The Windowsill Collection
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 01-30-2014, 08:00 PM   #1
AquaAurora
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)

The Windowsill Collection

I probably won't update this often but thought I'd throw these up here. Both were given to me by my niece after failed attempts to keep betta... She said she'd take them back to try again but never has.

Just did a water change so these tanks actually look clear enough to take a photo.

Roughly 6.25 x 6.25 x 6.25 glass tank in some cheap plywood casing (i didn't buy it.. came with the tank) and some light colored gravel that came with the cube. Has a semi-round marimo ball and a small price of Malaysian driftwood with marimo tied to it with fishing line. No fauna (unless there's a hidden micro pond snail in there)

That's not a trick, the ball is really floating from the air bubbles/pearling

And the slightly smaller one 5.75 x 5.75 x 5.75 with my java fern plantlets, most are too tiny still to tie down in the 10 gallon so I let them grow out in this one first. A few miscellaneous moss pieces got in there, don't know what types so just letting them grow for now. Read that java likes water movement so threw in a cheap air-stone (also free-be from my niece), no substrate in this one. Again no fauna unless there is are super tiny baby snails lurking under the leaves.

Temp visitor to the sill, a tomato seedling in a little cup, I dip my fingers in the tiny tanks water and sprinkle it over the soil ever day or two. Soil is Miracle Grow Organic Potting Soil. May try transplanting this to the 10 gallon HOB as it gets bigger if I can find a good tutorial on how to set it up properly to grow in there.

No ferts or CO2 for these guys (excluding naturally from water changes) though I put in a drop of pure ammonia for them to feed on. Their light is whatever sunlight gets past the trees outside and through the window.. they seem to be doing pretty good.

I hope to someday add to the collection (and make it actually look nice), but I'd have to fill the WHOLE windowsill or the fat-cat will jump up there and push everything off (yes shes fat enough to push a nearly 1 gallon tank).. Currently using leftover holiday decor to block the cat from getting up there but that needs to be put away (that's garland in the first photo)...

Last edited by AquaAurora; 02-11-2014 at 08:08 PM.. Reason: because
AquaAurora is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2014, 02:29 PM   #2
harilp
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Your marimo ball looks like canon ball lol

Sent from my Blackberry Playbook using Tapatalk2

Don't Care about money while you enter into a hobby
harilp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2014, 05:33 PM   #3
AquaAurora
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by harilp View Post
Your marimo ball looks like canon ball lol

Sent from my Blackberry Playbook using Tapatalk2
Haha fortunately it does not have that destructive quality ^^ but sadly it's sunken mostly now (just kinda floating lightly right above the substrate) scratch that, its floating at the top again! Guess the sun light made it want to pop back up ^^

Last edited by AquaAurora; 01-31-2014 at 07:28 PM.. Reason: hovering cannonball
Old 02-06-2014, 08:54 PM   #4
AquaAurora
Planted Tank Guru

Default ramblings in winter

tomato is growing like crazy, will have to seriously consider a new pot or trying to set it up in the hob soon.
I'm tempted to raok the baby java just to free up the tiny tank, for someone patient enough to grow them it could fill a 5-10 gallon in a year.
I have so many ideas I want to try on these cubes.. and also want to get some glass bowls/vases but I can't do anything yet as I can't get new plants in with the weather here..the snow is pretty though....

This might not seem like much snow (it really isn't that much) but I live in Pa.. and everyone (around here at least) turns into morons when it snows. People clear out grocery stores for the winter apocalypse that is 3 inches of snow, and townships don't do [bleep] about clearing snow or putting down any salt/ash.

I'd love to try a 'grassy' carpet or a marimor or moss heavy cube... I'd also love to try some plants that are submerged and emersed friendly that I can train up a piece of driftwood out of the tank like a vine.. but they can't be to picky about high humidity since the sill is kinda dry. I've gotten a few ideas from cool bowls done by users here like Newman and idleivey.. but again can't work on anything yet.. arg hurry up spring!

Last edited by AquaAurora; 02-06-2014 at 09:37 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 02-07-2014, 01:43 AM   #5
Meganne
Planted Tank Obsessed

snow look beautiful! but brrrrr! lol

kewl retro/mod tank thing.
there is an entire low tech/ no tech bowl thread here...

