Java moss help
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Plants

Old 01-13-2013, 09:53 PM   #1
newbieplanter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (26/100%)

Java moss help

I got some java moss from Malaysia a few weeks ago and threaded it to some rocks an put them in the tanks I also keep my turtles in ( RES ) well now the moss is turning brown in both tanks, one of my turtles striped most of it off the rocks so its kinda floating at the bottom around the rocks it was on one covered in a little sand anyway I only have the plant/aquarium light bulbs an the turtle bulbs for lighting in both tanks and I do not measure the things like the PH an stuff like that what can I do to keep my moss besides take the turtles out? I just got a bottle of Nutrafin plant gro to see what happens. I do plan to do a planted tank later.
newbieplanter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2013, 10:22 PM   #2
BruceF
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

What's the temperature of the water?
BruceF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:40 PM   #3
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

How long is the lighting on for each day?

What kind bulbs are you using (we need more information regarding your bulbs....what plant/aquarium bulbs are you using? Incandescent? Fluorescent?)

Also, when you received the plant from Malaysia, how much of it was brown? Was it sitting outside for a long time (temperature issues, etc)?

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:19 PM   #4
Kyguylal
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

Unrelated, but I see you're in Boston as well. There are some stores here in the city that sell some plants and such too
Kyguylal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:39 AM   #5
newbieplanter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Default Boston plant stores

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyguylal View Post
Unrelated, but I see you're in Boston as well. There are some stores here in the city that sell some plants and such too
Where I hope just a few stops on tha train?
Old 01-14-2013, 10:42 AM   #6
newbieplanter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The temp is always about 82-83deg.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:50 AM   #7
newbieplanter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Default Bulb info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post
How long is the lighting on for each day?

What kind bulbs are you using (we need more information regarding your bulbs....what plant/aquarium bulbs are you using? Incandescent? Fluorescent?)

Also, when you received the plant from Malaysia, how much of it was brown? Was it sitting outside for a long time (temperature issues, etc)?
The lights are on about 10-11 hours, I got a 100 baskin, a 10.0 UVB, and two bulbs I got from Home Depot that say plant / aquarium I would guess they are fluorescent they are the long tube bulbs like in any office building told ya I was new to this, they light up like a purple color.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:16 PM   #8
BruceF
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

I grow java moss on the windowsill in the bathroom in tap water. I am not sure what moss you have but some of them don’t like being too warm. It doesn’t really need much light at all. I am not familiar with turtle’s and their by products but normally a little fert won’t hurt. I would suggest you try growing some in a large jar or glass bowl for a while and see how it does.
BruceF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:45 PM   #9
newbieplanter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceF View Post
I grow java moss on the windowsill in the bathroom in tap water. I am not sure what moss you have but some of them donít like being too warm. It doesnít really need much light at all. I am not familiar with turtleís and their by products but normally a little fert wonít hurt. I would suggest you try growing some in a large jar or glass bowl for a while and see how it does.
It was my mistake it is x-mas moss, I looked back at the order I placed and that's what it is. Would u be willing let go a nice portion say about a sandwich bag full compressed to about 1/2-3/4" thick I don't really know how to measure it but I guess that would be more than enough?
I did get some fertilizer the other day an put a couple more bulbs in the tank I might have mentioned it in the beginning post it's liquid though not shure if liquid or the tabs/ sticks are better?

Tags
dead moss, moss java, x- mas moss