Looking into getting into the hobby of shooting and guns. Advice? - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Forums > The Lounge & Introductions

Old 01-14-2013, 08:15 PM   #16
The Dude
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/100%)

It will cost you a bit more than a 10/22, but I could also sell this for double what it cost me to put it together 2 years ago. Then there is the Surefire suppressor that I got for Christmas ;-)
Member #13

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=678009
The Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2013, 09:48 PM   #17
Zefrik
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Thanks everybody. I will most likely start off with trying to find a club, instructor,class or something along those lines. I just feel a little intimidated walking into a gun store since I really lack any sort of gun knowledge. Not to mention the fact that I don't have the physical appearance of a person that would have an interest in guns.
Zefrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:53 PM   #18
vnghost
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

try yelping a good friendly gunstore or googling one. most gun store owners/employees are hot headed ass holes. i specially choose to do business at only a few in my area because they are alot friendlier and treat everyone right regardless of your diversity. or bring a pretty girl with you and theyll give you all their time.
vnghost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:45 PM   #19
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zefrik View Post
Thanks everybody. I will most likely start off with trying to find a club, instructor,class or something along those lines. I just feel a little intimidated walking into a gun store since I really lack any sort of gun knowledge. Not to mention the fact that I don't have the physical appearance of a person that would have an interest in guns.

I suggest you post about this on the Kansas forum and see if anyone here on TPT lives near you that might mentor you.

If possible consider a trip to the Kansas City Cabelas. Cabelelas 'tends' to have a little friendlier staff at the gun counter. I've been shoot over 40 years and I don't like dealing with most of the "counter-rambo-@holes" that we find in gunshots and I look exactly like the sterotype gun owner.

In the mean time there is a lot on info on Youtube. Two of the better reviewer channels are GunBlast and HICKOK45.
DogFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:10 AM   #20
The Dude
Planted Tank Enthusiast

How big are you? I'm not a collector, but I view this as pretty simple. Different guns for different situations. You really can't go wrong with a Mossberg or Remington 870 12 gauge. You can't go wrong with a Ruger 10/22 takedown. Can't go wrong with a high quality AR (most expensive), or a high quality .308. From there you can go into specialized weapons (AR pistol, 30-06) These are just my opinions. Personally I also like 9mm's (for the wife) and .45 ACP. I only purchase Glock pistols though.
Member #13

Old 01-15-2013, 12:16 AM   #21
Zefrik
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
How big are you? I'm not a collector, but I view this as pretty simple. Different guns for different situations. You really can't go wrong with a Mossberg or Remington 870 12 gauge. You can't go wrong with a Ruger 10/22 takedown. Can't go wrong with a high quality AR (most expensive), or a high quality .308. From there you can go into specialized weapons (AR pistol, 30-06) These are just my opinions. Personally I also like 9mm's (for the wife) and .45 ACP. I only purchase Glock pistols though.
I am 5'11 and around 220lbs.
Zefrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:11 AM   #22
blink
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbarn View Post
Look into joining local private gun club. You will meet other people with similar interest, go to events and take safety courses.
This!

Getting involved with a club is a good step, it shows some initiative and interest and lets people know that you are taking it seriously. Perhaps volunteer as a range officer or helper, for much the same reasons.
blink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:32 AM   #23
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by pejerrey View Post
.... A short barrel pump shotgun with pistol grip is more attractive to me....
Trust me, shoot a 12ga w/a pistol grip once with buck shot or a slug and you'll lose the attraction REAL fast. Keep in mind those movie hero's are NOT shooting real shot shells.

If you want a home defense shot gun, I suggest the Rem 870HD. It comes with a factory mag extension. I added a Knoxx stock to mine. With the Knoox stock #1 & Deer Slugs feel like #8 out of a 410.

A 125 lumen flashlight & XS ghost ring sights round out the package

Old 01-15-2013, 06:12 AM   #24
pejerrey
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

I was thinking to use birdshot or something a bit bigger in the house, I don't want to hurt a neighbor. I imagine a slug would go thru the walls

A heavily planted shrimp tank is possible!
pejerrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:02 PM   #25
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by pejerrey View Post
I was thinking to use birdshot or something a bit bigger in the house, I don't want to hurt a neighbor. I imagine a slug would go thru the walls
I only mentioned deer slugs due to recoil. You are correct they are not a good choice for home defense.