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=363465
Old 02-07-2014, 03:12 PM   #6
AquaAurora
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meganne View Post
snow look beautiful! but brrrrr! lol

kewl retro/mod tank thing.
there is an entire low tech/ no tech bowl thread here...

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=363465
I have no issue dressing in layers to stay warm so the cold doesn't bug me as much ^^ I've checked out taht thread before, seen some cool picos in there too, makes me want to add to the collection haha.
Old 02-11-2014, 07:34 PM   #7
AquaAurora
Planted Tank Guru

I noticed yesterday evening as the setting sun light hit the pico cubes juuust right.. I have a huge growth of hair algae on my marimo?!?... [censor] how do I treat hair algae and not kill marimo which is itself an algae?! ARRRGHHH

Unfortunately the cats realized I cleared the winter holiday decor from the low bookshelf that lets them reach the windowsill and I came home Sunday afternoon to find a good bit of the tomato's leaves missing. Monday was worse but I came back with a Terra-cotta pot and replanted it then blocked the 'jumping platform' to keep cats off. The tomato only has about 1/3 of its original leaves now.. I'm hoping it will bounce back. Still using Miracle Grow Organic Potting Mix and watering with water taken from the 55 gallon. I'm looking into aquaponics and thinking of setting something up over the 55 to grow the tomato but nothing is set yet, still researching and asking around from a few experts. (camera wants to focus on dirt not tomato.. grr)

I've removed the mosses from my 10 gallon as my newest plants hogs up the space they were temp filling so now I need to either get rid of the marimo's hair algae and cram the moss in there, or clean up the plantlet grow out cube and slap them at the bottom of that one. For now the plantlet cube is still just a floating blob of tiny java fern (and some renegade moss fronds). (10 gallon mosses no pictured)

I added some new additions to the sill:
Two small bowls trying to revitalize hornwort which the pleco mostly ate in the 55, and forgbit which simply hasn't done well under a hood, or in cold water... I suspect the hornwort will bounce back, but probably not the floater.

I also grabbed and scrubbed an empty vase I found in the house and moved my Argentina swords there. They've still not grown back to full height but they got great roots for such tiny plants. I'm hoping the MGOPM base (capped with gravel) will kick start them more than the root tab did. Unfortunately I put too much soil in so I might gut and re-do the vase in a few days so the sword has more room to grow before it hits the surface. Still a bit of floating soil, need to do a few more water changes.
Old 02-17-2014, 03:33 AM   #8
Betta132
Wannabe Guru

Your cats are eating your tomato plant? That's BAD. Tomatoes are in the nightshade family and the leaves are toxic.
Very nice little tanks! I like this little arrangement... Lots of variety.
Betta132 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2014, 10:31 PM   #9
AquaAurora
Planted Tank Guru

No photos but did a bit of consolidation. The wood cased tank now holds marimo, weeping moss, christmas moss, hornwort, and frogbit. One of the saucers was used to try to rehabilitate tiny fronds of flame moss (too small to tie down to anything yet). The java fern plantlet cube now also holds java moss and a blob of mixed christmas, peackock, and Singapore moss. Tomato hasn't died but not showing alot of new grow yet. Argentinean swords living but not growing much yet, still need to re-do their vase to remove 1 inch soil.
Might throw up photos in another week or two if there's any decent growth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betta132 View Post
Your cats are eating your tomato plant? That's BAD. Tomatoes are in the nightshade family and the leaves are toxic.
Very nice little tanks! I like this little arrangement... Lots of variety.
They only ate 4-6 leaves (damaged more from biting), and both cat's are 18-20 lbs (not my fault... bad cat sitter.. they will NOT loose the weight though ugh =,=). Anyways its been a week, and neither have shown any symptoms of toxicity or other issues so I think they're going to be ok. Definitely keeping them away from the plant/sill! Didn't know it was in that family group though, cool tidbit, and thanks ^^
Old 02-25-2014, 06:17 PM   #10
AquaAurora
Planted Tank Guru

So just a mini update: tomato died, all its leaves were missing Sunday... cats are still alive so I don't know if they just shredded but did not consume the leaves or how they even reached it...had the area pretty damn well blocked off. But anyways the sill now has 2 cubes, a vase, and a small saucer. Tried taking a photo of the line up with shades open..too bright, closed.. too dark so have to try again at a different time of day.
In the mean time here is a purple finch in a large vine structure outside the window. Who ever named this species must have been color blind, that's the red-est "purple" I've ever seen...
Old 03-27-2014, 07:44 PM   #11
AquaAurora
Planted Tank Guru

