Streamin's 100 Gallon low-tech corner tank
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 01-08-2013, 12:43 PM   #1
Airstreamin
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Streamin's 100 Gallon low-tech corner tank

So I picked up a killer deal on a 100 gallon corner tank on Craigslist last night (been hunting for almost 3 months now). So it's finally time to start up the journal. Tank shots below.

I'm going to go the T5 low-tech planted route with a lot of smaller schooling fish as opposed to fewer large fish.

I've got to start out by removing the built in overflow, restaining the base and hood and giving the tank itself a really good cleaning (was previously a reef tank).

Pics:

Airstreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2013, 02:53 PM   #2
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (428/100%)

Big tank + small fish = great idea. It's really great to see a bunch of a single species.

Any idea what you're going for yet?
somewhatshocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:59 PM   #3
Airstreamin
Algae Grower

Coming from years of reef tanks this will be my first foray into the planted freshwater aquarium, I plan to go semi heavy planting with a beach towards to front with some large driftwood in the middle and some cave rockwork towards the sides and front. Below is the "in my head" build plan. Any input is greatly appreciated!

Because of my reef background my kids love the 150 gal I had with several anenomies, clowns, tangs, etc so I'm hoping to replicate some of that in to the freshwater game.

I'm hoping for a large community tank with smaller fish breeds if at all possible, I love the look of cichlids but have not been able to find any definitive sources as to which breeds would be "community" safe as most cichlids breeds I've found are too aggressive.

Trying to keep everything reasonably priced.

Here's what my gameplan is so far:

Substrate:
100 lbs Ecocomplete

Base:
120 lbs PFS or Black Tahitian Sand (still undecided, wife and I keep going back and forth on white or black base)

Filtration:
Fluval 406 routed to 2 flexball joints with 3" flare nozzles for circulation

Lighting:
Undecided as of yet, thinking the 2x 36" Aruba Sun T5 setups, this will give me 156w of T5 HO coverage as well as provide 1/4W Moonlight Blue LEDs for nighttime lighting.

Heating:
2x Fluval M 200w heaters

Parameters I'm shooting for:
Temp 75 degrees
PH 7.5

Plants:
Java Ferns
S. reopens
Micro Sword
Amazon Sword
Wisteria
Moneywort
Dwarf Hairgrass
Java Moss
(List to grow I'm sure, these will be the "starter")

Fish:
6x Peppered Cory Cats
5x Tiger Barbs (still undecided on these, angels or something else)
8x Neon Tetras
2x Clown Loaches (closest I could find to a freshwater clownfish, not sure if will be compatable)
5x Red Platy
5x Zebra Danios
1x Reticulated Hillstream Loach (Not sure if this is a likely candidate or not)

Assorted Red Crystal Shrimp and Ghost Shrimp

Of course, like most all aquarists, I'm open to any changes, options or suggestions.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:01 PM   #4
scapegoat
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

you could go with a lot more fish than that!

personally, I'd get way more tiger barbs, like 20 of them. Though, I'd probably ditch them for another barb; the odessa barb.

i'm not sure how the loaches will do in there, from my understanding they appreciate a lot more flow than normal fish.
scapegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:31 PM   #5
Airstreamin
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by scapegoat View Post
you could go with a lot more fish than that!

personally, I'd get way more tiger barbs, like 20 of them. Though, I'd probably ditch them for another barb; the odessa barb.

i'm not sure how the loaches will do in there, from my understanding they appreciate a lot more flow than normal fish.
Oh I know I can with a lot more, and I will be, just trying not to completely shock the bioload right off the bat. This is what I'm planning for my initial load (spread out over a month, water parameters and conditions dependent of course).

Yeah that was my debate on the loaches as well, from what I've been able to find, the Clown Loaches are the only ones that don't "have" to have a high flow in the tank as long as they have enough breathing room which is why I'm thinking of only getting 2. Would appreciate any input from anyone with first hand experience of having them or anyone more educated on them than me haha.

I had looked at the Odessa Barbs as I love their coloration, but from what I've been able to find they like water between a 6.5 and 7.0 Ph and cooler than 70 degrees which falls outside of my target parameters unfortunately.

