RO water long term
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 01-08-2013, 03:56 AM   #1
azjenny
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

RO water long term

I feel like I remember Speedie saying in a recent post somewhere that while using RO water, you would supplement with a remineralizer at water changes, but that eventually you would just start using plain RO water at water changes.
Is this true? Did I read that wrong? I do use plain RO to top off but at water changes I always remineralize.
I feel like this is a silly question but I can't find that post and its gotten me a little confused....
Thanks!
azjenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2013, 03:57 AM   #2
Bluek24a4
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

I believe you read/remembered it wrong. You always remineralize for water changes, and always top off with plain RO/DI water.
Bluek24a4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:59 AM   #3
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (174/100%)

yep. same practice holds true for reef setups as well.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:14 AM   #4
azjenny
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Ok... Well good then. I wish I could find the post so I could see what I was remembering!
Old 01-08-2013, 01:03 PM   #5
GreenBliss
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by azjenny View Post
Ok... Well good then. I wish I could find the post so I could see what I was remembering!
Was it from this thread: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=200686
GreenBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:25 PM   #6
azjenny
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Actually no! It was a similar discussion though.
I thought it was the thread where he was saying that if they aren't doing well to put them in a bare bottom with nutrafin ACC for a while...
but hmmm, I don't know.. Doesn't really matter I guess if I am remembering it wrong anyway
Old 01-08-2013, 03:38 PM   #7
Betta Maniac
Wanabe BKK Herder

PTrader: (17/100%)

You will have to adjust the amount of remineralizer you use depending on the TDS buildup in your tank. It’s all about maintaining optimum parameters.

My CBS tank has built up its TDS to the point where I'm constantly working to bring it down with my water changes (I think the wood and Ammaznoia have worn out and are now leaching stuff back into the tank). This pretty much means it's time to scrap the whole thing and start over with new substrate (which I’ll be doing shortly).
Old 01-08-2013, 04:33 PM   #8
speedie408
ShrimpKeeprExtraordinaire

PTrader: (388/100%)

Jenny,

I've kept bare bottom tanks with high grade shrimp by using the method you mentioned. 100% RO, remineralized to optimal TDS range.

You have to be certain your RO filter'd water is as close to 0 TDS as possible. Some folks use store bought RO water where the store filters are near their change date and aren't filtering the water as well as they should be. Others who own a RO unit just get lazy/oblivious of changing their own filter cartridges and let their TDS get too high that way. Don't be those individuals .

Dependant on your shrimp bio load, If bare bottom is the route you want to take, you have to maintain at minimum, weekly 20% water change with new 100% RO remineralized water. The less shrimp you keep, the less water you'll have to change. Lotta work involved, but it works.

As far as substrates go, I like to redo my tanks once every 4-6 months with brand new soil. This gives me the opportunity to clean out the dirty/clogged filters/sponges as well. Shrimp love brand new tanks . Just makes sure they're cycled properly first, depending on what type of substrate is being used.

Other folks may prefer to do things differently, so do take my methods with a grain of salt.
speedie408 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:41 PM   #9
Betta Maniac
Wanabe BKK Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedie408 View Post
I like to redo my tanks once every 4-6 months with brand new soil.

Almost seems like it might be a good idea to always have a new tank cycling ... when it's done, I move the CBS over and redo their tank. When that's done, I move the BKK over and redo their current tank, etc., etc., etc., ad infinitum…
Old 01-08-2013, 04:55 PM   #10
speedie408

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betta Maniac View Post

Almost seems like it might be a good idea to always have a new tank cycling ... when it's done, I move the CBS over and redo their tank. When that's done, I move the BKK over and redo their current tank, etc., etc., etc., ad infinitum…
Smart one you are
Old 01-08-2013, 05:21 PM   #11
Betta Maniac
Wanabe BKK Herder

Looks like I have a plan ...
Old 01-08-2013, 06:06 PM   #12
azjenny
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedie408 View Post
As far as substrates go, I like to redo my tanks once every 4-6 months with brand new soil. This gives me the opportunity to clean out the dirty/clogged filters/sponges as well. Shrimp love brand new tanks . Just makes sure they're cycled properly first, depending on what type of substrate is being used.
Every 4-6 months you scrap the soil?! Really? It's been about a year over here and I was beginning to wonder if I needed new, but that seems expensive and complicated, HOWEVER you have awesome shrimp who do great in your tanks and me, less so, so I would be inclined to take your word for it.
The problem is that I only have one tank for shrimp...
Thinking about scrapping my community tank though and going all shrimp soon though
Old 01-08-2013, 06:37 PM   #13
speedie408

Jenny,

Most folks will reuse their substrate or use it for extended periods, much longer than what I'm doing. It probably works for them. I'm just letting you know this is how I do it. Yes it's tedious and more expensive but it keeps my shrimp happy and infection free. Just keep in mind that I import A LOT of shrimp so this may work for me, but probably not the best method for a casual shrimp keeper.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:37 PM   #14
Betta Maniac
Wanabe BKK Herder

I didn't do this with my CBS tank (I had no idea I'd need to, as it was my first planted tank). It's almost exactly 2 years old now, and it's starting to have all kinds of issues (pH rising, TDS rising, stuff is just leaching back into the water from the soil). I may not do it quite as often as Nick, but I *do* think I'll regularly rescape as soon as the soil begins to not buffer the pH perfectly. So it'll be test-based.