Re-arranged
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Aquascaping

Old 06-17-2013, 11:33 AM   #1
Hardy85
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Re-arranged

What do you guys think of the new layout

First pic is the old layout

Last edited by Hardy85; 02-27-2014 at 01:24 PM..
Hardy85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2013, 03:28 PM   #2
Hardy85
Planted Member

No opinions... I have thick skin if you don't like it. Looking for some constructive criticism
Old 06-17-2013, 03:33 PM   #3
Jahn
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

i like the stumpish one to the side instead of the middle. one more piece with a long branch arching across the tank would be nice.
Old 06-17-2013, 06:04 PM   #4
Hardy85
Planted Member

I am in the process of trying to get this upgraded to a 75g so that I have more surface area to play with.

Once I do though I want to add some nice rock to plant around
Old 06-17-2013, 06:14 PM   #5
astex
Algae Grower

I think the wood needs to be shifted over a bit to get it out of the corner and more at the golden ratio point of view. Other than that, I like the look.
astex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2013, 10:17 PM   #6
Cthulhu
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

My main criticism is as Astex said, the wood is obviously the focal point and so should be moved at the golden ratio spot. Also, the vals and the plants bunched in the right look kinda messy.

But it's still very nice, I'm just pointing out what I think would make it look even better
Cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2013, 07:46 AM   #7
vasol
Algae Grower

i would move the piece of wood 33% or a third from the left. too centered in the first pic and too far to the left in the second one!
vasol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2013, 09:25 AM   #8
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (171/100%)

is this a 55g tank?

i would opt for thinner and multiple pieces of branched driftwood rather than the thicker ones in the tank. Its rather difficult to scape with tree stumps to provide a sense of dimension while having plants fill in between.

also i would group the like plants together as the randomness of the amazon swords across the tank really detracts from the scape than attribute. try moving the amazons all into a thicker bush towards the center as a new focal point.

the hygro augustfolia would look great along 1/3 of the back wall of the tank to give some illusion of depth.

i quite like the original driftwood position of the upside down "y" but shifted to the right in the 3/5ths position in the tank closer to where the other shorter piece was. Then i would take the shorter piece and place beneath the upside down "y" to fill the cavity so the wood would be better grouped while maintaining the original orientation of the pieces. I think the orientiation of the pieces was spot on, but the position in the tank was slightly less than favorable.

leave the 2/5ths of the left side of the tank bare for foreground so the perception of height scales from left to right with the right containing all the tall plants.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:37 AM   #9
Hardy85
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
My main criticism is as Astex said, the wood is obviously the focal point and so should be moved at the golden ratio spot. Also, the vals and the plants bunched in the right look kinda messy.

But it's still very nice, I'm just pointing out what I think would make it look even better

The plants are actually a bunch of hygro that is making the messy look, they need a good trim and re-planting
Old 06-18-2013, 12:42 PM   #10
Farmer
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acitydweller View Post
i quite like the original driftwood position of the upside down "y" but shifted to the right in the 3/5ths position in the tank closer to where the other shorter piece was. Then i would take the shorter piece and place beneath the upside down "y" to fill the cavity so the wood would be better grouped while maintaining the original orientation of the pieces. I think the orientiation of the pieces was spot on, but the position in the tank was slightly less than favorable.
I agree. I certainly wouldn't have the wood on the left with current planting. That y piece of wood is very interesting, make sure you don't cover it with the other piece but I would certainly combine them.

I like the planting as it is. But I can see acitydweller's point too.

Linds
Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2013, 01:07 PM   #11
Hardy85
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer View Post
I agree. I certainly wouldn't have the wood on the left with current planting. That y piece of wood is very interesting, make sure you don't cover it with the other piece but I would certainly combine them.

I like the planting as it is. But I can see acitydweller's point too.

Linds
The Y shaped wood is a tad to big to be placed in most placed, it either needs to be parallel with the tank, or at a slight scew like it is now, Once I get the 75 (hopefully in the next month) my plan will be to have it on the 1/3 mark to the right, with the turface in the back two corners and sand in the front and middle.

My plan is like this:
Have the piece that is in front, standing on left side (left 1/3), have Y piece opposite at right, have the 3 sword plants in the center, in front of the swords have a few small crypts. Behind the driftwood have the hygro on both sides. And then find some good stones to have randomly around the base of the driftwood with plants between them.

I do need a few flat stones to make the rams happy. Tank will hopefully be sloped towards the back (but not to severe)

Last edited by Hardy85; 02-27-2014 at 01:24 PM..
Old 06-18-2013, 01:42 PM   #12
Aplomado
Planted Tank Obsessed

I'd add some more rock or drift wood. It looks a little empty.
Aplomado is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2013, 08:58 PM   #13
puopg
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)

I liked the OG layout more since it looked more natural and less empty in the middle.
puopg is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2013, 11:44 AM   #14
Hardy85
Planted Member

well I now should have a 75 lined up. So I need to go rock hunting
Old 06-19-2013, 11:54 AM   #15
Hardy85
Planted Member

Ok, here is a list of the plants that are now in the 55 - soon to be 75. Anyone able to do a draw up for a good placement strategy?

Hygrophilia Angustifolia
Rotala Rotundifolia
Rotala Indica
Amazon Sword
Sagittaria Chilensis
Dwarf Sag (only 2 right now)
Red Wendtii Crypt
Java Fern
Temple Narrow Leaf
Moneywort
and one other plant I can't think of the name for

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.