I'm open to any suggestions tho! Looking for a lot of color and schools if possible. I'm attempting to mimic the flow and color of my old reef tanks without the high cost and maintenance that came with them! haha

Oh, another plus side to my choices is essentially all of the fish are on the same "diet" for the most part, bloodworms, flake food and algae pellets so it'll make diet and feeding time a lot more manageable (another goal).
Old 01-08-2013, 05:11 PM   #6
Betta Maniac
Wanabe BKK Herder

PTrader: (17/100%)

I'd simplify the fish list (all those barbs and tetras and Danios and Platys) and go with a larger school of one or two types. It makes a much more impressive display. And personally, I’m much fonder of the dwarf cories than the pepper cats (which get quite large and IME aggressive about food).
Old 01-08-2013, 05:29 PM   #7
Airstreamin
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betta Maniac View Post
I'd simplify the fish list (all those barbs and tetras and Danios and Platys) and go with a larger school of one or two types. It makes a much more impressive display. And personally, I’m much fonder of the dwarf cories than the pepper cats (which get quite large and IME aggressive about food).
I had not considered the Dwarf Corys, thanks for the input!

I had debated simplifying the list some... An alternate I ran by the wife was something along the lines of:

10x Dwarf Corys (Thanks for the input Betta Maniac!)
20x Neon Tetras
15x Rummynose Tetras
15x Harlequin Rasbora

Assorted Red Crystal Shrimp and Ghost Shrimp

or something along those lines. Large groups of smaller fish that should leave each other alone for the most part. The Harlequins should fill the top areas of the tank while the Rummys should fill the middle column and the neons the bottom to middle columns.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:50 PM   #8
scapegoat
Planted Tank Guru

I think ghost shrimp are technically brackish and wouldnt do well long term.

if you're keeping shrimp, definitely stick with smaller fish. no tiger barbs for sure!

I have a good colony of red cherries going, well over 100, that two kirbensis cichlids destroyed inside of 72 hours...
Old 01-08-2013, 06:01 PM   #9
Airstreamin
Algae Grower

Quote:
I think ghost shrimp are technically brackish and wouldnt do well long term.

if you're keeping shrimp, definitely stick with smaller fish. no tiger barbs for sure!

I have a good colony of red cherries going, well over 100, that two kirbensis cichlids destroyed inside of 72 hours...
Ouch, good to know. Shrimp are a definite in the tank so barbs are out! Thanks for the input!

One thing that I miss from my reef tanks is the scarlet cleaner shrimp, those guys were awesome. I have yet to find any similar shrimp for freshwater as I guess it's less common to have freshwater "cleaning stations" like in the ocean?
Old 01-08-2013, 06:10 PM   #10
scapegoat
Planted Tank Guru

tiger barbs get up to 3" and they can be aggressive, often times listed as "semi-aggressive"

they're a blast to watch in a group though. I had 7 in my 55g and they were the most entertaining fish. they also crapped a lot which helped the plants. I swear once i took them out my floating plants died off quick.

remember, fish will eat whatever they can fit in their mouth.

my cleaner shrimp is a X... it'll pull food right out of the duncan's mouth and scares off my goby quite often during feeding.

Last edited by somewhatshocked; 01-08-2013 at 10:57 PM.. Reason: language
Old 01-08-2013, 06:21 PM   #11
Airstreamin
Algae Grower

Quote:
tiger barbs get up to 3" and they can be aggressive, often times listed as "semi-aggressive"

they're a blast to watch in a group though. I had 7 in my 55g and they were the most entertaining fish. they also crapped a lot which helped the plants. I swear once i took them out my floating plants died off quick.

remember, fish will eat whatever they can fit in their mouth.

my cleaner shrimp is a X... it'll pull food right out of the duncan's mouth and scares off my goby quite often during feeding.
Yeah that's one of the reasons I ruled out bala sharks, though those are sweet fish, oh well, the down sides of a docile community tank.

Haha, my lawnmower blenny became my tank policeman and every time the cleaner shrimp was being a jerk, typically to my clowns, he'd just set up right above the anenomies and chase them when they came out, my lawnmower would just knock him off the rock and go about his business. It's really cool to see the little personalities that come out in tanks.

