20G tank and learning about live plants - Page 4
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Old 05-11-2013, 06:54 PM   #46
Saxtonhill
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

whooops---some hair algae starting up in the 30 gallon...otherwise things are going well. Will do some water changes and testing...something's out of balance...maybe feeding the fish a bit too much...

\

the crypts are coming along and becoming more dense in the 30 gallon

Last edited by Saxtonhill; 05-11-2013 at 07:39 PM.. Reason: spelling
Saxtonhill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2013, 07:04 PM   #47
Saxtonhill
Planted Tank Obsessed

the crypts seem happy in the 10 gallon betta tank. The substrate is 2 inches of mineralized soil, capped by sand and then some gravel. I also used some root tabs.

Last edited by Saxtonhill; 05-11-2013 at 07:05 PM.. Reason: my bad spelling <sigh>
Old 05-11-2013, 07:19 PM   #48
Saxtonhill
Planted Tank Obsessed

Lots of algae in here...it's green algae and the gold fish seem to like eating some of it...saving money to get the goldfish a tank over 100 gallons...but for now 40g will have to do...I've got 2 HOB filters and an airstone going on this one and no water problems...just algae...though the java ferns seem to be doing better here than in the tropical tanks...

have had the 2 larger comets almost 8 years...the others were rescues from tanks at work and a couple (the 2 fan tails) were in a friend's fish bowl...they're happy and active but would like a larger tank

Last edited by Saxtonhill; 05-12-2013 at 11:36 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old 05-11-2013, 08:25 PM   #49
Saxtonhill
Planted Tank Obsessed

This is whatthe 30 gallon looks like now. I was hoping that the Java fern would grow and cover up the heater at right. Any plant suggestions for me for this area on the right? This is a low tech setup with no c02, a T8 15w flourescent bulb with 2 CFL bulbs in reflectors at the sides.

Old 05-12-2013, 11:33 AM   #50
Saxtonhill
Planted Tank Obsessed

Here's the 10 gallon betta tank. Need some suggestions here too for some nice floating plants...the anacharis is Ok for present. Where can I get some frogbit? Also have some of that brownish thin algae on the sides of the aquarium. This is a fairly new set up.

Last edited by Saxtonhill; 05-12-2013 at 11:37 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old 05-13-2013, 09:49 AM   #51
Saxtonhill
Planted Tank Obsessed

Had relatives over to the house this weekend to visit my Mom for Mother's Day. I decided to do some furniture re-arranging and that included moving the 40 gallon goldfish tank to an upstairs bedroom. It was heavy (less water and gravel) and took three people to move it up the stairs. Here it is re-set up and free of most algae. (always liked a bit of the green algae...) Just standard gravel and rocks in here. 2 HOB filters and an airstone.

I am thinking about either more large rocks with java ferns....but liked the photo from DogFish's set up of Asian art themed ceramic pots of anubias in his orenda tank. Maybe there is a way to to a pot-like set up with rocks...will have to think on this...

The java ferns have really done very well in this tank. They've always been near the airstone. When I went to transplant them, they had a nice root system and were attached to the rocks.

The background on this tank is a printed photo on plastic of rocks and some kind of plant...

Last edited by Saxtonhill; 06-03-2013 at 10:43 PM.. Reason: my terrible spelling
Old 06-01-2013, 12:37 PM   #52
Saxtonhill
Planted Tank Obsessed

added a snail to the 10 gallon. Very interesting and fun to watch! It is eating up the algae and also likes pellets. Reading up on what to feed it for care of the shell etc...

Added 2 black mystery snails to the 60 gallon and they're fun to watch also. They seem to be more nocturnal than this blue snail.

Old 06-01-2013, 02:33 PM   #53
EngineChauffer
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)

Very nice tanks! Seems you hit the ground running which I hope to continue doing myself. Nice job!
Old 06-03-2013, 10:41 PM   #54
Saxtonhill
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks, EngineChauffer I'm coming along slowly...so much to learn! This forum has been so helpful! Just today, I got some red Ludwigia stems and some water sprite (tag says Ceratopteris thalictroides). So I'll try those in the 60 gallon for a change in leaf shapes from the anubias, crypts (just LOVE those!) and the jungle vals.

I think your 29 gallon looks very lush and the driftwood really creates a nice habitat The gourami, Fred looks like a really fun centerpiece fish! I enjoyed the photos
Old 06-04-2013, 01:42 PM   #55
Saxtonhill
Planted Tank Obsessed

Here is the ludwigia floating in the 60 gallon. I will plant it soon (and looks like a small piece of the water sprite floating as well).

Last edited by Saxtonhill; 06-04-2013 at 01:43 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 06-04-2013, 01:52 PM   #56
Saxtonhill
Planted Tank Obsessed

The water sprite was a bit brown at the LFS, and I guessed this might be due to lack of lighting(?) I took a chance and when I got it home I trimmed out the worse of the brown portions. Already under the 6500K light in the tank (that super Catalina light! ) the water sprite looks much better. (it was really brown yesterday...) Sadly though, a month ago, when I used some excel to try to eradicate the hair algae, I melted most of my vals. I also shut opff the lights for three days...The corks screw vals I think are gone, but the jungle vals seem to be making a resurgence. I've lowered my light hours to 6-8 a day and that has helped, as have more regular water changes. (live and learn on that one...it was my fault, should have been doing them more reguarly...) But I do have some light film-like 'spots' on the glass.

The young angel fish like the water sprite also

The congensis anubias are doing well...they had been loaded with hair algae as had all the crypts , the driftwood, stones and everything else in the tank...what a mess that was......I'm going to get rid of shreds of moss behind them...there used to be all corkscrew vals back there. I'm hoping to fill that it with the jungle vals as they (hopefully) spread. Big learning curve for me! But this is more fascinating than giving up and tossing in a bunch of plastic plants... ;P I am also thinking I have an awesome higher PAR, T5 light here and I need to study up more on the lighting threads. I want to stay low tech...but this is really a great light...I feel like I have so many more possibilities than before...

Last edited by Saxtonhill; 06-04-2013 at 02:20 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 06-05-2013, 02:48 AM   #57
JLD
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)

This is what I'm shooting for.
JLD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2013, 03:05 PM   #58
PlantedVirgin
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

Very nice documentary regarding your tanks, thanks for sharing. Is your gravel just standard pea-gravel from Home Depot? I am starting this weekend a 30 gal Ram tank with just a couple pairs and some plants. Also trying to find some small river rocks as well (will check HD as well).

Good job!
PlantedVirgin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2013, 02:34 AM   #59
chale
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

You could use Cabomba to help cover that filter. I have it in my 10 gallon with 2 13w CFL bulbs and it grows like crazy. In a month it has covered my heater, air lines and made a nice backdrop in my tank with regular trimming and re-planting. It comes in purple or green.
chale is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2013, 02:23 PM   #60
Saxtonhill
Planted Tank Obsessed

VP...I am using mineralized top soil capped by EcoComplete and also use lots of root tabs. I mixed some laterite with the EcoComplete as well. There are some really great threads on the forum about soil and or dirt and what to cap it with. Have fun rock hunting! I very much like the look of rocks with the plants and being in western New England...we have waaaaay too many rocks in our soil LOL!

Chale...I like the look of the Cabomba. I will read up on that plant I need to cover up the heater tube and also the filter uptake...

JLD...lots of great threads on this Forum. Enjoy reading and take your time. I have to go slowly as this is such an expensive hobby and I tried to pick easy beginner plants. I still have a lot to learn too! This sure is a fun hobby though!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.