4dkh Solution?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 03-07-2012, 12:48 PM   #1
Vinlo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

4dkh Solution?

So I have been out of the game for many moons.. and am getting back into it. Purchased a new UP atomizer and a drop checker. The drop checker came with instructions saying to just put tank water in it and add the PH checker solution it came with. I did that at first but it seemed strange and have since made some 4dkh and used a PH checker I had. My questions is this..

Standard mix for the 4dkh is 1.2g in 1000ml of distilled water, then 10ml of that in 490ml of distilled water. I have a scale that accurately measures .00g. Is it perfectly fine to move the decimal 1 place and use .12g of baking soda, 100ml of water.. 1ml and 49ml to make the solution? I know the deviation is greater when dealing with smaller quantities.

I measured everything by weight (1ml-1g of water). I guess I am wondering how accurate does it really have to be if I am out .02g of baking soda and .07g of water for example? Seems like the difference would be equal to someone's eye in a grad. cylinder? If it is out, what is the effect on the drop checker? Does it go yellow more quickly or stay darker green longer?

I did all this last night right before lights out the checker solution was dark blue when I put it in and woke up to a yellow drop checker - which is likely normal as I leave my CO2 on 24/7 (yeah, it's old school). Just curious. Any thought? Also, i do not have a KH test kit. Last I checked it was 3 I think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2012, 12:52 PM   #2
NWA-Planted
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

If you have a scale that accurate, as long as the ratio is the same, doubt you would have any issue, say you made 5dkh solution, I would think it just means the solution would have to have a greater ph shift to show the color change. if I read everything correctly... There is potential room for discrepancy lol

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
Sump Pimp #8
RAOK Clubber #28
NWA-Planted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 02:24 PM   #3
Vinlo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

oh okay, that makes sense to me. I sort of figured it wouldn't cause major problems if it was off marginally. While I am on it.. I had a quick question about EI dosing also. The general rule is for 20-40gal is 1/4tsp of KNO3, 3x a week. I thought you were supposed to shoot for 10-20ppm of N? Is that total for the week or per dose? I always thought it was per dose? 1/4tsp in a 30gal is only 7ppm?
Old 03-07-2012, 05:56 PM   #4
mahko
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

The ppm values are for weekly totals. Your plants might take more or less than that value, but it's a good start.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:56 PM   #5
Vinlo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

So I got home and checked the drop checker again. It is still yellowy, but slightly green p certainly not lime green though. I checked the ph and it was around 6.6 or 6.4. What would cause the drop checker to be more yellowy? Could it be the 4dkh be wrong? It seems like all signs point to there being enough CO2 in the tank?

On to the next reasons my eusteralis stellata is melting and the ludwigia arcuata is stunted and not growing. Riccia, ludwiga repens, stargrass and blyxa seem to be doing well though. Any ideas?

I dose a little bit more than a 1/4tsp of KN03, 1/8tsp of K2HPO4, plantex and just started K2SO4 this week. I just purchased a t5ho light a few weeks ago. Everything was going well then out of the blue things started to go sour.. and haven't been able to get it back on track.

Been out of the hobby too long and would love some insight.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:00 PM   #6
Plantedtanknewbie
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default 4DKH solution

If this stuff freezes is it no good? I just got mine in the mail and the bottle's frozen... it's defrosting in room temp water atm.
Plantedtanknewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:32 PM   #7
DarkCobra
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plantedtanknewbie View Post
If this stuff freezes is it no good? I just got mine in the mail and the bottle's frozen... it's defrosting in room temp water atm.
No harm done, just let it completely melt and give it a good shake.
DarkCobra is offline   Reply With Quote