Information for people wanting to breed Cherry Shrimp
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 09-12-2005, 08:24 PM   #1
vinnymac
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (53/100%)

Information for people wanting to breed Cherry Shrimp

I've seen a lot of people asking questions about cherry shrimp and breeding requirements, tank setup, water parameters, etc.

I thought I'd take a little time to talk about what has worked for me. I got into the hobby a little over a year ago and found this site and a few others and quickly became interested in freshwater shrimp. I bought my first batch of 10 cherry shrimp and 10 amano shrimp and rest is history.

It wasn't until my second batch of cherry shrimp before I realized how easy they were to breed. My second purchase contained a pregnant female and she ended up having the babies in a small pint cup when I was moving her into her permanent home.

I started with a 10 gallon tank with various plant clippings from my main 65g tank and I noticed more and baby shrimp each week. I soon had nearly 100 and I ended up giving some away and selling some to other hobbists.

I set up a 20 gallon planted tank and moved a bunch of the shrimp into it and now I have successfully bred nearly 1,000 very nicely colored cherry shrimp.

Here is what has worked for me and what I suggest for other people if they want to try their hand at breeding cherry shrimp.

1. Tank size should be at least 10 gallons to support up to 100-150 shrimp (based on weekly 30% water changes).
2. Temp should be between 75-78F.
3. Moderate water hardness seems to work the best for robust breeding and coloration.
4. I highly recommend the addition of live plants to maintain good water quality.
5. Sponge filters are the best since they do not pose a danger to baby shrimp.
6. PH of 7.6 has worked well for me.
7. Keep up with water changes! Cherry shrimp are highly prone to nitrate poisoning and they need good water to maintain good health and molting. I do weekly 30% water changes. I use plain tap water (moderate hardness, PH 7.6) and I treat it with declorinator (Amquel).
8. I use full spectrum lighting...10 hours a day on a timer.
9. I DO NOT dose liquid iodine as the shrimp will get all they need from a proper diet.
10. I feed them HBH Vegetable Wafers and HBC Crab & Lobster Bites exclusively. Any invertebrate food will suffice as long as it does not contain any large amounts of copper (READ those labels!). I will occasionally drop in a piece of boiled vegetable (squash or spinach). I feed my shrimp once a day in small amounts.
11. I also recommend you maintain genetic diversity after a few generations of breeding. You can easily do this by introducing new cherry shrimp from other sources. This helps reduce the occurance of inbred deformities or weak shrimp. I have traded shrimp with other hobbist a few times.

I hope I haven't forgotten anything. Please feel free to contact me if you have any specific questions.

Thanks!!!

I thought I'd add some recent pics to show my breeding population and tank:

Last edited by vinnymac; 10-20-2005 at 06:29 PM..
vinnymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2005, 10:10 PM   #2
Faust2001
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)

Thanks for the good info.

How long does it take for your shrimp to mature from babies to breeding adults?
Faust2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 12:55 AM   #3
Urkevitz
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

The HBH crab bites are great the cherries go crazy for them. It contains copper sulphate but I haven't seen any problem.

I have bred them in my 2.5 gallon, but they seem to be stunted and never reach the size of the cherries in my 75 gallon.
Urkevitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 01:59 AM   #4
vinnymac
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faust2001
Thanks for the good info.

How long does it take for your shrimp to mature from babies to breeding adults?

I'd say 45-60 days before the females start to display swollen ovaries in the carapiece.
Old 09-13-2005, 03:24 AM   #5
BlueEL
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urkevitz
I have bred them in my 2.5 gallon, but they seem to be stunted and never reach the size of the cherries in my 75 gallon.
I have similar experience with my 5.5G, they seems to stay pretty small comparing to the ones in the bigger tank.
I wonder if its because less food available in the smaller tank.
BlueEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 04:08 AM   #6
X-Treme
Algae Grower

I just bought HBH crab and lobster bites.....the ingredients label says they contain copper sulfate. Isn't copper poisonous to shrimp???
X-Treme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 04:23 AM   #7
Faust2001
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Treme
I just bought HBH crab and lobster bites.....the ingredients label says they contain copper sulfate. Isn't copper poisonous to shrimp???
I've been feeding mine HBH crab and lobster bites for about a week and no deaths. Other people on the board mentioned that they've fed their cherries the same thing with no deaths.
Faust2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 07:25 AM   #8
AW0L
Planted Tank Obsessed

ive been feeding blended spinach they get anuff iodine from the spinach
Old 09-13-2005, 12:20 PM   #9
Georgiadawgger
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

Mine do fine off small bits of Omega veggie rounds. If I put any other "tasty treats" in there my rasaboras seem to find it (pretty darn good olfactory sensors therre)...even with the lights off for a few hours.
Old 09-13-2005, 02:42 PM   #10
vinnymac
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Treme

I guarantee HBH Crab & Lobster Bites are fine for cherry shrimp. I've been feeding my shrimp this food for nearly a year.
Old 09-13-2005, 03:51 PM   #11
m.lemay
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Good thread!!

I just made this a sticky. If anyone else has things to add or compliment this thread add it here.

Marcel
FILSTAR Pimp #2

75 gal heavily planted,50/50 Black beauty,Eco-complete substrate, Pressurised CO2 with solenoid, ph controller, AB Reactor 1000, 330 watts 9325K GE PC lighting,Ehiem Liquidoser, 2-Filstar xp3 canisters.
m.lemay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 08:15 PM   #12
carlnorman
Algae Grower

The trick with the crab bites may be how much copper is in the water from the pipes. The deaths stopped as soon as I stopped feeding it. I have adjusted every other factor and it was the only thing it could have been.

It is a small amount, but coupled with the water, that could cause toxic levels in their systems.

Be careful on feeding! In addition to some of the foods mentioned macroalgea sheets also seem to be enjoyed and give them the idodine they need as well. I tear off a little strip and sink it with a plant weight, it works great.
carlnorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 08:59 PM   #13
AaronT
Collectoritis Patient

PTrader: (202/100%)

If you're worried about the copper sulfate in the HBH Crab and Lobster Bites than you might try the Hikari Crab Cuisine. It's essentially the same thing only without copper sulfate. My shrimp actually fight over that stuff.
AaronT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 10:01 PM   #14
Georgiadawgger
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandmasterofpool
If you're worried about the copper sulfate in the HBH Crab and Lobster Bites than you might try the Hikari Crab Cuisine. It's essentially the same thing only without copper sulfate. My shrimp actually fight over that stuff.
I can't find that stuff anywhere near me!!
Old 09-14-2005, 10:17 PM   #15
SCMurphy
PT Biologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiadawgger
I can't find that stuff anywhere near me!!
Aquarium Center

My shrimp like the Hikari sinking wafers too.

Aquascape? I'm a crypt farmer.

It's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking like an idiot.

That IS an aquascape, it's titled "The Vacant Lot".
SCMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote