New Lights increased heat and filter change?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 08-07-2003, 02:08 PM   #1
TimWA
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I put my new 2x13W Compact flourscent light kit on one of my 10 gallons, did a water change, and threw in some new plants. I have noticed that my water temp. has increased from a steady 76 to 80. Is this strictly from the addition of the lights? Or is there some decomposition occuring from added plants (some plants have some leaves not looking so hot which I am waiting to see if they recover before trimming) which could result in temp increase? If I feel the hood under the light it does not feel hot. Don't get me wrong the light does put out heat by the top is slated so a lot of the heat emits from the top.

And question number 2...
I have been toying with getting rid of the blue box filter and replacing it with a aquaclear mini. With the HIB filters do people remove the plastic back part of the hood? if so where do they put the lights? If I remove the back plastic part I would need to move the lights forward which result in the light being blocked by the middle plastic part of the hood which acts like a hinge between front and back glass pieces. Also would the aquaclear mini help reduce my temp back to my normal temp? Would the aquaclear mini disrupt my tank enough to let my co2 escape?

Thanks for any info you can give,
Tim
TimWA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2003, 02:50 PM   #2
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to GulfCoastAquarian Send a message via Yahoo to GulfCoastAquarian

If I understand you correctly, I think the temperature change is due to lights. Does this rise occur only during the day? If so, and it drops to 76 at night, then there's your answer. The CF lights do generate considerable heat so a small fan might help out.
If the temperature stays stable at 80 throughout the night, then you may have somehow affected air circulation across the water surface. When you added the light, did you also add a cover that tightly seals the top of the tank? I noticed a 2 degree peak temp drop when I removed the rear plastic fittings in my hood and let air in there (evaporation also increased).

You will need to trim an opening for a HOB filter in your canopy. They do intrude into the aquarium an inch or so, so you may have to move the lights somewhat but most canopies are designed to accomodate power filters easily.
I think the Aquaclear would cause less CO2 outgassing than a bubbling box filter.
Old 08-07-2003, 03:05 PM   #3
TimWA
Algae Grower

If I switch over tonight should I let the box run for a while until the aquaclear gets some bacteria going?
TimWA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2003, 03:35 PM   #4
digger
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to digger

Yeah, let both filters run at the same time, or put the sponge from the box filter into the powerfilter with the new media.
digger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2003, 03:54 PM   #5
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to GulfCoastAquarian Send a message via Yahoo to GulfCoastAquarian

I'd definitely let both run for at least a day or two to be sure.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.