Do you name your pet fish?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 02-03-2013, 02:38 AM   #1
scribnibbler
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Talking

Do you name your pet fish?

Who's your favorite fish? And do you name them?

I have a red platy named Cumberbatch.

We named our school of Roseline sharks "Delta Squadron"
and our school of bosemani rainbows "Gamma Squadron"

I just got a new female GBRam. Any name suggestions?
scribnibbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2013, 02:58 AM   #2
weezel77
Algae Grower

I don't personally but my boy does! Singapore wood shrimp named woody. Striped Raphael cat Ralphie albino bristle nose Casper!!! He's gonna really flip out when my female blonde guppy drops in a few days...lol!!!
weezel77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:58 AM   #3
steven p
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

I named my dragon goby Falkor and one of my betta fish Banana. I'm not keen on naming most of my animals. For example, we had a turtle for a couple years, we called it Turtle Bro.
Old 02-03-2013, 03:06 AM   #4
Big O
Raider for life

PTrader: (33/100%)

i have named my snail's in my 2.5 work cubical tank. Rams Horn, Gary, MTS, Donald, and Horned Nerite Shelly.
Big O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:12 AM   #5
ValMM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via Skype™ to ValMM

I like naming my critters. My first betta was red, his name was Corporal Cardinal of the Betta Fish Elite Wing. My second betta was yellow with red spots, his name was Ton-yén. My third betta is red with white edging on his fins, his name is Méut jan. I had 4 adult American Grass shrimp and over 20 babies. The dominant female was One-eye. Then there was The Lone Shrimpie. Then there was The Other Female and The Other Male. Any babies were called "little buggers". I named one bladder snail, his name is Dinky.

-edit- Oh, there was also a goldfish named Finnegan.
Old 02-03-2013, 03:56 AM   #6
wendyjo
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

I name my bettas, but I still end up calling them all Bubba or Girly.
wendyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 04:13 AM   #7
driftwoodhunter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)

I named one of my Columbian tetras - the first (and only) time I've named a fish. I don't know what happened to him but he has always looked like he ran into the wall. His head is at a crooked angle and that makes one of his gills stay open and one of his eyes appear to pop out slightly. I call him Igor after Igor (Eye-gor) in Young Frankenstein. Oddly enough, I think he's the dominate male Columbian and the father of my 65-ish fry - lol. He has an extremely tall, flowing dorsal fin, so it all balances out for him...
The Fraternity of Dirt # 7 - Daughter of the Dirt - Canon Club #018
Twin 29g Dirt Tanks on an Iron Stand - DIY 3D Backgrounds
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...stand-pic.html
The Behemoth - 125 dirt tank
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=199772
driftwoodhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 04:20 AM   #8
Mahlady
Algae Grower

SO glad you asked lol!
My kids think I am nuts

Blood Parrot Cichlid - Bubbles
3 Giant Danios - Zena, Zeus, and Polly
Blue Gourami - Jack (his mate died, she was Diane)
Albino Catfish - Whitey
Oto- Oto

Blue Betta- Harold (he reminds me of an "old guy")

My 2 year old named these:
Yellow Cichlid - Banana
Orange Cichlid - Orangie
Zebra Striped Ciclid - Stripe

We have 6 new mollies, a snail, and 3 more oto's to name, I might just call them the 2 live crew, and not name any of them, aside from my daughters snail who she calls "Smelly" for the time being. The betta, Harold, runs that tank now- it's my 55g planted.

Funny stuff!
Old 02-03-2013, 04:27 AM   #9
Knotyoureality
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

I only rarely will name my fish, in great part because it's difficult to easily spot just one fish in a school. Sure, if all the neons are together it's easy to pick out the largest and smallest, but if they're scattered? Not so easy.

Singletons stand a better chance of getting names, but even then I tend to just mentally tag them by their species name or a specific characteristics. Maybe it's just that I live alone-if you mostly only talk to yourself about a fish, a mental image works just as well, if not better, than a name.

The only recent exceptions were my angelfish Fred, whose name is a bit of a joke as I got tired of people asking me what I'd named a fish so I just referred to EVERY fish newly added as "Fred" and my last betta Pez: a lovely but pathetically not well Petco veil tail that I bought on something of a impulse to have as a poop dispenser in my no-tech plant holding tank.
Knotyoureality is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 05:19 AM   #10
Yankee
Planted Tank Obsessed

My dwarf gourami is named "The Count" (after Count Baise) because he's the boss of my 10 gallon! I also have a small assortment of Fancy Guppies named Maynard, Dizzy, Wynton, Cliff (Clifford), and Arturo - yes, trumpet player themed Guppies
Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:08 AM   #11
Mattymo92
Algae Grower

As of now I don't have any fish named... Just my Big golf ball sized Ivory Mystey Snail that my Girlfriend named "Santiago." He has one of the best characters in the tank! He always does this thing where he climbs to the top of the tank, fills up on air, then just lets go of the side of the tank completely, and kind of seems to spread the soft part of his body out and glides across the tank to the bottom. I always know when it happens because I hear my Girlfriend yell "Santiago is base jumping again!!" lol Has anyone seen this type of behavior before?

Oh and we used to have a small Bala shark named Dale ( like Dale and Brennan from Step Brothers... planned on getting a brennan too until I found out the max size)... Anyway, Dale didn't survive the tank cycling... RIP Dale.

- Matt M.
Mattymo92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:04 AM   #12
dprais1
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

I never named a fish.

I did have 14 turtles all named Bob.
dprais1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:07 AM   #13
l8nite
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
Default Do you name your pet fish?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattymo92 View Post
As of now I don't have any fish named... Just my Big golf ball sized Ivory Mystey Snail that my Girlfriend named "Santiago." He has one of the best characters in the tank! He always does this thing where he climbs to the top of the tank, fills up on air, then just lets go of the side of the tank completely, and kind of seems to spread the soft part of his body out and glides across the tank to the bottom. I always know when it happens because I hear my Girlfriend yell "Santiago is base jumping again!!" lol Has anyone seen this type of behavior before?

Oh and we used to have a small Bala shark named Dale ( like Dale and Brennan from Step Brothers... planned on getting a brennan too until I found out the max size)... Anyway, Dale didn't survive the tank cycling... RIP Dale.

- Matt M.
My friend's apple snail used to do this by sitting on top of the air bubbler until he floated to the top, then sink to the bottom and do it again.
l8nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:10 AM   #14
l8nite
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
Default Do you name your pet fish?

We name a lot of our fish. Guppies named: polka, sunset, stealth, butterfly, and sharpie. A redtail named Bruce, gourami named Cranky, pair of angels named Flotsam & Jetsam, betta named "Alpha", apple snail named peach, dwarf frog named kermit. I'm sure there are more.

I really like the idea of naming schools of fish squadrons lol. Might have to come up with something for my neon tetras and black skirts.
l8nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:38 AM   #15
Art by Stef*
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I don't like to name a fish until it's acclimated and settled in, or I feel I jinx it and it will die.
Named a school of neon tetras "Borg" or "the Collective", but we are only down to 2 old timers- "Jean Luc" and "7 of 29".
-Stef*
Art by Stef* is offline   Reply With Quote