Maintaining Nitrifying Bacteria in a planted shrimp tank
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 01-12-2013, 01:16 AM   #1
pika40607

PTrader: (0/0%)

Maintaining Nitrifying Bacteria in a planted shrimp tank

I'm planning on doing a small 10g planted shrimp tank with RCS. I've been doing fishless cycling method to prepare the tank, and it can now easily remove 4ppm ammonia in 24hrs. The plan is to raise some shrimp for a couple months until the population increases to a small colony ~50+, then I wanted to add in a small school of 7-10 neon tetras.

My concern is that because the bioload of RCS is so small that all the nitrifying bacteria will die off in the time that it takes for the shrimp population to multiply. And when I finally do decide to add the small fish, there will not be enough bacteria present to support them.

So my questions to the community are:

1. How do you maintain a decent amount of nitrifying bacteria if the shrimp bioload is so small?

2. Is there anything that I can do to prevent a possible minicycle when I add in some fish (after ~2 months)?

3. The tank currently only has plants as I continue to dose 2ppm ammonia and do PWC. Should I continue to add a drop or 2 of ammonia after adding shrimp, in order to keep the bacteria alive?
pika40607 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2013, 01:21 AM   #2
GeToChKn
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Some bacteria will die off but they will multiple quickly once established. I wouldn't worry about. If that was case, adding new fish to your tank anytime would freak the cycle out.

The shrimp do have a small bioload, so the bacteria will die off and shrink, and when you add the fish, they will multiple quickly enough you should avoid a cycle.

7-10 tetras aren't a huge bioload anyways, and when you add them, don't feed them right away, let your cycle get used to their fish store waste first, then feed the next day and everything should be fine.

I add new fish to my tanks lots of time and never have an issue. Having it planted, the plants are probably sucking up lots of your ammonia anyways.

Sump Pimp #2

My Tanks and my shrimps
GeToChKn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2013, 05:51 PM   #3
pika40607

PTrader: (0/0%)

thanks for the advice
pika40607 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.