"Twins" vintage 10 gal & 15 gal SS Pemcos
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 06-29-2014, 08:15 AM   #1
BeastMaster
Darth Rhymlz

PTrader: (1/100%)

"Twins" vintage 10 gal & 15 gal SS Pemcos

Very fortunate, close friend had these old tanks in his garage and needed to get rid of them. SCORE!!! The 15 gal tank is 24"L x 12"W x 12"H and the 10 gal measures 24"L x 12"W x 8"H. Both tanks have a SS crossbrace along the bottom and the sealant is black and still feels flexible to the touch. There are areas of light corrosion on the SS frame and the glass is coated with white deposits along the top few inches. The 15 gal also has the Pemco sticker still afixed to the front. Will be doing some SS polishing w/ steel wool, calcium deposit removal with vinegar & light abrasive pads and replacing the old sealant w/new black silicone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	339057  

Eheim Pimp #540 Finnex Member #11 ADA Gentleman #6 60F Club 12G Club 60P Club BeastMaster Project Tanks
BeastMaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2014, 02:20 AM   #2
BeastMaster
Darth Rhymlz

These tanks are such an odd size. It appears that the larger of the two is a 15 long. The 10 gal is similar to a coral frag tank. Does anyone out there know if these came as a set? What was the small tank designed for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Eheim Pimp #540 Finnex Member #11 ADA Gentleman #6 60F Club 12G Club 60P Club BeastMaster Project Tanks
Old 06-30-2014, 03:33 AM   #3
jasa73
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (21/100%)

Very cool!
jasa73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2014, 05:22 PM   #4
vanish
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

I have really grown to like short tanks, aside from the problem of having a large footprint compared to the amount of space you need to dedicate to them. Its so much easier to maintain plants in a shorter tank.
Old 06-30-2014, 11:59 PM   #5
BeastMaster
Darth Rhymlz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasa73 View Post
Very cool!
Going to be a fun project. Thanks for looking. Tanks will be set up for outdoors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanish View Post
I have really grown to like short tanks, aside from the problem of having a large footprint compared to the amount of space you need to dedicate to them. Its so much easier to maintain plants in a shorter tank.
Both tanks will be no tech. No pumps or filtration, no CO2 & only natural sunlight. Will set up w/Amazonia normal for substrate. Have plants in little plastic containers sitting in tubs of water (HC, Glosso, Hydrocotyle "Japan", pygmy chain sword, pearlweed & numerous Crypto sp) that will be used for scaping. Can't wait to get started!

Last edited by BeastMaster; 07-01-2014 at 12:56 AM.. Reason: grammar
Old 07-15-2014, 09:32 AM   #6
BeastMaster
Darth Rhymlz

Default Update Pic

Removed the old sealant (original tar based material) & resealed w/GE silicone I. Removed corrosion spots & polished the SS frame w/steel wool. Placed the tanks on tiered cinder blocks & ceramic floor tiles. Water test was w/o any leaks! No AquaSoil yet so, placed plastic tubs w/various excess plants & stocked w/wild Neos & wild green swordtails that were previously in plastic tubs.

Bonus! The friend that gave me these 2 tanks has a 3rd tank he needs to get rid of! It's a Pemco 20H. I've died & gone to heaven.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2400.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	345746  

Old 07-15-2014, 09:46 AM   #7
Morbo
Algae Grower

PTrader: (13/100%)

Looks awesome! Those cleaned up nicely!
Morbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2014, 11:43 AM   #8
BruceF
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)

Those are looking great.
BruceF is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2014, 07:40 AM   #9
BeastMaster
Darth Rhymlz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbo View Post
Looks awesome! Those cleaned up nicely!
Thanks, initially they looked kinda bad w/all the stainless steel corrosion & calcium deposits on the glass but steel wool, vinegar & elbow grease made it worth while. Getting better @ silicone sealing & will have to do it one more time w/the 20H Pemco that should coming soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceF View Post
Those are looking great.
Mahalo for looking. Just came home w/more cinder blocks & ceramic floor tiles for the 5.5 gal & the future 20H Pemcos. Plan is tier the 5.5 gal (currently sitting on a plastic patio furniture table) in front & below the 20H. This grouping would be positioned to the left of the 15L. The 20H would be tiered higher than the 15L & the 5.5 gal would be at the same level as the 15L. After prepping the 20H, going to need 3 9L bags of AquaSoil. $$$
Old 07-16-2014, 09:06 PM   #10
Kai808
Planted Tank Enthusiast

You did a great job restoring those frames! I have a 26 gallon SS frame that I need to clean up too. What grade of steel wool did you use? I was trying to use tooth paste to clean it up but it didn't do much. Maybe I'll see you this weekend at Aquascapes.
Kai808 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2014, 10:26 PM   #11
thefishnoob
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Great job. They really look great!

Ive always had an interest in vintage tanks but I dont really want to experiment with 20-40 year old glass and silicone...
thefishnoob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2014, 03:22 AM   #12
BeastMaster
Darth Rhymlz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai808 View Post
You did a great job restoring those frames! I have a 26 gallon SS frame that I need to clean up too. What grade of steel wool did you use? I was trying to use tooth paste to clean it up but it didn't do much. Maybe I'll see you this weekend at Aquascapes.

The steel wool is kitchen grade, haha. Just used a heavy duty steel pad that is used in restaurant kitchens to remove corrosion and polish the metal surfaces. Gotta work this weekend so going in late fri afternoon to set up and during the set break down period. Hope I get a chance to meet some of you talented local scapers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefishnoob View Post
Great job. They really look great!

Ive always had an interest in vintage tanks but I dont really want to experiment with 20-40 year old glass and silicone...
I like working w/vintage tanks cause all of mine are outdoor tanks. No leakers yet!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-18-2014, 09:43 AM   #13
BeastMaster
Darth Rhymlz

Default Update Pic

The cinder blocks & ceramic floor tiles are now in their final position & 3 of the 4 tanks have been set in place. Awaiting the 20H SS tank. After metal frame cleaning & polishing, removing old sealant & resealing w/new silicone & water testing, will purchase 3 9L bags of AquaSoil and scape. The 15gal Long & 10gal Frag tanks will be designed as a disjoined scape (15L is the left side & 10F is the right side of a continuous single scape). The 20H SS tank will clone the scape of my All Glass 20H tank (taken over by GF) & the guava root cluster that was originally in that tank will be placed in the SS 20H. The 5.5 gal will remain undisturbed.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2420.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	346745  

Last edited by BeastMaster; 07-18-2014 at 09:54 AM.. Reason: grammar
Old 07-20-2014, 11:36 PM   #14
BeastMaster
Darth Rhymlz

Default Got the 20H!

So, finally got the Pemco SS 20H from my friend. Don't have time to work on it this weekend but will try to do some clean up this week. It's an inch taller than a regular 20H so, it's more like a 22H. Here's a pic w/tank in place.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	347570  

Old 07-21-2014, 12:21 AM   #15
BruceF
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)

Now it looks like a whole Pemco Family.
BruceF is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.