Surface skimmer with larger tanks... Options?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2009, 12:02 AM   #1
anchlo
Algae Grower
 
anchlo's Avatar
 
PTrader: (3/100%)
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Issaquah, WA
Posts: 147
Default

Surface skimmer with larger tanks... Options?


I have major surface scum and wanted to get rid of it using a surface skimmer... I did a search and found that the Tom Aquatics Skimmer seems to be a popular/cheap choice...


http://www.bigalsonline.com/StoreCat...hits=12&offset=

Will this work on my 75 Gal? I have an Eheim 2217 filter with a DIY reactor attached to it so the flow rate is already slowed a bit...

If I do get the TA surface skimmer, Will I be able to attach it to the 2217 with out any problems to the flow? Will I have to modify it to fit the 2217?

Thanks
anchlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-30-2009, 01:09 AM   #2
mott
Wannabe Guru
 
mott's Avatar
 
PTrader: (32/100%)
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: nj
Posts: 1,992
Default

I have one on my 55 and it works great! I use it with my 2236 which is 1/2 tubing. The intake on the 2217 is 5/8 so you would need to get a reducer or modify it somehow.
__________________

EHEIM Pimp Club Member #250 2217,2026,2236
mott is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 01:25 AM   #3
FSM
Wannabe Guru
 
FSM's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Georgia
Posts: 1,189
Default

Is it noisy at all?

You can get them on ebay for about $15 shipped. I'm pretty sure the fluval brand is 5/8" tubing.
__________________
FSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 01:25 AM   #4
Jeff5614
Planted Tank Guru
 
Jeff5614's Avatar
 
PTrader: (52/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: TN
Posts: 2,697
Default

I use one on my 75 and I'm really happy with it. It will clean the scum off the surface in a matter of minutes.
Jeff5614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 01:26 AM   #5
Jeff5614
Planted Tank Guru
 
Jeff5614's Avatar
 
PTrader: (52/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: TN
Posts: 2,697
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSM View Post
Is it noisy at all?

You can get them on ebay for about $15 shipped. I'm pretty sure the fluval brand is 5/8" tubing.
Not a sound out of mine. I have the fluval skimmer connected to a fluval with 5/8" tubing.
Jeff5614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 01:39 AM   #6
FSM
Wannabe Guru
 
FSM's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Georgia
Posts: 1,189
Default

The fluval canisters (05 series) are 5/8 ID tubing, so it makes sense that the same brand skimmer would be the same tubing.
__________________
FSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 01:50 AM   #7
herns
Planted Tank Guru
 
herns's Avatar
 
PTrader: (231/100%)
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 2,930
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anchlo View Post
I have major surface scum and wanted to get rid of it using a surface skimmer... I did a search and found that the Tom Aquatics Skimmer seems to be a popular/cheap choice...


http://www.bigalsonline.com/StoreCat...hits=12&offset=

Will this work on my 75 Gal? I have an Eheim 2217 filter with a DIY reactor attached to it so the flow rate is already slowed a bit...

If I do get the TA surface skimmer, Will I be able to attach it to the 2217 with out any problems to the flow? Will I have to modify it to fit the 2217?

Thanks

That product is cheaper and excellent. I got the same thing from Fosters and Smith. Works very good.

I always got crystal clear water.
herns is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 01:56 AM   #8
smoq
local fisherman
 
smoq's Avatar
 
PTrader: (37/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 1,188
Default

+1 for that tom aquatic's one. I have one plumbed into eheim installation kit's intake and it fits perfectly. The skimmer needs a little adjustment from time to time, but it keeps the surface crystal clear.
__________________
Visit my aquarium&underwater photography site
75g tank journal&album
DIY 75g stand manual&Journal
smoq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 10:06 AM   #9
anchlo
Algae Grower
 
anchlo's Avatar
 
PTrader: (3/100%)
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Issaquah, WA
Posts: 147
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff5614 View Post
I use one on my 75 and I'm really happy with it. It will clean the scum off the surface in a matter of minutes.
jeff, what size tubing is it plumbed into?


how would I plumb it to my 2217 intake? do I need to cut the hard plastic tube or the hose? use a T fitting?

thanks
anchlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 06:19 PM   #10
Jeff5614
Planted Tank Guru
 
Jeff5614's Avatar
 
PTrader: (52/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: TN
Posts: 2,697
Default

The fluval tubing is 5/8". From looking at the picture of the skimmer on another website, it looks like it may come with a couple of different sized adapters. Maybe someone with a 2217 will chime in though.
Jeff5614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:32 AM   #11
Krakuss
Newbie
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Rural Alberta
Posts: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoq View Post
+1 for that tom aquatic's one. I have one plumbed into eheim installation kit's intake and it fits perfectly. The skimmer needs a little adjustment from time to time, but it keeps the surface crystal clear.
I'm thinking about doing the same thing. Any one have some pointeres on how to do this?>
Krakuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Planted Tank LLC 2012