted out and useless...looks like it will collapse at any minute...

Going over this weekend to clean that mess out ...if the tank is OK and I can get it home eventually the guppies might live in there and the shrimp can have the 20 gallon.
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2013, 08:52 PM   #77
Saxtonhill
Planted Tank Obsessed

It's been over a week...finally got to take a look at the 29 gallon that my friend has for sale. It's been sitting the the yard for a looooong time... Yuck---what a disgusting mess...got a big cleaning job ahead of me!

Last edited by Saxtonhill; 08-04-2013 at 08:53 PM.. Reason: spelling
Saxtonhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:54 PM   #78
tetra73
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxtonhill View Post
It's been over a week...finally got to take a look at the 29 gallon that my friend has for sale. It's been sitting the the yard for a looooong time... Yuck---what a disgusting mess...got a big cleaning job ahead of me!

I would tell him to clean it first.... You can get a 29g at petco for $29, usually at the end of the month, when they have the $1 per gallon sales.

Canon Pimp Club #005
tetra73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 03:11 PM   #79
Saxtonhill
Planted Tank Obsessed

What a terrible looking lawn ornament, huh?

We found out the tank had a crack in the glass after we got the water out of it...so no deal and it went to the dump...
Old 08-09-2013, 02:31 PM   #80
Saxtonhill
Planted Tank Obsessed

In the 10 gallon Betta tank, I decided to spread out the clumps of cryptocorynes. I got rid of the moss. The riccia at back top right has grown into a good size clump. The Betta likes the riccia.

Thinking about maybe adding a low piece of dark colored driftwood to help hide that ugly heater! All the tones in this tank are mediums (boring--no contrast!)and a dark piece of driftwood would really help...the composition is also boring...

Last edited by Saxtonhill; 08-09-2013 at 02:37 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 08-09-2013, 11:36 PM   #81
jpb1958
Algae Grower

Thanks so much for this thread. Like yourself, I haven't had too much success with plants in the past and I have decided that I want to learn the 'dark art' of the planted tank first. Now I know I am not alone
jpb1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 01:33 PM   #82
12redblue
Algae Grower

I enjoy your journey into planted tanks and soon to be shrimping! I started my journey about 5 weeks ago deciding I don't have enough natural light for houseplants in some areas of my house that I would have aquarium plants. It's gotten totally out of control from there...

Note on the Ghosties I started with 3 and only have 1 gigantic one left. So bought a few more and after they were bagged up the LFS said they eat each other and mine did. It has plenty of food in the 10 gallon planted. So it will be the lone shrimp in that tank from now on and I got Cherries and Crystal Reds in my other tank. But then I saw the blues....
12redblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:13 PM   #83
Saxtonhill
Planted Tank Obsessed

jpb1958 and 12redblue definitely check out the threads on plant care and propagation on this PT site---just amazing how much info there is! What a fun hobby! I've been making some mistakes but learned to stick to easy plants for beginners like myself. I wish I'd had access to this knowledge years ago...couldn't keep a plant alive longer than 6 weeks and in hindsight, it was probably due to very poor low lighting conditions...

12redblue, I agree...so many beautiful varieties of fancy shrimps! And some of the photography over on the "Shrimp & Other Inverts" section of this forum is just breathtaking! I'll be starting with cherry red shrimp which I have been told are best for beginners like myself, just need to get past the last of the visiting relatives (Saratoga racing season is here and we're kind of like a motel with all the relatives visiting ha-ha).
Old 08-27-2013, 03:50 PM   #84
Saxtonhill
Planted Tank Obsessed

Adding some anubias along the back of the 30 gallon tank...not very exciting but I do like the anubias

anubias nana patite and anubias nana...the petites have been there for about 7 months and are slowly multiplying...eventually I'd like to have enough to put into one of the other tanks...it's pretty neat learning to grow your own plants and not having to buy them...

Really need something taller to go into that bald patch at the back by the heater...the Java fern hasn't done anything in months...

Last edited by Saxtonhill; 09-25-2013 at 10:04 AM.. Reason: added another photo
Old 08-27-2013, 08:49 PM   #85
Saxtonhill
Planted Tank Obsessed

added some wisteria (Hygrophilia difformis) to the 30 gallon...this I bought in....but the wisteria in the 60 gallon is doing pretty well...so I may have some trimmings to put in another tank in a few months...

Last edited by Saxtonhill; 08-27-2013 at 08:54 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 09-04-2013, 03:31 AM   #86
12redblue
Algae Grower

Saxtonhill - its Del Mar season here!

I can grow plants in the yard and my old house but the aquariums are a challenge. So far the low light 10 gallon with the 50/50 cfl plants are doing the best. The LED plant lights are pretty but the plants aren't growing as well. So still researching.

Shrimp are doing well. Only 1 unfortunate accident. Have CRS SSS grade surviving for the past two weeks so that is exciting. Hopefully past the tough part and they like my set up.
12redblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 01:59 PM   #87
Saxtonhill
Planted Tank Obsessed

12redblue...that is awesome that you are near Delmar! That track has some of the finest racing in North America!

Here's a photo I took of the Travers Stakes leaders as they raced down the Saratoga backstretch. The winner, is number 5, Will Take Charge and the horse next to him on the rail with the white and red striped jockey is Kentucky Derby winner, Orb.

PS. Glad your shrimp are doing well...I've got a 20 gallon (long) tank that is cycling and I hope to have some shrimp in there in a few weeks

Last edited by Saxtonhill; 09-19-2013 at 02:39 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 09-19-2013, 02:26 PM   #88
Saxtonhill
Planted Tank Obsessed

What the 60 gallon tank looks like now...it's tough to get a good photo but the Hygrophila difformis (wisteria) is actually doing pretty well and growing bushier by the day. The black neons actually spawned in it last week! There is a lot of algae on the back glass and still the smudges near the front right glass.

What the 20 gallon (high) looks like now...sold the guppies and ghost shrimp and put in a few female bettas. (yes, I still need a background for the back of the tank...) I've been looking for a good piece of drift wood to help fill in the gaps...but might go with some taller anubias....

Last edited by Saxtonhill; 09-19-2013 at 02:44 PM.. Reason: added photo and spelling
Old 09-24-2013, 09:01 PM   #89
Saxtonhill
Planted Tank Obsessed

30 gallon update...took out the Hygrophilia difformis and added cryptocoryne var. red wendtii in the right back. The Hygro went into the 60 gallon. (I bought the crypt...obviously didn't grow that one myself...it sure is a nice one though. Hope I can keep it happy)

30 gallon occupants...large marble angelfish and 8 aeneus cory cats. The angelfish has so much personality The cory cats really like congregating in the anubias and the crypts.

Last edited by Saxtonhill; 09-25-2013 at 10:06 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old 12-27-2013, 11:30 AM   #90
Saxtonhill
Planted Tank Obsessed

Haven't posted for a while due to helping with long range hospice care for my Mom, which is still ongoing. I was able to add some black skirt tetras to the 60 gallon tank the other day. My Mom really likes to watch the fish.

Picture was blown up to a bigger size and isn't the greatest...(the tannish round object on the fishes bally is actually a small pond snail on the back tank wall)

The 60 gallon...(sorry in advance about the pink plant---it's a plastic rotala...it's not staying forever but was added a week ago for some visual appeal for my Mom). I'm on the hunt for a live plant to put in it's place. The vals and wisteria are long gone...thinking about a wall of anubias maybe...or putting the stem plants in small pots perhaps to ensure they have better soil...

Last edited by Saxtonhill; 12-27-2013 at 05:32 PM.. Reason: my bad spelling...