planaria and tank cycling
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 01-14-2013, 05:12 AM   #1
pika40607

PTrader: (0/0%)

planaria and tank cycling

I've been doing fishless cycling for a couple weeks now, and was graciously given an entire used filter foam from another enthusiast. I am now only dosing up to 1-2ppm every other day and have been doing about 30-40% wc about every 3 days. The ammonia is getting eaten up and nitrates are reading high on my test kits. I am not concerned about the bacteria, as it seems it is able to process the ammonia pretty easily at this point.

However I have noticed that there are little white things on my glass which according to a google search and some research on this forum, might be planaria. I recall when i first received the filter foam, there was a lot of crap in it, that clouded up my water. I think perhaps the planaria have come up because of that but Im not sure.

I read that they can pose a threat to RCS, which i plan to keep and I would like them out of my tank if possible. What would be my best course of action? I could do more cleaning and hope that they go away by themselves before the shrimp arrive. Or I could buy some stuff like No Planaria to try to kill them off.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
pika40607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2013, 12:56 PM   #2
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (426/100%)

There's no need to do water changes during the "cycling" process. All you're doing is diluting the ammonia you're adding to the system.

You likely are seeing nematodes, little, squiggly white worms that are common in new tanks. Planaria have triangular heads and range from white to pink to brown in coloration. Take a look at them up close and you'll see what I mean about the head.

If they're planaria, you can wait until your tank is fully cycled and then treat with No Planaria before adding livestock. Continue adding ammonia each day after the cycle is complete in order to maintain live bacteria. Once you're sure no planaria remain, do a complete water change and test after 24 hours - then you should be safe adding livestock.
somewhatshocked is online now   Reply With Quote