HD Blazingwolf's 75G Rainbow. New pics page 8 - Page 5
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 02-11-2013, 10:04 AM   #61
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjb1987 View Post
Not sure... Its the one that came with the kit...it's the rigid tubing..maybe 1.25"
Ahh yes, thats better than using 1 inch, take pictures of how its plumbed we might be able to make it more efficient
What size tank is this on? Or what gph are you shooting for?

Old 02-12-2013, 04:51 AM   #62
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

Quick update at 1 in the morning. I just got done dremelling the drip tray to accept a 1.5 inch bulkhead, now overflow box installed with 1.5 in vinyl tubing as the drain.

Without even so much as a strainer, its just as loud as the cs900 overflow box with silencing tube, durso is halfway built and will be finished tomorrow, its stuffed with a towel right now on top.

Sump doesnt get too pressutized any more like i was hoping so im going to be saving on co2 there, major plus as it has been going quick.

Tank is quiet enough that im about to pass out on the couch next to it!

Pictures to come tomorrow
Old 02-13-2013, 09:49 PM   #63
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

Default Go big or go home

DRAIN LINES.

Put simply, you need a bigger drain line. If you think you don't, you are fooling yourself. I fell under the retail fantasy that a 1 inch drain line can flow 600 gph and supposedly more.

This is false

I read somewhere, which the link will be provided later, that a 1 inch drain line can safely handle 330 gph with NO bends or attachments. and that a 1.5 inch drain line cna handle 750 gph.
EDIT: link www.wetwebmedia.com/SystemPIX/.../Oneinchart.htm

I've found this statement is true. There is surging at any rate of 300 gph on my tanks with just a strainer and one 90 degree at the end before the drip tray, this was made worse at rates over 450 gph where there was a horrible sucking noise even with a silencing /vent tube.
Durso's helped but surging was still problematic and there was still a sucking noise that I could hear.
Wet/Dry section was completely sealed and with air constantly being forced into that section, duck tape was forced loose to allow venting. This wasted co2 with the added benefit of AWESOME oxygen levels.
With a 1.5 inch drain line the Wet/Dry section is sealed but no longer builds pressure and vents out through the drain line. Fresh air is still being sucked down with the water but at a much slower rate and when pressure does build slightly its forced back up through the drain tube and out the drain vent.

To ensure that it is indeed safer, I tested by dumping five gallons of water in rapidly. there was almost no difference in noise, and the overflow box was barely taxed. the drain line did not even fill up. Just smooth draining.

To also support my theory, a herbie method is quite by having a full siphon, AND a trickle of water down a larger drain pipe. (by larger i mean less flow for that dia. pipe is rated for) this produces no gurgles or air noises, and is relatively quite, the same thing is happening here just with larger pipes and larger flow rates.

picture of drip pan with that has been bored to accept 1.5 inch bulkhead. and new overflow box fitted with durso standpipe.
Durso was chosen to adjust height of water in overflow box, especially since the front weir has a 1 inch drop, and to make the drain as quiet as possible since there was no vent tube for this model

* The drain line is not dirty, its actually that color. the return line is dirty *
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-02-12_21-13-27_470.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	87170  

Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-02-12_21-14-06_115.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	87178  

Last edited by HD Blazingwolf; 02-14-2013 at 12:13 PM.. Reason: add link
HD Blazingwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:08 PM   #64
sjb1987
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (132/100%)

So could say the cpr90 kit be drilled for a larger bulkhead

Edit.. I know the sump could but could the overflow box be drilled as well

Last edited by sjb1987; 02-13-2013 at 11:11 PM.. Reason: Clarification
sjb1987 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:49 PM   #65
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

No as i had that size. The bulkhead will not fit.... uuunnnllleeesss

U cut out the last baffle at the bottom. Ull need about a 1.5 inch wide section in the middle about 4 mm tall to allow room for the bulkhead. So its technically possible but i went the easy route there, i may look into doing that now that ive got a spare overflow doing nothing
Old 02-14-2013, 12:41 AM   #66
sjb1987
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Guess I'm stuck with this one for now...oh well its not loud at all just wished it handled the amount of flow it says it does
Old 02-14-2013, 01:27 AM   #67
NWA-Planted
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Default Re: HD Blazingwolf's 75G build-DIY stand.. Way Too Tall!!

Well they do handle those flows at full siphon... So really it's just not advertising rates at which they would normally use.

Kind of like canister filter ratings

Glad you got that straightened out though!!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Sump Pimp #8
RAOK Clubber #28
NWA-Planted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:36 AM   #68
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

600 gph on a one inch drain isnt full siphon its closer to 900.. so my tank woulda been typhooning
I actually got it around 800 and plants were getting ripped out, blown completely sideways.. there was no good way to do that... so for gravity siphoning. Bigger is better
Old 02-14-2013, 01:49 AM   #69
NWA-Planted
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Blazingwolf View Post
600 gph on a one inch drain isnt full siphon its closer to 900.. so my tank woulda been typhooning
I actually got it around 800 and plants were getting ripped out, blown completely sideways.. there was no good way to do that... so for gravity siphoning. Bigger is better
Ok ok so a little off.... Thats why you use ball valves... More importantly to the last part...

