New rack project - Updare 12/5/2012
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 10-06-2012, 11:28 PM   #1
plamski
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (59/100%)

New rack project - Updare 12/5/2012

Iím in the beginning of new rack for 4 tanks 3x20 longs and one 15gal long. They will house Neocardina shrimps. Substrate will be 1-1.5Ē thick leer of UP Aqua Soil in 3 of them .Fourth one will have Akadama.
The goal is PH of 7.5.Hopefuly with my tap water PH8 ,gh3,KH3 Iíll be able to keep PH no less than PH7.2
I still canít find the right filter. It should be able to lift water to 80Ē high and to have 200-250GPH.
It should be no more than 18Ē high and 8-9Ē wide. I looked over Eheim 2217 but it wont deliver more than 100GPH
at this high.
Iím looking on Mag 5 pumps -500GPH .What will be result if I connect it to Eheim 2215 like inline pump. Iíll remove Eheim impeller. I donít know will Eheim hold this pressure.
Iíll welcome all filter ideas.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New Rack.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	54909  

Last edited by plamski; 12-06-2012 at 12:48 AM.. Reason: update
plamski is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2012, 11:38 PM   #2
rodcuda
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)

You should not need active substrate to get 7.5 ph water. Don't you think you ph will go too low? What about using nuetral substrate and remineralized ro water?
Old 10-06-2012, 11:42 PM   #3
cantsay39
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)

looks like a nice project you got there
cantsay39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:08 AM   #4
In.a.Box
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

on my 10g rack I build pvc overflow. top flow to mid, mid flow to bottom, bottom get suck by canister filter, filter pump water back up to the top tank.
In.a.Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:15 AM   #5
plamski
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by In.a.Box View Post
on my 10g rack I build pvc overflow. top flow to mid, mid flow to bottom, bottom get suck by canister filter, filter pump water back up to the top tank.

Do you have pics or simple graphic scheme?
I thought about overflow but it looks too complicated for me.
Old 10-07-2012, 12:19 AM   #6
plamski
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodcuda View Post
You should not need active substrate to get 7.5 ph water. Don't you think you ph will go too low? What about using nuetral substrate and remineralized ro water?

Inert gravel is too heavy for shrimps to dig on it. Soil adds some nutrition for plants and algae.
I'll do some 90% water changes for a month and hopefully they will lower buffering effect of the substrate.
Old 10-07-2012, 03:22 AM   #7
Nubster
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

Pretty cool but why? Just to do it or is there a purpose it will serve that a couple sponge filters and a big air-pump can't? I'm all for doing stuff like that, but with shrimp and their need of stability, sometimes I think simple is better.
EVIL Camera Pimp member #1
NIKON Pimp Club member #012
SunSun Pimp Club member #069

20L OEBT/Super Tiger/PFR Tank 20L Yellow Neo tank

Nubster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 03:51 AM   #8
plamski
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
Pretty cool but why? Just to do it or is there a purpose it will serve that a couple sponge filters and a big air-pump can't? I'm all for doing stuff like that, but with shrimp and their need of stability, sometimes I think simple is better.
You've got me here . I don't know why. I always thought that over filtration is better. I'm heating for monthly water changes in order to have stability. There will be a sponge filter in every tank thought.
Old 10-07-2012, 04:28 AM   #9
Nubster
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

Just for the record, not criticizing...just curious. It's always fun to play around with different things like this. I just wondered if there was a specific reason or thing you were trying to accomplish. It should be a cool project though. I look forward to seeing it unfold.
EVIL Camera Pimp member #1
NIKON Pimp Club member #012
SunSun Pimp Club member #069

20L OEBT/Super Tiger/PFR Tank 20L Yellow Neo tank

Nubster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:33 AM   #10
plamski
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
Just for the record, not criticizing...just curious. It's always fun to play around with different things like this. I just wondered if there was a specific reason or thing you were trying to accomplish. It should be a cool project though. I look forward to seeing it unfold.
Well, Less WC .I have too many tanks with owns canister filters already.
Cleaning filters and media is the most time consuming for me. I do have auto top off for all tanks-1/4 gal per tank every day. That why I'm thinking with good filtration + purigen I can do WC ones per month. I'll attach 2 Jagno prefilters to canister for mechanical filtration. Canister will be full with bio media only.
In the past I test some inert gravels, turface pro, eco-complete etc-always bad results. There was bacteria issue, low KH issue, not stable PH etc.
That why now I'd like to try something more complicated but more stable in long run-2-3 years.
All comments are welcome.
I know many members got nice breeding result with simple setups. Unfortunately I can't do it somehow.
Old 10-07-2012, 12:01 PM   #11
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

PTrader: (197/100%)

For the specs you list, you will probably find a pond filter will be closer than an aquarium filter, especially the head height you want, but also the flow rate.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:28 PM   #12
plamski
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKShrimporium View Post
For the specs you list, you will probably find a pond filter will be closer than an aquarium filter, especially the head height you want, but also the flow rate.
Thanks Donna.I'm glad that you have time for us again How many tanks do you have already ?
Old 10-07-2012, 02:18 PM   #13
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (424/100%)

You sure you want the entire system plumbed together, sharing water? When it comes to shrimp sensitivity, you know how quickly infection/illness can spread.

Maybe it would be a better idea to consider sponges for the tanks and just plumb them for draining water and refilling. Could save you a lot of headaches down the road and a lot of money, as well.
somewhatshocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:35 PM   #14
plamski
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
You sure you want the entire system plumbed together, sharing water? When it comes to shrimp sensitivity, you know how quickly infection/illness can spread.

Maybe it would be a better idea to consider sponges for the tanks and just plumb them for draining water and refilling. Could save you a lot of headaches down the road and a lot of money, as well.
I hope that Neocardina won't be too sensitive. I'll stick with
PVC overflows how mention above was and if problem appear I'll go for sponge filter only.
In some of the biggest breeding facilities in Taiwan they are using one filter system for all tanks. Probably if the shrimps are healthy with enough supplements and stable water condition they wonít get infections.
We have to try different setups in order to find out the right one .Hopefully after some years we will be able to breed a lot of shrimps here too.
Old 10-07-2012, 05:59 PM   #15
mubender
Crustacean Cop

PTrader: (17/100%)

From experience i can tell ya that i have ph at 8 out of the tap and up aqua soil gets me to 6.5.