Dared to neglect these for a while.. the moss and marimo tanks are just.. ugh.. tempted to throw everything out! I already raoked off the tons of baby java fern from the one cube but the moss is is such bad shape I don't think its worth raoking.
The one surprise is the Argentinean sword al-la vase, there's a pond snail and maybe two micro ramshorns in there and they've cleaned up its leaves quite nicely so its little water space loks decent (pardon the hard water lines.. haven't topped off or w/c in 3-4 weeks)

Its had no love at all just window light during the day. Hoping it will start growing more since its done well, I don't know why all the leaves/stems still stay low to the substrate, the original growth (long long ago) was upright like an amazon sword (just narrower leaves). I tried to get a photo of the pond snail cruising around the glass but camera kept focusing past it on the gravel, bah.

Also here's a teaser photo:

2 gallon cookie jar and (i think) 2 gallon bubble bowl. They are on the bookshelf below the vase at the windowsill. Pardon the misc items/candles.. damn cats are hell bent on getting to that windowsill so have to literally cover the area in stuff to keep them from jumping up.

Will be a while before anything gets done with these, going to be setting up a 20 long, as well as a 12g long and a 7g cube in the office first so plenty of time to mull over options for these two I guess.

Last edited by AquaAurora; 04-03-2014 at 06:05 PM.. Reason: micro rams
Old 04-03-2014, 06:04 PM   #12
AquaAurora
Planted Tank Guru

Default Consolidation

So I was sick of looking at the algae monsters that were the cubes, they were gutted and sadly all the mosses tossed.. They were so thickly covered in algae it killed most of the old growth, there was so little new growth it wasn't worth trying to save. Stripped the marimo covered driftwood, rinsed the gravel and bagged it for later use, and bleach soaked the cubes to get the green algae off the glass.
I saves one stem of hornwort and three tiny frogbit that now live in the vase with the sword. I saved the marimo ball and scrubbed it with a toothbrush to try to remove all the unwanted algae then dropped it in a very tiny bowl that barely covers it. Why? Well technically I am "looking after it" for my niece, and though I really don't think she'll ever reclaim it... don't feel like buying her a replacement if i was wrong. The flame moss has been growing ok, not fast but it keeps trying to grow out of the water as emersed growth so i have to add H2O and swirl it around to get it back under again.

Damn cats like to scratch up the paint when they jumped up on the sill =.=

Vase: .6 gallon(?)
fauna: 2 pond snails, 3(?) micro ramshorn snails
flora: Argentinian sword, hornwort, amazon frogbit

Bowl: .1 (?) gallon
fauna: n/a
flora: marimo ball

Saucer: .1(?) gallon
fauna: 1 pond snail
flora: flame moss
Old 04-23-2014, 06:08 PM   #13
AquaAurora
Planted Tank Guru

Default No longer a real 'collection'

So its just the vase for now, though I will be using the two 2g bowl and jar on the bookshelf just below the vase soon! Added some floaters, and some snail has been eating the (dwarf?) water lettuce! grrr Pardon the messy glass, need to clean it.

Last edited by AquaAurora; 04-23-2014 at 06:21 PM.. Reason: title
Old 05-30-2014, 12:02 AM   #14
Obelisk
Algae Grower

How are the Java Ferns coming along? I've been wanting to put a few in the no-tech setup that I plan on doing. But, I haven't had any luck in the past with getting them to grow in filtered tanks. The only reasons I can think of are the water temperature being too warm and not enough potassium in the water.
Obelisk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2014, 12:19 AM   #15
AquaAurora
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk View Post
How are the Java Ferns coming along? I've been wanting to put a few in the no-tech setup that I plan on doing. But, I haven't had any luck in the past with getting them to grow in filtered tanks. The only reasons I can think of are the water temperature being too warm and not enough potassium in the water.
"I already raoked off the tons of baby java fern from the one cube..."
Gave away java fern plantlets a while ago. They actually like water flow a lot but I think they can live without it. Have not tried keeping more java fern in a no tech again so have no advice/suggestions, sorry. I'm actually just down to the sword vase.. And it's a hair algae nightmare now sadly.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.