"Valve" for diy co2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 01-09-2013, 04:31 AM   #1
Adamson
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

"Valve" for diy co2

I was wondering, what exactly would the effect be if I put on a cheap little plastic "valve" thing on the airline for my diy co2.

It would be this:

Basically I could either have it be completely shut, or partially shut overnight so my co2 levels don't get too crazy overnight.
I woke up to a dead fish last week which surprised me, as the tank is 58 gallons and the co2 is only going at about 1 bps.
Maybe it was the ph swing that did it.
Adamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2013, 04:38 AM   #2
creekbottom
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Close the valve at night and get woken up with an exploding yeast bottle. How many bottles are you running?

I don't think it was the CO2 that killed your fish. DIY on a tank that size would be really hard to gas fish. I think...
creekbottom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:38 AM   #3
kevmo911
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

It wasn't the pH swing, nor was it the CO2 levels. Unless you have 6 or more 2L bottles of standard-mixture DIY CO2 going. And, even in that case, while it might have been a result of too much CO2, it definitely wasn't the result of a pH swing.

As to the original question, installing a valve will most likely cause the tubing to blow off of something.

Look for another cause of the fish death, and your concern for overnight CO2 levels is unwarranted.
kevmo911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:59 AM   #4
Adamson
Algae Grower

I am running 2 2l bottles on it. I didn't think it was the co2 but I haven't lost a fish due to an unknown cause in a year, so it was kind of strange for me. Also it was my first time having my ph below ~7.6 ever. So I am not sure.

But sounds good, I won't use the valve, no need to anyway. Thanks for the quick responses!
Adamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:16 AM   #5
funkman262
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekbottom View Post
Close the valve at night and get woken up with an exploding yeast bottle.
You beat me to it. If you want to prevent pH swings overnight, run an airstone at lights-off to strip the excess CO2 out of the water. You may especially want to consider doing that if your fish are gasping at the surface when the lights turn on.
funkman262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:02 AM   #6
Bluek24a4
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

Chemical reactions in an essentially sealed soda bottles will lead to disaster. The CO2 has to escape somewhere.
Bluek24a4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:12 AM   #7
discgo
Algae Grower

Could you put that valve inline on a tee? Just open up the valve and let the co2 out into the room at night and close it in the morning. As long as there is some pressure from the diffuser it shouldn't make it into the tank.
discgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:01 AM   #8
Zolek
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)

Exploding soda bottles are not to be messed around with. I would not recommend this even with a T outlet or whatever, because if you screw it up blowing a soda bottle is legitimately dangerous (hearing damage).
Zolek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:05 AM   #9
discgo
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zolek View Post
Exploding soda bottles are not to be messed around with. I would not recommend this even with a T outlet or whatever, because if you screw it up blowing a soda bottle is legitimately dangerous (hearing damage).
Why? If the valve were closed co2 would go onto the tank like normal. If it were left open, no pressure would build and co2 would be released into the room.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:12 AM   #10
Bluek24a4
Planted Tank Enthusiast

And all the water from your tank would drain out if you didn't use a check valve. I would also think its unsafe to be in a room that has CO2 just being released into it while your sleeping.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:23 AM   #11
discgo
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluek24a4 View Post
And all the water from your tank would drain out if you didn't use a check valve. I would also think its unsafe to be in a room that has CO2 just being released into it while your sleeping.
I didn't realize diy co2 put off that much volume.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:32 AM   #12
Bluek24a4
Planted Tank Enthusiast

It probably doesn't, but I still wouldn't be into that.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:39 AM   #13
ronnie6989
Algae Grower

That valve u can not back pressure for one and also after time the co2 most likely eat up the valve and rot after time.

Ronnie
ronnie6989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:17 AM   #14
creekbottom
Planted Tank Enthusiast

If you let the gas out into the room, you will lose any pressure built up in the bottle. In the morning the bottle will have to re-pressurize in order to force the gas back into the tank. Also, there is a distinct possibility of getting oxygen in the bottle if it's open to the room. I'm not completely sure about this but, you would be making your yeast swing between anaerobic and aerobic fermentation. DIY CO2 is already an inefficient system, doing this just makes it completely pointless, in my opinion.
creekbottom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:06 PM   #15
mrkookm
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (94/100%)

2 DIY Co2 bottles on a 58gal tank is not gonna cause a problem on that size tank . I had 1 2L on a 10gal a while back with fish with no issues.

The Junkie
mrkookm is offline   Reply With Quote