Thats what she said.... O h Yea!!!! Haha

Sump Pimp #8
RAOK Clubber #28
Old 02-14-2013, 02:21 AM   #70
sjb1987
Planted Tank Enthusiast

So I have a 700 gph pump and I have a durso stand pipe installed and when I open my ball valve wide open on my pump then my water rises over my weir instead of goin through the little slits on the box...how do I fix this problem... At first I thought it was the filter/strainer in the back chamber restricting it but that was not the case... Any ideas? Sorry to hijack your thread HD
Old 02-14-2013, 12:03 PM   #71
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjb1987 View Post
So I have a 700 gph pump and I have a durso stand pipe installed and when I open my ball valve wide open on my pump then my water rises over my weir instead of goin through the little slits on the box...how do I fix this problem... At first I thought it was the filter/strainer in the back chamber restricting it but that was not the case... Any ideas? Sorry to hijack your thread HD
how high does it go on the last baffle? that's a major factor in how high it goes up on the front weir as the water is being pulled through the overflow, its a basic siphon affect, water is cohesive so it will try to pull more through. if the last baffle does not have any kind of water fall and the back chamber is really, this effect isnt as strong

so we need to start there. mine was handling around 700-800 with a one inch return wide open but there was no drop
on the back baffle at that point the drain line was able to take no more

another thing u can try is reduce the size of the vent holes,
this will cause it to pull more water for a stronger siphon, the downside is more noise and surging, the back and forth effect

Quote:
NWA-Planted
Ok ok so a little off.... Thats why you use ball valves... More importantly to the last part...

Thats what she said.... O h Yea!!!! Haha

what happens if that lines stops up??
the emergency line really isnt that big either, so u run into the same problem, that makes noise, okay its the emergency bi deal, what if its stopped up and can't handle the flow. which is a possibility. bigger drain line. vent pressure appropriately. no surging effect, no gurgle, co2 savings are wicked good. oxygenation is still good, i've found the win win. and there's no modification needed really. buy it right the first time. or make it right the first time
Old 02-14-2013, 12:40 PM   #72
NWA-Planted
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
how high does it go on the last baffle? that's a major factor in how high it goes up on the front weir as the water is being pulled through the overflow, its a basic siphon affect, water is cohesive so it will try to pull more through. if the last baffle does not have any kind of water fall and the back chamber is really, this effect isnt as strong

so we need to start there. mine was handling around 700-800 with a one inch return wide open but there was no drop
on the back baffle at that point the drain line was able to take no more

another thing u can try is reduce the size of the vent holes,
this will cause it to pull more water for a stronger siphon, the downside is more noise and surging, the back and forth effect

how did i not see that comming???

what happens if that lines stops up??
the emergency line really isnt that big either, so u run into the same problem, that makes noise, okay its the emergency bi deal, what if its stopped up and can't handle the flow. which is a possibility. bigger drain line. vent pressure appropriately. no surging effect, no gurgle, co2 savings are wicked good. oxygenation is still good, i've found the win win. and there's no modification needed really. buy it right the first time. or make it right the first time
If you go full siphon, you have to have two drain lines. So say the full siphon line clogs, water backs up the secondary which will go to full siphon, there will be surging so there's your immediate red flag to check it.

My old setup the full siphon bulkhead was flush and the emergency drain compartment was raised with a piece of pvc, i had the ball valve closed down enough that just a trickle was always going down the secondary for oxygenation. I just really liked the full siphon, dead quite tons of flow and reduced co2 costs.

Sump Pimp #8
RAOK Clubber #28
Old 02-14-2013, 12:58 PM   #73
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWA-Planted View Post
If you go full siphon, you have to have two drain lines. So say the full siphon line clogs, water backs up the secondary which will go to full siphon, there will be surging so there's your immediate red flag to check it.

My old setup the full siphon bulkhead was flush and the emergency drain compartment was raised with a piece of pvc, i had the ball valve closed down enough that just a trickle was always going down the secondary for oxygenation. I just really liked the full siphon, dead quite tons of flow and reduced co2 costs.

the issue still lies, what if the second drain is clogged? that's what im saying.. sizing still comes down as a factor
what if a nerite went down the emergency drain and was stuck at a fiting??? not likely, but
murphy's law is prominant for a reason
Old 02-14-2013, 01:13 PM   #74
NWA-Planted
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
the issue still lies, what if the second drain is clogged? that's what im saying.. sizing still comes down as a factor
what if a nerite went down the emergency drain and was stuck at a fiting??? not likely, but
murphy's law is prominant for a reason
In that case why don't you have 4 drains back there!!! Lol

Sump Pimp #8
RAOK Clubber #28
Old 02-14-2013, 01:15 PM   #75
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWA-Planted View Post
In that case why don't you have 4 drains back there!!! Lol

bwaahahaha you'll never convert me
and apparently i wont convert you either!!!