Power Compact Bulb Pin Size
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 01-09-2013, 04:35 PM   #1
Viper
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Power Compact Bulb Pin Size

Hi everyone! Inaugural post here.

So, I finally moved my 50 gallon tank from my parents house to my house. I re-homed my common pleco and currently only have a bristlenose pleco in there.

I want to do a low-tech setup with plants. I currently have an Odyssea 36" 96W fixture. I still have the Odyssea bulb that came with it and it is of the 50/50 variety which I assume is really no help to plants. Plus I also heard that the Odyssea bulbs are crap.

So I'm looking to replace it and I see that square pin bulbs come in much greater color varieties. Unfortunately I have the straight pin setup.

So after doing some research I came to the conclusion that I wanted to do a conversion to a square pin setup using a square pin end cap. I'd have to re-wire and everything which I'm comfortable doing.

However, at the suggestion of someone on a different forum that I found through google, I saw that it may be more beneficial just to try buying some molex female connectors and have some free-floating wires that the bulbs could plug right into. This way I'd be able to use straight or square pin bulbs interchangeably.

My question is, does anyone know the size (diameter) molex connector I would need for the pins on the bulbs? Basically, what size are the pins?

Here's the selection of sizes I found from this website:
http://www.jameco.com/Jameco/content...onnectors.html

Hopefully someone can help me! Thanks.

Last edited by Viper; 01-09-2013 at 04:57 PM.. Reason: Clarification
Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2013, 05:18 PM   #2
Viper
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Think maybe I could use a pair of wire strippers to determine the size of the pins in millimeters and then convert that to inches?
Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:33 AM   #3
wastewater
Planted Member

PTrader: (22/100%)

If my memory serves me correct, I think you want to use the .093".
wastewater is offline   Reply With Quote