10 gallon tank
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 01-08-2013, 08:54 PM   #1
ScarletFire
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

10 gallon tank

Specs:
Tank: marineland 10 gallon with glass top canopy
Substrate: CaribSea super natural sand
HOB: AC 20
Sponge filter: seapora 30

I recently got a 10 gal, and I have a couple questions.

1. I want it placed on my table, and in hindsight, 5.5gal would be better, but a 10 gal would be more standard for future purposes. Any ways, I want it on the side of the table, but the problem is that the bed is right next to it as well. Will there be a problem as the HOB and air pump will be making a constant vibration? If I just slept on the other side of the bed, would it be fine? By the way, I tried placing the tank horizontally, but the front is sticking out a lot and doesn't make use of space as much.

2. I have a BN pleco in my 29 gal with about 10 painted reds (can't tell if they reproduced because it's too planted to find them all). Should I move him to this tank, get more shrimp to place in this tank, or get a betta?

BN pleco
Pro:
- I like plecos

Cons:
- The pleco will be VERY hard to find as he's very shy
- I need to do more water changes than any other fish because they produce a lot of waste
- I need to buy driftwood for the pleco's good health

Betta
Pro:
- I've always wanted a betta
- I will free him from a small container
- They do well in solitary

Cons:
- I need to buy a heater for optimal conditions

CRS
Pro:
- They don't need as much care as a pleco or betta
- They will repopulate
- Can just combine with original population when moving out

Cons:
- Need to buy driftwood to fill space

3. I got the HOB used. For filter media, I put some filter floss at the bottom, biomax in the middle, and filter floss on top. Should I get purigen for the HOB?

4. The tank is still cloudy from adding water to the tank. If I run the HOB, would the water settle faster?

5. Do I need to get a light fixture if I just have low light plants? Lights in my room will be on for at least 5 hrs. I could also turn on that desk llight next to the tank.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	134_0004.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	63569  

Click image for larger version

Name:	134_0001.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	63577  

ScarletFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2013, 09:13 PM   #2
creekbottom
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I've never had trouble sleeping with a HOB... erhm... while it's running on the tank, I mean. An air pump might be a different story. The air pump will vibrate and hum, the HOB's I've used were really silent.

I know you have that top on the tank, but what if you moved the HOB to the short side of the tank? Then you can enjoy it from both sides! It would take some re-configuring with the top, or just go topless.

If you're going to scape and plant the tank, you might (I would) want to use driftwood anyway. Run the HOB, it will help clear the water. Purigen is a godly substance, I love using it in my tanks, they look so shiny!

Use a desk lamp with a screw in CFL. Maybe 13 watts? That would be a low light tank, ambient light from the room probably won't be enough.
creekbottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:50 PM   #3
ApplestoApples
Algae Grower

I had an air pump and hob on my tank in my bedroom a few feet from my bed. I had no trouble sleeping. When the air pump is not touching anything on the sides it wont make much noise. The hob, just make sure the water isn't really low or it might waterfall out and make noise.
ApplestoApples is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
10 gallon tank, betta, pleco in planted tank, tank journal