This post is a last resort...
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Algae

Old 01-11-2014, 11:42 PM   #1
tenzero1
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)

This post is a last resort...

Well after weeks on here reading countless threads and algae related info I cannot seem to figure out what I have growing in my tank. I hate redundant threads so I am reluctant to post until I have done all I can.

To start with this tank is about 2 months old and is carpeted with HC and has some L. Red as well. I run constant paintball co2 and my drop checker is yellow. I have medium to high lighting running for 8 hours which I had cut back from 10 previously. I dose weekly liquid micro and macro fert mixes made by a member here which have always done well for me. I keep no animals in this tank.

Over the past few weeks i have started to notice some type of algae growing on my hc and ludwigia. However, this is not the typical thread algae I am used to treating with hydrogen peroxide. This algae is very short and dark green and I can rub some off with my fingers but it is difficult to get off. I have tried peroxide and its not effective which has led me to believe its BGA. However, BGA from pictures appears more like a slime. This algae looks fuzzy but not like fuzz algae. You cant see individual strands. My ludwigia has very lightly colored leaves which I suspect may be a deficiency related to the issue. I have read that it may be due to lack of nitrogen but I do not to want to jump to that immediately. There is so much conflicting information out there that I am at wits end.

I am now thinging of doing a 3 day blackout, but I would prefer to balance my tank out and let it work itself out. Any help is appreciated!
tenzero1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2014, 11:49 PM   #2
wheatiesl337
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (20/100%)

Pictures would probably help if possible. How often do you change the water? I see the tank is only 2 months old, and frequent water changes tend to be beneficial for newer tanks.

What does medium to high lighting mean? I have found it pretty much impossible to guess at lighting levels without measuring PAR. Could be your PAR is higher than you need it to be if you have not yet measured it.
wheatiesl337 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2014, 11:54 PM   #3
tenzero1
Planted Tank Obsessed

I do not know how to measure par. I have two 6500k cfls above the tank and its a 5.5 gal. Its pretty bright. I have tried to get pictures of the algae but its so fine that it just looks like a dark green area. I also tried again with peroxide and i had some bubbling, but not as much as i get with hair algae. I have changed the water several times once almost fully after i went back to see family for the holidays and i had an algae outbreak. I should also mention that i have an internal filter due to my external having a leak.
Old 01-12-2014, 12:10 AM   #4
BruceF
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)

Change 100% of the water and add macros twice a week. At the end of the week change 100% of the water again.

I keep a 2.5 that way and it works pretty well. Since I have no fish I never treat the tap water.
BruceF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2014, 12:16 AM   #5
tenzero1
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceF View Post
Change 100% of the water and add macros twice a week. At the end of the week change 100% of the water again.

I keep a 2.5 that way and it works pretty well. Since I have no fish I never treat the tap water.
I had a 2.5 with dhg and hc and almost never changed the water and had minimal issues with algae. I dont think 100% water changes are necessary if you can balance a tank.
Old 01-12-2014, 12:17 AM   #6
creekbottom
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

I think you have ALOT of light above that tank. Visit this: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...t=85667&page=2 and read post #21. Hopefully that will help a little.
creekbottom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2014, 12:28 AM   #7
tenzero1
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekbottom View Post
I think you have ALOT of light above that tank. Visit this: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...t=85667&page=2 and read post #21. Hopefully that will help a little.
I have actually read that and have used that to base my lighting on. I did notice that I may not need as high of lighting for hc to grow well. I have my lights now set to 6 inches above the water.
Old 01-12-2014, 12:49 AM   #8
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru

how are the CFLS positioned? Are they horizontal or vertical. My guess is that you have too much light, not enough fertilizers. more light = more demand for fertilizer / co2. you can try raising the light more off the tank, or adding more fertilizer / co2. Since you do not have living things in the thank other than the plants you can crank up the co2 and eliminate that as a cause. I know that both my flora and 40b are running almost twice the recommended fertilizers for a tank that size due to the light, and plant mass. do not be afraid to add more to eliminate that as a cause as well. It will typically take a couple weeks to notice a difference.
Noahma is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2014, 12:54 AM   #9
tenzero1
Planted Tank Obsessed

They are both vertical. And my co2 is pretty much maxed. Algae growth is not fast but i feel like my plant growth is being slowed by it.
Old 01-12-2014, 01:02 AM   #10
creekbottom
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Great, so you have some idea of light. Have you tested your water? Maybe you aren't actually dosing enough. Test for nitrates and see what that says.
creekbottom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2014, 01:04 AM   #11
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenzero1 View Post
They are both vertical. And my co2 is pretty much maxed. Algae growth is not fast but i feel like my plant growth is being slowed by it.
Vertical CFL's give the most par. My best guess is that you have enough light, you have enough co2, but your plants are limited by fertilizers. I would up the whole lot of fertilizers to 1.5x what you are dosing now, if that does not change try 2x and see if that rectifies the situation. If you were to post pics of the specific algae, we can help diagnose which fertilizer you are most likely low on. upping them is not going to hurt anything though.
Noahma is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2014, 01:31 AM   #12
tenzero1
Planted Tank Obsessed

I will up my dosing and see how that goes. Thanks!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.