Time to Rescape my 29G, Advice Needed
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Aquascaping

Old 01-02-2013, 07:19 PM   #1
R_Andersen
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Time to Rescape my 29G, Advice Needed

Hi, I've been lurking for forever and have had my current 29g tank up and running for about a year now. It used to be planted a lot heavier with various stems, but I've had the CO2 off for the last few months with lower lighting while i try to decide how to rescape it.

The tank currently looks like this:

My plans are a medium tech tank, since it's set up with the following:

Eheim 2213
Coralife dual T5NO fixture in addition to a single T8 fixture
DIY CO2, soon to be a paintball CO2 system.
Florite substrate.

For the new layout, I'm thinking I may not reuse the driftwood piece, singe I think its a little big for the tank. It actually looks smaller than it is in the picture for some reason.

Here's a quick hardscape layout I tried in a spare 29G tank with some stone I have. I have tons of these rocks so I can add mroe if needed or look for different sizes/shapes.

I was originally thinking of a hardscape similar to what I did above, with tall stems in each back corner, smaller midground plants in the middle and in front of both rock formations, and then a low carpeting plant in the center open space. I'm just not sure how the black ricks will look with the brownish colored flourite substrate.

Possibly something similar to this layout:

I really have no idea what would work best and I may still use the driftwood if I can come up with a better layout. I think part of the problem right now is the plants I'm using are too large and have leaves to large/broad for the tank size so tehre's no depth to the layout.

Anyway, I'm open to just about any suggestions, so any advice would really be appreciated.

Thanks,
Rob

Last edited by R_Andersen; 01-06-2013 at 03:54 AM.. Reason: image links
R_Andersen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2013, 09:20 PM   #2
jonathan
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

I can be pretty critical, and I like where you are going with it.

One thing to note with 29 gallon. Its a bit small so the leaf size of your inspiration wont translate as well as you would hope. But maybe it will work I'm personally finding it hard to deal with this myself. I'm working with the same dimensions.
jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 12:43 AM   #3
R_Andersen
Algae Grower

Thanks, I agree completely about the leaf size. That is one of the main problems with the current scape. The large sword and anubias are to big for the tank. I'm planning to use mostly small/fine leaved plants in the new scape. I just can't decide if the black rocks blend well with my current substrate.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
Old 01-03-2013, 01:53 AM   #4
Kathyy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

How about putting one of the new rocks in the tank now for a trial? Then you will know for sure if they are compatible.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:32 AM   #5
R_Andersen
Algae Grower

Yeah, I guess that would have been a good picture to post too Here's a few of the small stones dropped into the existing tank.

Old 01-03-2013, 03:03 AM   #6
jonathan
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Looking at that ^ I think you should go with a darker substrate. I feel it would compliment the rocks better. More natural.
jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 02:32 AM   #7
Fishe
Algae Grower

I would also go with a darker substrate, i use eco complete for my 29 gallon and it makes everything pop. Id also go with some bushy midground plants and maybe some dwarf hairgrass
Fishe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 06:07 PM   #8
scapegoat
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (13/100%)

darker substrate does make things pop. I also noticed my fish color up better; i think because it reflects less light up at them.

the mixed tan substrates look more natural to me though.
scapegoat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2013, 04:17 PM   #9
R_Andersen
Algae Grower

Thanks for the advice. I was able to pick up some bags of eco-complete for $12 each so I went with a black substrate.

Here's a few poor cell phone pics of the progress. The color is way off in the second picture too.

The plants are only there temporarily and will be replaced with different stems and some other plants this week.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.