Vallisneria question
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 01-08-2013, 02:29 PM   #1
Sookielee
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Vallisneria question

I am planning a mixed cichlid tank (75 gallon) and wanted Vallisneria as one of the main plants in my tank. I am wondering which type I should get. Can anyone offer a suggestion? Thanks in advance.
Sookielee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2013, 06:24 PM   #2
2Shi
Algae Grower

Can't go wrong with Jungle Vals. They're quite hardy and look great!
2Shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:58 PM   #3
Sookielee
Algae Grower

Are the Jungle Vals good with African Cichlids?
Old 01-08-2013, 07:42 PM   #4
2Shi
Algae Grower

I would consider Jungle Vals to be comparatively good with African Cichlids compared to other Vals.

Generally with Cichlids, there's a very limited number of plants that you can use with hopes of them not getting uprooted/destroyed. That being said, if you insist on using a Val, Jungle Vals are fairly robust and can take a bit of a beating compared to some of it's cousins.

Another Val you can use, assuming you have the right setup, is Vallisneria gigantea. These Vals are a little harder to care for than the Jungle Vals. However, they have broader leaves making it a more difficult target for the Cichlids. If the Vallisneria gigantea is uprooted and destroyed in any way, it will have a harder time rebounding compared to Jungle Vals though as they are not quite as hardy and require better substrate/lighting conditions.

EDIT: Just as a side note. I probably would not even consider using Vals in a Cichlid tank. I'd stick with plants that have roots which attach to wood/rocks/etc. like Java Fern and Anubias. But if you insist on using Vals then I'd say your best bet is to go with the above.

Last edited by 2Shi; 01-08-2013 at 07:44 PM.. Reason: Added side note
2Shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:48 PM   #5
Sookielee
Algae Grower

Thank-you for the information. Vals are actually one of my personal favorites for an aquarium. I guess I can buy some and try, who knows I might get lucky. If it doesn't work and the cichlids destroy them, oh well at least I tried and I will have a good reason to do another tank.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:54 AM   #6
mohican
Algae Grower

Just a thought too, you could plant them in an area surrounded by some rockwork. It may help you keep the best of both worlds.

Posted from Plantedtank.net App for Android
mohican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:09 PM   #7
Sookielee
Algae Grower

I was kind of thinking that, plus making sure there are enough of them that they are viewed as an oddity or toy.