Hatchetfish advice and stocking question
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 01-07-2013, 07:17 PM   #1
mindy
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Hatchetfish advice and stocking question

I am considering hatchetfish for my tank. I was wondering, though, if they are the right fit for my tank.

It is a 66 gallon, 4 foot long tank that is set up as a peninsula tank. I have a Eheim 2215 set up at one short end of my tank. Since it doesn't produce enough current in my tank I also have a 750 gal/hr Koraila powerhead.

That leads to my question, will the high current in my tank be too much for a hatchetfish?

Also, if I can do the hatchetfish this is what I am thinking for my tank:

10 hatchetfish
10 albino cories
6 rainbow fish

Does this sound ok?

Oh, my tank has a glass top. There is a gap where the equipment comes in and also a gap of about 1.5" in another section that I use to feed the fish. The whole top of my tank (and the gaps) is covered with window screen. Do you think this will keep them in there?
mindy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2013, 09:18 PM   #2
Imi Statue
Planted Tank Obsessed

They will not like that much current for a few reasons.
1) blows them around
2) moves their favorite food around to much to catch(live baby guppies)
3) blows them around
4) did I mention it blows them around(remember these are smaller fishes and don't need to have great current to be happy)

Surface plants in pockets are great as the hatchets will roam around between them and stalk the prey. Long reed like plants will hide the babies to much if they are layering across the surface. So water lettuce, or other larger floaters will be pretty "ok".

I would put some guppy females for the broods to be released into the tank directly for food for the hatchets. Bottom fish are at your leisure as they will pretty much stay away from the hatchets. Don't mix anything that can out compete the hatchets for their food.

Only other thing is an excellent tight fitting lid to keep them in the tank, or if the tank is tall 30" just keep the water level down around 24-25" deep total.

Bakshi references are always cool!
Imi Statue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 09:36 PM   #3
mindy
Wannabe Guru

Thanks. Well, I guess hatchets are out then. Darn it.
mindy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.