75 low-tech setup?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 01-14-2013, 10:53 PM   #1
AlecFish
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

75 low-tech setup?

So, being a teenage aquarist I'm very limited with space, money and time because of school in all. So its kinda hard to attain the funds to support a high tech tank especially on a 75 gallon. I currently have the following.

Current Nova extreme 2X 54w T5HO fixture
Aquatop CF 500 UV
100 lbs of Black diamond sand
80lbs of eco-complete mixed with some gravel
and obviously heaters/thermometers and such

I was wondering what my setup would be if I were to downgrade to a low-tech. I was thinking of dirt accompanied by some home depot shop lights but I dunno

Do you think I should stick with the stuff I got (Still need CO2) or go low-tech?
Pros & cons of both

Need some input because I can't really decide
AlecFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2013, 11:43 PM   #2
AlecFish
Planted Tank Obsessed

Just want to know if I should go high or low tech...
Old 01-15-2013, 11:59 PM   #3
alipper
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (14/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarist14 View Post
So, being a teenage aquarist I'm very limited with space, money and time because of school in all. So its kinda hard to attain the funds to support a high tech tank especially on a 75 gallon. I currently have the following.

Current Nova extreme 2X 54w T5HO fixture
Aquatop CF 500 UV
100 lbs of Black diamond sand
80lbs of eco-complete mixed with some gravel
and obviously heaters/thermometers and such

I was wondering what my setup would be if I were to downgrade to a low-tech. I was thinking of dirt accompanied by some home depot shop lights but I dunno

Do you think I should stick with the stuff I got (Still need CO2) or go low-tech?
Pros & cons of both

Need some input because I can't really decide
The light you have over your tank will most likely put in the high category, but don't quote me. I only have 48W T5NO over my 75, but I have really simple plants. I like low tech because it allows you more freedom, you don't have to worry so much about algae as well.

You will most likely need CO2 on your tank if you don't want an outbreak of algae.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:08 AM   #4
In.a.Box
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Go low tech, you can get low to med light by hanging the light couple inch away from the sand.
You can get some co2 by doing water change weekly.
Or just use bottle execl or DIY you can get from some member on this site.
In.a.Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:15 AM   #5
mitchfish9
Planted Tank Nation

PTrader: (3/100%)

Go low tech! If you can raise that fixture a few inches off the top of the tank then you will be money. You can still have great tank! I'm speaking from experience as I am a teenager as well and I am extremely glad I don't have to mess around with co2 or any of the complications that go with it. It also makes the hobby a lot cheaper. My friend has a 75 gallon low tech. It's on my youtube channel if you want to check it out and it is coming along very nicely. He uses a t8 shop light from home depot. Even that is a little too much light because of the great reflectors.
mitchfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:32 AM   #6
AlecFish
Planted Tank Obsessed

Alright cool, sounds like low tech is the way to go. Only problem is that there is no mounting bracket/piece or anything on my light. I guess I'll have to find some other way. Also how much should I raise the fixture to meet low/medium lighting?
Old 01-16-2013, 01:12 AM   #7
In.a.Box
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

You will have to find the PAR.
You can get some 1/2 pvc pipe and build a light hanger.
If there no hole in the light u can drill 2 hole on each side and use a hook.
In.a.Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:13 AM   #8
AlecFish
Planted Tank Obsessed

Yeah I saw your video Mitch and I think his tank looks great, its coming along well. So I was wondering if he uses any CO2/Ferts on the tank and what his water change schedule is.

Is this the light your friend has-http://www.homedepot.com/Lighting-Fa...1#.UPYF3ifee5o
Old 01-16-2013, 03:31 AM   #9
mitchfish9
Planted Tank Nation

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarist14 View Post
Yeah I saw your video Mitch and I think his tank looks great, its coming along well. So I was wondering if he uses any CO2/Ferts on the tank and what his water change schedule is.

Is this the light your friend has-http://www.homedepot.com/Lighting-Fa...1#.UPYF3ifee5o
Nothing crazy, a dose of flourish comprehensive and iron maybe once or twice a week, and no CO2. His water changes are once a week 30-40%.

That is the light. It has great reflectors, so he might put window screen over it to lower the par by about 30% to get rid of a little bit of algae thats starting to show.
mitchfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:43 PM   #10
AlecFish
Planted Tank Obsessed

Sorry about re-opening a sort of old thread but I was just wondering how many inches I would have to raise my light in order to have low or medium lighting? Because, whats the point of buying a new light fixture when I can just raise it.

Its a Current 2X 54w T5HO with a reflector that covers each bulb.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:56 PM   #11
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)

I would start by raising that light to 6 inches above the top of the tank. That will also help a lot in getting more uniform lighting over the whole tank. A cheap, but good looking way to suspend that light is to make a bent steel conduit hanger, attached to the back of the tank stand. http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...t=bent+conduit Be careful when drilling holes into the light housing, to be sure you don't accidentally drill into something electrical. You can also attach the chains or cables to the ends of the light fixture, if there is more room to do so there.

My 65 gallon tank is a low tech tank, and I am very pleased with it. At least I don't have to spend all of my efforts trying to kill algae, and that is worth a lot to me.