Rena XP users....
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 08-08-2003, 04:06 AM   #1
rossi32s
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to rossi32s Send a message via AIM to rossi32s

Whats the recomended way of the spary bar positioning? are most using it horizontally or vertically?
rossi32s is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2003, 06:16 AM   #2
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (175/100%)

Don't know what is recommended, but I modded mine... it is extending almost through the entire tank at the back bottom, and the holes are directed 45 degrees up. I used most of the input extensions to extend it down to the bottom, then added a pvc pipe with same size holes that extends the bar about 3 times its original size. That results in a fairly gentle movement in the entire tank, the surface is hardly moving at all. No problems with surface scum (I don't feed much, tank is understocked and overfiltered).

I am sure others have a totally different setup for totally different reasons, and it works too...
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2003, 01:08 PM   #3
Guttboy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to Guttboy

WASSERPEST!!!!!!!!!!!

Can you be so kind as to take a picture if you can or tell me how you did your modifications? What size pvc did you use? I have 2 XP3's in the tank and the current is too strong for my likes.

All the plants are swaying gently however the microtennellus in the foreground is in a hurricane!

Thanks!

Mike

10 Gallon...20 Endler's live bearers planted, peat/kitty litter/sand substrate

15 Gallon...Just Schultz Aquatic Plant soil
Guttboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2003, 02:49 PM   #4
m.lemay
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

I just have my spraybar vertical in the corner with a 90 at the bottom and the nozzle pointed towards the center front of the tank. My tank is so packed with plants that the current coming out of the nozzle gets halted almost immediately.

Marcel
FILSTAR Pimp #2

75 gal heavily planted,50/50 Black beauty,Eco-complete substrate, Pressurised CO2 with solenoid, ph controller, AB Reactor 1000, 330 watts 9325K GE PC lighting,Ehiem Liquidoser, 2-Filstar xp3 canisters.
m.lemay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2003, 04:14 PM   #5
SNPiccolo5
Planted Tank Enthusiast

My chain swords are getting blown away too! I think the current for them is needed though, since it is so easy for debris to get stuck in it. However, when the filter builds a mound of sand up with its current (like mine is), I think I am going to have to reposition it or something. However, I LOVE these filters! I can't wait to chuck my Emperor.

I like the use of a super extended spray bar! That would make the filter really, efficient, I guess, is circulatin the tank evenly.

I hope the flow of mine slows down a little but once the bio-filter gets established. I might put some more filtration media in it too, just to slow it down...

-Tim
Old 08-08-2003, 06:15 PM   #6
Wasserpest
Are these real?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guttboy
WASSERPEST!!!!!!!!!!!

Can you be so kind as to take a picture if you can or tell me how you did your modifications? What size pvc did you use? I have 2 XP3's in the tank and the current is too strong for my likes.

All the plants are swaying gently however the microtennellus in the foreground is in a hurricane!

Thanks!

Mike
Yeah unless you are into keeping trouts... I think one xp3 is enuff for a large planted, lightly stocked tank up to 72 in...

I can't really take a pic unless I take the whole thing out of the tank, and hmmm, no I don't want to do that right now.

So to describe that a little more... the outlet hose connects to the outlet pipe A, then to the outlet flow reg D, and then to two inlet extensions H, and to outlet pipe extension B, which brings it right to the top of the substrate. Then the spraybar follows, then a piece of flexible tubing (provided by Rena 8) ) connects to a 0.5in pvc pipe, you know the one they sell in the electrical isle for about $0.75 or $0.85. I drilled holes with the same diameter and distance like the ones in the spray bar, and capped it with the cap that was on the spraybar.

The length of that spraybar extension depends of course on the length of your tank. The only problem with this setup is that if you are filling the pump according to instructions after cleaning, air bubbles are rushing out from the spraybar for about a minute, scaring your fishies (and my riccia ends up all in different places than I had them before :roll: ). Filling it before connecting the quick disconnect will keep that to a minimum.

There are probably a gazillion ways how to do that differently... Let me know if you need a drawing...
Old 08-09-2003, 01:50 AM   #7
Guttboy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Wasserpest....maybe its me but I purchased the electrical conduit (grey pvc) for .85 $ for 10'. But I cant seem to get the Rena supplied hose over the pipe any suggestions?
Mike

Old 08-09-2003, 02:30 AM   #8
rossi32s
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to rossi32s Send a message via AIM to rossi32s

sounds like you bought 3/4" OD instead of 1/2" OD. Youhave 2 options.. buy a male to male adapter or get a new length of CPVC
rossi32s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2003, 02:50 AM   #9
Guttboy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

OK everyone....here is how I modded this....just took a bit of elbow grease and a swiss army knife!

1) RTFM! Wasserpest...pulled out the manual and saw what parts you were talking about!

2) Got the conduit at Home Depot for $.85 for 10'.

3) Whittled the end down to make it more cone shaped (easier to fit tube around).

4) Twisted the pvc around and around till it went on.

5) Did the same with the spraybar.

6) Drilled holes down PVC.

7) Put endcap on.

8) Installed in tank.

Results!!!!!!! Very low flow in the tank from the bar....light current out of each hole down the line!!!!! Pump running at full boar!!!!

PVC is a bit unsightly at the bottom but that will go away once plants start filling in! WASSERPEST THANKS FOR THE HELP

I have posted some pics for those who were confused!

Mike

Old 08-09-2003, 05:16 AM   #10
Wasserpest
Are these real?

Hey... that's exactly how mine looks!!! I am glad you figured it out. It's funny how it looks the same in your tank as it used to look in mine, now it is hardly visible anymore, and in two more months it will be totally hidden by plants. Don't worry about the looks right now...

To get the vinyl hose onto a pvc pipe I always heat it (the hose!) up a little over the stove to make it softer, then it fits on much easier. Sorry I forgot this little detail...
Old 08-09-2003, 03:46 PM   #11
Guttboy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I was considering that Wasserpest but I didnt want a plastic dripping fire wand if you know what I mean....so this ends up working fairly well....just was a bain in the buttox to get it on....well after the whittling it was like 30 seconds to twist :P

Works very well I will modify the other spraybar as well to do a similar action although I will experiment and have the rena portion vertical and the made portion horizontal....gotta use some pvc parts though. This way there is some different current in there.

Thanks for all the help...hope our little discussion has helped some other people too with the same prob of tooo much circ in the tank!

Mike

Old 08-09-2003, 11:20 PM   #12
Rex Grigg
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to Rex Grigg Send a message via AIM to Rex Grigg

Hmm.... more ideas. I guess I'm off to the BORG.
Rex Grigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 12:17 AM   #13
Guttboy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Off to the BORG?????

Whats that mean Rex?

Mike

Old 08-10-2003, 03:47 AM   #14
Rex Grigg
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to Rex Grigg Send a message via AIM to Rex Grigg

BORG = Big Orange Retail Giant aka Home Depot.
Rex Grigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 05:38 AM   #15
Guttboy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

HEHEHEH thanks Rex!!!

Mike