Suggested stocking
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 08-05-2003, 07:54 PM   #1
Deuce868
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

My 70gal is getting ready to go live. The plants are on order so now I am thinking about my fish. This is what I want to have in it:
6 Perl Gouramis
10 Harlequin (or cardinals)
6 Sterbai Cory
4 clown loaches
Ottos & SAE

Now what I am worried about is the stocking order. If I get the pearls in two sets will the first have established territory and bicker with the new set? Should I have clean ups in first like the ottos and cories before getting guys that will leave the table scraps like the gouramis?

Any tips and ideas?

Also how does this seem for stocking levels? I have been thinking about trying to get cardinals & harlequins if I can find cardinals in my area. They are rare aorund here.

Thanks
Deuce868 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2003, 04:48 PM   #2
Gwinna
Algae Grower

Send a message via AIM to Gwinna

If you're worried about territory, move everything around when you put the new fish in. This is a little harder for planted tanks, but by the time you get a second group of fish in there, everything will probably need pruning and rearranging anyway

I'd say put the cleaners in at first sign of algae, that way they have something to chew on. How many fish are you planning on having in total?
125 gallon planted community of white clouds, gouramis, dojo loaches and a pleco. 55 gallon angel tank that the pleco won't let me plant. 30 gallon surprise pacu, who also won't let me plant. 30 gallon hex livebearers, moderately planted.
Gwinna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2003, 04:57 PM   #3
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

That is a LOT of pearl gouramis in a tank that size... unless you are getting all Females you will probably have some aggression problems..

I would probably only do 2-3, if it were me anyway...
GDominy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2003, 05:06 PM   #4
Deuce868
Algae Grower

I have two males that seem to do ok with each other. They just don't like to come out with the lights on. I have not figured out what is up. They hide down in the tank and the only time I see them come out is when a light ot two kick off at night. Even then, as soon as I appraoch the tank to try to feed them they dash back to back of the tank hiding in the plants.

I want to get one more female, but I am having a hard time finding them around here.
Old 09-18-2003, 05:34 PM   #5
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

They are probably just avoiding each other... I have one that is shy like that too... He hides from the 3 spot gourami's in teh upper left hand corner of my 135 Gallon
GDominy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2003, 05:40 PM   #6
Deuce868
Algae Grower

well they never come out during the day. The only other inhabitants are a dozen harlequins and a few ottos. The part that concerns me is that they don't come out at feeding time and the hide at the bottom of the tank. They can actually be extrememly hard to find when I look to make sure I still have two of them.
Old 09-18-2003, 06:04 PM   #7
digger
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to digger

My pearl gouramis are also very shy, the only time I see them is during feedings. They love to hide in the back behind driftwood.
digger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2003, 12:08 AM   #8
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (163/100%)

My pair of Pearl Gouramies used to be shy in the beginning, when they were sick (anchor worms). Since I got them clean and happy, they have gradually lost their shy behaviour. Now they will come and eat from the tweezers, with the light cover angled upwards and my hand over them. This used to be unthinkable.

So what I am thinking is that they might not feel well, either being stressed by disease, water condition, or other - faster - inhabitants. They are kind of slow and easy to scare, but mine are now always around, mostly on the surface, looking for anything edible, like algae and dying plant parts. The dense vegetation seems to give them some confidence.

I started with that pair in my 100 gal thinking I would add more if they'd make it, but they seem to be very content with each other. I can see how two or more males would be fighting, and more females could be good, but being big fishies they fill in the tank.

Here's another thought before I really shut up: perhaps they need to see some big fishies that are not scared to loose their shy behaviour. I have a pair of butterfly fishies, they always come to the front when I show up, and now some loaches that are all over the place... maybe that tells them that there is no danger in coming out to the front and top.

Also I have a lot of plants floating on the surface, Riccia, Utricularia, Water Sprites, Myriophyllum, perhaps that helps too, vs a naked surface with PC's blasting down on them :shock:
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.