New Custom catalina t5/led light fixture!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 01-14-2013, 02:44 AM   #1
Adam T
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

New Custom catalina t5/led light fixture!

Well it came yesterday, so as promised here's the rundown of my new Catalina fixture:

For those who didnt see the starter thread here is the design I sent to Catalina
Click image for larger version

Name:	36 inch planted aquarium light final design.png
Views:	43
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	66114

Packaging- arrived perfectly. The way it was packaged would have made it difficult for it to have been damaged.

Appearance- Beautifully crafted, paint was not really dry or didnt cure properly on screws, but not a big deal.

Name:	IMG_0079.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	129.9 KB
ID:	66122

Name:	IMG_0080.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	66130

Lights- its bright... heres some shots of the different light modes.

Name:	IMG_0082.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	66138
outside t5's on one switch

Name:	IMG_0095.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	66146
The center bulb kicks on by itself as do the leds, but the pics I took of the individual functions dont give a good color rndering so I wont bother posting them. Here's everything on and a pretty accurate depiction of color.

I ultimately decided on 2x 6,000k giesemann middays for the outside t5's, and 1 aquaflor for the center bulb. The leds are supposed to be 6,700k (and they very well might be) but they look really cool to me, and Ive been at this for a while. If I had to guess id say the color they actually throw is closer to 8,000k or 10,000k. Not a problem for me, but it did cut out the need for the 15,000k I bought for apparantly no reason. I tried two aquafloras on the outside with the 15,000k in the middle and it was a very nice color (especially with the leds on, but it was just a little too warm for me. With the blue moonlights turned all the way up it adds just the right amount of blue.

Heres some shots of the tank under the new light:

Name:	IMG_0099.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	176.7 KB
ID:	66162
two aquaflora combo

Name:	IMG_0083.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	157.9 KB
ID:	66170
6,000k bulb combo

Name:	IMG_0101.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	153.0 KB
ID:	66186
just the leds 36w 6,700k 6w royal blue

Overall I think the light is great. Its exactly what I asked for and the plants are already reacting to it on the second day. Its the same wattage as 4 t5's pretty much but with a much better spread and a great deal of controlability (4 chords in total as requested). It set up to work with coralife legs, which I didnt get even though I had asked for them >.< and it does not have a splash guard. I just put two pieces of glass under it and set it right on the top of the tank. The unit is very well designed and aerated so it stays really cool (even to the touch) with no fans. Its 12" wide so it gives great cover on a 18" deeptank even set right on the tank.

The fixture is 36"L x 12"W x 3"H and uses three 39w t5's. The final priced was $450 shipped w/o bulbs. I know there are alot of options out there in this price range, but this light fits my needs perfectly and its worth every penny. I am confident this fixture would have no trouble growing all but the most demanding corals with very little modification (changing the 1w emmitters to 3w would handle it no problem). Jim was awesome to work with and delivered on his word.

Catalina has a scaled down retail version available on their website at
http://www.catalinaaquarium.com/stor...ath=71_198_199

its very reasonably priced.

Hope yall like it!
Adam T is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2013, 03:16 AM   #2
150EH
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)

Nice, he does a good job and quickly, not to mention a more than fair price. No moonlight photo?
150EH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 03:27 AM   #3
Adam T
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I'll post one but it is so untrue to what it actually looks like I kind of have a problem with it. To the naked eye there are just a few spotlighted areas of blue and a very dull glow that permeates the tank. In the picture the whole tank looks bright blue. Just be warned it is no where near that bright in real life.

Name:	IMG_0090.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	66202

my camera struggled with the shimmering and low light, but you get the idea.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0089.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	66210  

Adam T is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 04:16 AM   #4
snailer
Algae Grower

PTrader: (66/100%)

Nice light. Thanks for sharing the pics.
snailer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.