Anyone else broke like me but have a ton of tank projects they want to do?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 01-11-2013, 06:41 PM   #1
jhays79
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

Anyone else broke like me but have a ton of tank projects they want to do?

I'm laid off from my job for the winter, and funds are tight. I have a 40 breeder that I got at the petco dollar a gallon sale, and I also have a 46 bowfront that I found on the side of the road with the stand in mint condition. I want to dirt and plant the bowfront and replace the 29 gallon in my living room with it, and I want to put some small cichlids in the 40b. I'm watering at the mouth to do all this, but I'm too broke! Anyone else in the same boat as me?
jhays79 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2013, 06:47 PM   #2
NWA-Planted
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

I think the question is more who isn't in that boat

Sent from a dark corner in my happy place
Sump Pimp #8
RAOK Clubber #28
NWA-Planted is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2013, 06:56 PM   #3
tendertouche401
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Agree...how many of us have this wonderful hobby but are laid off...too many to count
tendertouche401 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2013, 07:12 PM   #4
jhays79
Planted Tank Obsessed

I'll tell you what, it's EXTREMELY hard for me to NOT go to the LFS with all my time off. It's like an addiction!
jhays79 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2013, 07:13 PM   #5
Desyx
Algae Grower

Im more along the lines of making sure i don't spend to much within a period of time so the wife don't lose her mind and flip out on me. So its kind of like being broke.
Desyx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2013, 07:17 PM   #6
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desyx View Post
Im more along the lines of making sure i don't spend to much within a period of time so the wife don't lose her mind and flip out on me. So its kind of like being broke.

YUUUPP

agreed
Old 01-11-2013, 07:37 PM   #7
Knotyoureality
Wannabe Guru

I'm not broke, but still hitting severe limits thanks to space and lease constraints. I've got a 125g in storage and am having to pass up on deal after deal for covetted 20L, 40 breeders, custom tanks--all because I have no where to set any of the damned things up.

Catch 22: apartment living has money but no space; house purchase would give me space, but leave me with no money.
Knotyoureality is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2013, 07:43 PM   #8
GraphicGr8s
Banned

PTrader: (9/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knotyoureality View Post
I'm not broke, but still hitting severe limits thanks to space and lease constraints. I've got a 125g in storage and am having to pass up on deal after deal for covetted 20L, 40 breeders, custom tanks--all because I have no where to set any of the damned things up.

Catch 22: apartment living has money but no space; house purchase would give me space, but leave me with no money.
Depends on what you're paying for rent. And face it that rent money is down the drain. Paying off someone else's mortgage. My mortgage payment is about what rent would be but I wouldn't have all that I have. And it wouldn't be mine. Someday. Maybe. If I live long enough. Or if I have a job long enough.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
GraphicGr8s is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2013, 07:47 PM   #9
manzpants92
Planted Member

Join the club. I have a 20 underway but a 10 gal cycling with no light or any outlet for co2
Old 01-11-2013, 07:50 PM   #10
scbrooks87
Planted Member

Yeah I'm in the broke boat also, trying to slowly acquire things for the 40b. Right now I pay all the bills and then try and see what's left over for the tank... not a whole lot.

May be a blessing though, I don't know if the fiance could handle the tank going up in a day lol
scbrooks87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2013, 08:12 PM   #11
NWA-Planted
Planted Tank Guru

Ok didn't mean everyone was laid off geez!!!

Meant that i think the majority of us are all facing constraints financially in this hobby...

Sent from a dark corner in my happy place
Sump Pimp #8
RAOK Clubber #28
NWA-Planted is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2013, 08:50 PM   #12
ShortFin
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)

Yup, no time and money. There is a long laundry list of To Do's/Buys before I could spend again.
ShortFin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2013, 09:02 PM   #13
midlife_hobbyist
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhays79 View Post
I'm laid off from my job for the winter, and funds are tight. I have a 40 breeder that I got at the petco dollar a gallon sale, and I also have a 46 bowfront that I found on the side of the road with the stand in mint condition. I want to dirt and plant the bowfront and replace the 29 gallon in my living room with it, and I want to put some small cichlids in the 40b. I'm watering at the mouth to do all this, but I'm too broke! Anyone else in the same boat as me?
How about this? I can RAOK you some Labidochromis cearulus (yellow labs)....if you want to put them in your 29 or 46, you could trade me the 40 breeder for a brand new Aquaclear 50(200)...if not you're still wlecome to the yellow labs...Also have a regular pleco and 2 giant danios I can RAOK.
midlife_hobbyist is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2013, 09:33 PM   #14
Doc7
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

My issue is I have two hobbies that can be very expensive (if I WANT them to be), and my fiancee and I have agreed to budgets. So for example, we each have 75 a month to spend on our hobbies, along with a percentage of overtime/bonus income. So that means I am constantly making decisions like, buy 15 Tetras for my 40B at 3 dollars apiece, OR save that 45 bucks and have enough money saved up in my "hobby account" two months from now to buy that new shotgun I want. It does have the side effect of delayed gratification and a feeling of accomplishment for purchases, a year ago I would just buy whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted. To be honest I like this way better, feels much more responsible and rewarding to me. Too bad my darn hobbies are so expensive, and shooting is going way up in cost now with the panic buying going on.
New Jersey? Nearby State? Join the New Jersey Aquatic Gardeners Club!! Meetups, Swaps, Local Members to discuss your tank, issues, and accomplishments!
NJAGC Member since 11/2011
Doc7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2013, 09:46 PM   #15
puopg
Planted Tank Enthusiast

You gotta balance your desires with your life. We all want to have nice things like a new car, or mansion, etc... but realize that unless you have the income, its something you simply cannot afford whenever you want. Be happy with what you have, save for what you want.
puopg is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.