Used 125 needs to be resealed, need help.
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 08-10-2003, 06:05 PM   #1
Jimbojam
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Ok my old 125 that i'm getting ready to put back together looks like the silicone in the corners needs to be stripped and redone. I have never done this before so if anyone has any idea's, techniques, or material ideas. Please let me know. Also the tank never leaked at least yet, but i can see where the silicone is pealing off or gone in some areas. So i think it would be best if i sealed this tank before i put it back together.

The wife would kill me if it leaked!
Thanks Jim
Jimbojam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2003, 06:07 PM   #2
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to GulfCoastAquarian Send a message via Yahoo to GulfCoastAquarian

Wow, sounds like a risky project. I would definitely strip all traces of silicone off that tank and carefully re-glue it. Then I'd fill it partway and let it sit outdoors or in a well-drained area in case it spills. 125 gallons of water will never ever completely dry.
Old 08-11-2003, 06:11 PM   #3
digger
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to digger

Make sure you are using aquarium silicone. The stuff for bathrooms has a fungicide in it that is toxic to fish and plants.
digger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2003, 07:34 AM   #4
rdn2
Algae Grower

I have resealed 2 10's, a 29, and now a 55 gallon. All with flawless results. The ones I have done I only scraped what's on the inside of the tank, I don't actually pull the tank apart. In my tanks I didn't have any leaks they just looked crappy so I saw no need to totally redo the silcone. Anyway what I have done is use a straight flat razor blade in one of those scraper handles you can get at the hardware store to scrape all the corners and the bottom of the tank until there is no silicone or just little patches of very thin film of it. I've found it helps to change to a new blade now and then. Plus I seem to have knack for cracking the blades flexing them too much so I keep several spare blades on hand. Then I use my shop vac to get all the scraped silicone I can't pick up out of the tank by hand. Next I use rubbing alcohol and a clean rag and scrub all of the seams to clean them and remove any leftover silicone film. Next I get my aquarium safe silicone and cut the tip for a very thin (about 1/8") bead and run a bead on the seams. I smooth them with a finger I have dipped in water (so the silicone won't stick to it as easy or use a rubber glove.) Once I have sealed and smoothed all the seams I let it sit overnight. I stick a nail or screw or something like that in the tip of the silicone tube if it doesn't have replaceable cap so I can use it again the next day. After letting it sit overnight I cut the tip of my silicone tube for a wider (about a 1/4") bead. Then I seal all of the seams again and smooth it just like before. That's it!!! I have let all of mine sit for a week or so afterwards so I know the silicone is fully cured. Then I take them out to the back porch and slowly fill them watching for leaks. Once I'm comfortable with the seal job I drain it and set it up. I have not had one problem doing it this way, but don't blame me if something goes wrong and your wife beats you to a pulp because you flooded her living room with smelly fish water.

Let me know if you have any questions or I wasn't clear about some part.

Ron
rdn2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2003, 12:33 AM   #5
Jimbojam
Algae Grower

Thanks Ron,
I have already done the tank. ( to impatient ) But i did nearly exactly the directions you have given.

The results at least so far look like a new tank! We will see when i fill it with water? In which i will wait a week like you said to fill it.

Thanks Everyone Jim
Old 08-13-2003, 01:38 AM   #6
rdn2
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbojam

The results at least so far look like a new tank!
Glad it worked out for you.

It's amazing how much difference it makes stripping out the old silicone and replacing it with new...

I've got a friend in the glass business who is going to bring over some glass polish to get the minor scratches out of my 29 gallon then it should look just about perfect for a while...

Ron
rdn2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2003, 06:20 PM   #7
Jimbojam
Algae Grower

Filled the tank last night.....And no leaks for at least 12 hrs. so far it's looking good.

Again thanks for the help Jim

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.