Ada vuppa 1
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 01-12-2013, 07:56 PM   #1
TheGuy
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

Ada vuppa 1

What do you guys think of using this as a filter on the mini m?
Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
TheGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2013, 08:04 PM   #2
Couesfanatic
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (30/100%)

Had one on my mini s. Wouldn't recommend it. Works well as a skimmer, but if you are going to spend that kind of money, get a eheim 2211, or go cheap and buy a zoo med.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:52 PM   #3
TheGuy
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couesfanatic View Post
Had one on my mini s. Wouldn't recommend it. Works well as a skimmer, but if you are going to spend that kind of money, get a eheim 2211, or go cheap and buy a zoo med.
If I get 2211 and glass pipes I'd be well over 300 rather than 185. Why wouldn't you recommend it? Only thing I could find was that water has to stay high enough which wouldn't be a problem as I could easily replace 4oz water daily lol

Old 01-12-2013, 09:19 PM   #4
Couesfanatic
Wannabe Guru

It's a pain to adjust the thing alteast once daily. All it has in it is little foam balls. I don't see much biological filtration, just a bit of mechanical. Plus it is an eyesore to the tank.

I'd do this:

Eheim 2211 $70
Do Aqua Mini outflow $50
Do Aqua Mini inflow $56
total=$ 176

I have a Mini M on order, that what I will be running. You could buy a cheap fleabay pair as a backup.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:35 PM   #5
TheGuy
Planted Member

Thanks, ill probably just get the 2211 and the ada mini lily pipe set. I rather the ada stuff anyhow. @

Old 01-12-2013, 09:43 PM   #6
Couesfanatic
Wannabe Guru

I hope I don't regret not getting the Ada. BTW, some people say the 2211 may be too weak for the mini m. I've had a 2213 on a Mini M before and had to have it turned down. I won't be doing any inline stuff so I think the 2211 should work.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:58 PM   #7
mb165
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I tried to use the vuppa on my mini m after watching the ADA videos but after about a month and a half, I ended up getting an aqua clear HOB filter. Once I put on the aqua clear you could see improvements in water quality/algae issues.
mb165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:54 AM   #8
TheGuy
Planted Member

Quote:
I hope I don't regret not getting the Ada. BTW, some people say the 2211 may be too weak for the mini m. I've had a 2213 on a Mini M before and had to have it turned down. I won't be doing any inline stuff so I think the 2211 should work.
I am a ocd person so I have to have all one name ect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb165 View Post
I tried to use the vuppa on my mini m after watching the ADA videos but after about a month and a half, I ended up getting an aqua clear HOB filter. Once I put on the aqua clear you could see improvements in water quality/algae issues.
I think thats more of a tank maturity thing. I come from saltwater and algae will always be evident in the first 1-3 months. The only real difference would be water flow. I will also order a superjet es300 as soon as they hit US market which should be around april if rumors hold up.

Old 01-13-2013, 02:24 AM   #9
mahko
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGuy View Post
I am an ocd person so I have to have all one name etc
I know what you mean...

I've thought of making my own Vuppa, but it would never look as good as ADA. I'd vote for the 2211 as well.
Old 01-13-2013, 02:41 AM   #10
freph
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)

Quote:
ADA pipes and about 3 ft of head with Eheim 2211 with coarse pad and rest Bio Rio, I find the flow far too strong. I'd rather use a lily style pipe than the Mini pipe that ADA sells for the 10mm tubing. At least the flow would be dispersed.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:22 AM   #11
TheGuy
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahko View Post
I know what you mean...

I've thought of making my own Vuppa, but it would never look as good as ADA. I'd vote for the 2211 as well.
Well I picked up fanatics vuppa and ill run it pretty much as a tiny internal canister submerged fully so I shouldnt have to worry about water level. If ada does it successfully then its obviously possible. Word is the superjet 300 made for tanks up to ten gallons will be out come aprilish so until then....

Once I get everything I'll start a thread and document how it goes.

Old 01-13-2013, 04:09 PM   #12
freph
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGuy View Post
Well I picked up fanatics vuppa and ill run it pretty much as a tiny internal canister submerged fully so I shouldnt have to worry about water level. If ada does it successfully then its obviously possible. Word is the superjet 300 made for tanks up to ten gallons will be out come aprilish so until then....

Once I get everything I'll start a thread and document how it goes.

Why fully submerged? It'll negate the point of a Vuppa at all (surface skimming). The adjustments aren't even that bad....I adjust it maybe once daily but you really have to be careful around trimming time. Either net it off before you run the Vuppa or be prepared to clean the impeller assembly as stuff likes to make its way down there.
Old 01-13-2013, 04:59 PM   #13
TheGuy
Planted Member

Just to use as a filter. I've had a tank this size before with a 2211 and I never had oil anyways. I work long days so if I set it 1/4"-1/2" below water line in am then by the time the oil actually builds (afternoon) it'll skim the little bit. I'd rather it serve a purpose whether it be filter or skimmer rather than run dry for 8hrs while I'm not home and burn.

Old 01-13-2013, 05:22 PM   #14
laqu
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by freph View Post
ADA pipes and about 3 ft of head with Eheim 2211 with coarse pad and rest Bio Rio, I find the flow far too strong. I'd rather use a lily style pipe than the Mini pipe that ADA sells for the 10mm tubing. At least the flow would be dispersed.
what size is the Eheim 2211 good for... and i mean size not gallons...
i have an 8" cube and it turns into a washing machine VERY easy and my BETTA hates flow. i don't think the azoo does great on it as i have a drop off and i'm having some alge problems ... tried the aquatop UV nice flow but doesn't hold much media

all ideas welcome... not to hijack..just looking for options.
1 betta

Here they are http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/al...p?albumid=9625

6 gallon journal
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...208&highlight=

you can see more photos here the 4 8" cubes are on flicker... will get to their journal at some point (they are fun as they change often)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/laq/

webdesign: www.littleowlwebdesign.com
laqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:46 PM   #15
TheGuy
Planted Member

Its just a matter of dispersing flow. Theres no small pipe thats wide like a normal lily pipe so just lower the flow.