Last edited by somewhatshocked; 01-08-2013 at 10:57 PM.. Reason: language
Old 01-08-2013, 06:32 PM   #12
The Dude
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (17/100%)

Have you considered Amano shrimp? They get big and usually do well with peaceful fish as they are too big to eat. They also do a great job at cleaning algae. Personally I would set up a small breeder colony of RCS. Then add them as they get larger. Make sure you have alot of Java and Peacock moss to protect them.
I've got about 20 RCS I put in a 46g with some Cory's, Neon's, and Blue Rams. So far the Blue Rams have left them alone
Member #13

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=678009
The Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:02 PM   #13
Airstreamin
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
Have you considered Amano shrimp? They get big and usually do well with peaceful fish as they are too big to eat. They also do a great job at cleaning algae. Personally I would set up a small breeder colony of RCS. Then add them as they get larger. Make sure you have alot of Java and Peacock moss to protect them.
I've got about 20 RCS I put in a 46g with some Cory's, Neon's, and Blue Rams. So far the Blue Rams have left them alone
I did consider Amano shrimp, I was just worried that they may not get along with the RCS (my shrimp of choice). Have you had good experience with Amano and RCS co-habitating together? The java moss and peacock moss will certainly not be in short supply for what I am planning.

Thanks for the input! I had considered Blue Rams myself as, from what I understand, they do generally well with community tanks like the ones I'm making but the feedback seems to be hit or miss on their compatibility with shrimp species. Some have success and others have a feeding frenzy :/
Old 01-08-2013, 10:58 PM   #14
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (428/100%)

Are you set on Eco-Complete? If not, there are tons of other options. From Safe T Sorb ($5 for 40lbs) to black blasting grit if you're looking for the dark color. Or even standard crushed black lava rock.

I wouldn't mix Eco-Complete and sand. Sand will eventually settle to the bottom. If you're going inert with your substrate, pick one and use only that one.

Don't shoot for the pH. It'll set itself based on the goodies in your tank, KH, GH and such.

Go with Corydoras habrosus or something similar. You could do waaaay more in that tank. I'm thinking about 20.

Since you want shrimp, I'd avoid Tetras and similarly-sized fish. Maybe Ember Tetras (H. amandae) if you go with Tetras? They're a bit smaller than Neons.

Or maybe you could pick two schools - maybe 30 of each? For example… 20-30 Embers and 20-30 of some sort of small Rasbora. That could look amazing.

Amanos will do fine with Cherries. Your tank could handle a bunch of them and literally thousands of Cherries.
somewhatshocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:10 AM   #15
Airstreamin
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
Are you set on Eco-Complete? If not, there are tons of other options. From Safe T Sorb ($5 for 40lbs) to black blasting grit if you're looking for the dark color. Or even standard crushed black lava rock.

I wouldn't mix Eco-Complete and sand. Sand will eventually settle to the bottom. If you're going inert with your substrate, pick one and use only that one.

Don't shoot for the pH. It'll set itself based on the goodies in your tank, KH, GH and such.

Go with Corydoras habrosus or something similar. You could do waaaay more in that tank. I'm thinking about 20.

Since you want shrimp, I'd avoid Tetras and similarly-sized fish. Maybe Ember Tetras (H. amandae) if you go with Tetras? They're a bit smaller than Neons.

Or maybe you could pick two schools - maybe 30 of each? For example… 20-30 Embers and 20-30 of some sort of small Rasbora. That could look amazing.

Amanos will do fine with Cherries. Your tank could handle a bunch of them and literally thousands of Cherries.
Thanks for the info! The only thing I'm sold on is there will be water, plants and fish. Lol

I'll look into those recommendations though. While I want a bunch of schooling fish I'm trying to avoid the "it's just a neon tetra tank" while those are cool in their own regard I'm trying to go for the freshwater reef tank with lots of docile colorful fish. I'll look into the embers and corys you recommend for sure, thanks!

From what I've been able to find the second list of fish are all pretty safe picks for having shrimp in the tank, is there any reason you say otherwise? I've only done reef tanks previously so trying to learn everything I can.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk.