quick question
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 01-12-2013, 09:01 PM   #1
babydragons
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)

quick question

I am not happy with the plant growth in the tank. I want to switch to flourite mixed with eco complete. If I take all the plants and shrimp out and house them in a bucket for a few hours will I be able to safely put them back in the tank tonight? I will be leaving a layer of old substrate at the bottom to try to help with the bacteria.
babydragons is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2013, 09:28 PM   #2
2Shi
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Throw a filter in the temporary house that you will be keeping the fish and shrimp. Also, use a desk lamp or something over the temporary holding area to keep the water from becoming too cold.

Keeping a layer of your old substrate is a good idea. However, if you want to do a 100% substrate change then you can stick some of the old gravel in pantyhose and keep that in the tank for a few days.

Last edited by 2Shi; 01-12-2013 at 09:28 PM.. Reason: misspelled word
2Shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:51 PM   #3
babydragons
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks for the info. The old substrate is sand so its no big deal if it stays in there. Atleast not to me. And good idea about the lamp and filter. Didn't think of that. I know I will lose some of my baby shrimp but I have so many that I can kinda live with that.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:50 AM   #4
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (174/100%)

i'd toss in an airstone and heater for safety measure to keep things more comfortable during the transition. have you been using fertilizer to feed your plants?
Old 01-13-2013, 09:57 AM   #5
danielt
Planted Tank Obsessed

You will have a Nitrite spike anyway. You should prepare for a longer term to keep your fish until things settle. Bacteria will colonize the fresh substrate in the same order as with cycling. First the bacteria that turns Ammonia into Nitrite will grow on the substrate than the Nitrite to Nitrate ones. You will have a Nitrite spike because of this. The pantyhose is just a sexy idea to keep the old medium but will not cover for this.

Any change in the quantity of bacteria will do this. The method of replacing the substrate is the other way around. You put the new substrate in so it gets colonized. After a month or so you replace it.

TL;DR

Add bacteria not subtract bacteria and you should be ok
danielt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:44 PM   #6
bikinibottom
Algae Grower

What about the plant growth are you unhappy about? While I do think you should change the substrate if it is all sand, I'm not sure that changing the substrate alone will solve your problem.
bikinibottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:29 PM   #7
laqu
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

seachem stability is great, instant stabiltiy ... just saying... as is prime

-- okay beat on me now... i know ... i know... but it's WAY easier ...
1 betta

Here they are http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/al...p?albumid=9625

6 gallon journal
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...208&highlight=

you can see more photos here the 4 8" cubes are on flicker... will get to their journal at some point (they are fun as they change often)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/laq/

webdesign: www.littleowlwebdesign.com
laqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:36 PM   #8
babydragons
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I originally started the tank with something my boyfriends brother had gotten. For the life of me I can't remember what it was. I definately planned on adding more of it to the tank.

@bikinibottom - one of the biggest problems with the plant growth is some plants have grown while most have not. You are right I have an all sand bottom. Someone (my boyfriend) talked me into it when I knew I should have gotten something different. Another problem is the light. No matter how much I read about the PAR its so fricking confusing to me that I don't think its right. But I figured start with one issue at a time right?
Old 01-13-2013, 03:41 PM   #9
babydragons
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by acitydweller View Post
i'd toss in an airstone and heater for safety measure to keep things more comfortable during the transition. have you been using fertilizer to feed your plants?
Will do with the airstone and heater. Never got to do this last night as i went out for the substrate pretty late. And I have been using ferts. I purchased liquid ferts, macros and micros, from one of the members here. I've been using them for almost a month. My ludwigia is still the same size as well as my indian sword. And my sunset crypt just hasnt grown any new leaves as well as this other unknown plant. So I figured I better start changing something
Old 01-13-2013, 05:48 PM   #10
laqu
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

i got better growth soon as i added DIY CO2 ... warning it's a PAIN IN THE .....

if i had the $$ i'd go paintball...
1 betta

Here they are http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/al...p?albumid=9625

6 gallon journal
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...208&highlight=

you can see more photos here the 4 8" cubes are on flicker... will get to their journal at some point (they are fun as they change often)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/laq/

webdesign: www.littleowlwebdesign.com
laqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:25 PM   #11
babydragons
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I really don't want to try co2 yet. i want to try fixing the problem before i have to spend more money

Tags
change, substrate, switch