Everyone that shoots has has their theories about what to use for home defense that range from their misperceptions of what a jury might think to what would Rambo do. I prefer to go with scientific study.

"For personal defense and law enforcement applications, the International Wound Ballistics Association advocates number 1 buckshot as being superior to all other buckshot sizes.

Number 1 buck is the smallest diameter shot that reliably and consistently penetrates more than 12 inches of standard ordnance gelatin when fired at typical shotgun engagement distances. A standard 2 -inch 12 gauge shotshell contains 16 pellets of #1 buck. The total combined cross sectional area of the 16 pellets is 1.13 square inches. Compared to the total combined cross sectional area of the nine pellets in a standard #00 (double-aught) buck shotshell (0.77 square inches), the # 1 buck shotshell has the capacity to produce over 30 percent more potentially effective wound trauma."

Use that as a starting point and research the topic. Science trumps Hollywood fantasy or 'Goober Gun talk' every time.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:01 PM   #26
Overfloater
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (73/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zefrik View Post
If you go into a shop and the staff is anything but nice to you, go somewhere else. There are plenty of great shops around that will treat you with respect and dignity. No reason to look down on you because you're new.

Explain to the shop that you are new and don't have any firearm experience and ask them what they would suggest you do. That will give you an immediate bead on their mentality.

Check around for gun clubs. I'm pretty sure most are required to have a public day once a month. That way you can go shoot without becoming a member. Of course you have to have your own firearm though.

Check for local indoor shooting ranges. Most have options to rent guns to use and also have training for newbies.

Have fun!
Old 01-15-2013, 08:42 PM   #27
The Dude
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogFish View Post
I only mentioned deer slugs due to recoil. You are correct they are not a good choice for home defense.

Everyone that shoots has has their theories about what to use for home defense that range from their misperceptions of what a jury might think to what would Rambo do. I prefer to go with scientific study.

"For personal defense and law enforcement applications, the International Wound Ballistics Association advocates number 1 buckshot as being superior to all other buckshot sizes.

Number 1 buck is the smallest diameter shot that reliably and consistently penetrates more than 12 inches of standard ordnance gelatin when fired at typical shotgun engagement distances. A standard 2 -inch 12 gauge shotshell contains 16 pellets of #1 buck. The total combined cross sectional area of the 16 pellets is 1.13 square inches. Compared to the total combined cross sectional area of the nine pellets in a standard #00 (double-aught) buck shotshell (0.77 square inches), the # 1 buck shotshell has the capacity to produce over 30 percent more potentially effective wound trauma."

Use that as a starting point and research the topic. Science trumps Hollywood fantasy or 'Goober Gun talk' every time.
My agency issues 00 buck. That is what I keep in my pistol grip Mossberg as well.
Member #13

Old 01-15-2013, 09:30 PM   #28
Overfloater
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (73/100%)

Agree about the 00 buckshot. You can even buy low recoil shells that have the kick of a birdshot. That's what I kept in my Mossberg for home defense. It's also a good option if a smaller person might need to use the firearm. In my case it was my wife.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:40 AM   #29
Stinkmonky
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)

My family has always been enthusiastic about firearms. My grandfather purchased me a .22 rifle right after I came out of the hospital from birth. I'm not of age to purchase a weapon myself either. One thing I've picked up though is that you must treat all weaponry with respect. Not only for your safety but the people around you will treat you with respect as well if they see a novice displaying proper handling, care, and attitude. Personally I think some people go overboard about the rules but there is certainly validity in that. I can recommend a ruger 10/22 . I love mine. Great starter rifle.
Stinkmonky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:29 AM   #30
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
My agency issues 00 buck. That is what I keep in my pistol grip Mossberg as well.
I can understand how LEOs need 00 for additional penetration. Consider this test http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot3_2.htm

00 penetrated 7 sheets of dry wall!