Tank Options
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 01-04-2013, 09:29 AM   #1
Jim_PA
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

Tank Options

So as most of you know that follow my posts, wife made me take 125 down, but is willing to let me setup small tank in our laundry room. So it not going to be anything special.

Options
40 Gallon B
2 20 Gallon
3 10 Gallon Tanks

That what the budget and room would allow for. No idea what I would even use them for. I am thinking the 40 Gallon.

Any thoughts? These will be low tech tanks, no CO2, low light.

Not the best, but it better than no tank at all.
Jim_PA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2013, 10:29 AM   #2
Imi Statue
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Me personally, I'd go for the 2 20's, and try different ideas I have not done before.

Have you ever setup a dirt tank? If not, read up around here and follow someone else's tank design/layout. Never used any CFL type bulbs maybe go that route..

Think outside the box and see what cool ideas you can come up with.

Either way 2 tanks gives you more room to do different things or breed something different in each tank...

Bakshi references are always cool!
Imi Statue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 12:09 PM   #3
mR. JLee
Algae Grower

I would go for one 40B for now with a double stand and then another one beneath it down the road.
mR. JLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 12:57 PM   #4
Jim_PA
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mR. JLee View Post
I would go for one 40B for now with a double stand and then another one beneath it down the road.
That not a bad idea. Assume the stands your talking about are cheap to buy?
Old 01-04-2013, 01:47 PM   #5
thesawguy
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)

This is rediculous, I thought you just had to take it down because you had a bunch of company for the holidays?
thesawguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 01:49 PM   #6
Jim_PA
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesawguy View Post
This is rediculous, I thought you just had to take it down because you had a bunch of company for the holidays?
Nope, she wanted it all back up and cleaned up before the company, which I did not do, so she made me get rid of it. So no more big tanks for me.

I can have small one or 2 in the laundry room, but that it.

Not sure if it really worth it since I won't be able to enjoy it unless I sit in the laundry room.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:07 PM   #7
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

I got love for ya man, i have no idea the circumstances and i don't presume to know anything

but if my wife made me take my tanks down, it would not be pretty. we both allow eash other to enjoy hobbies that the other dispises
she can't stand my tanks because it takes time away from her, and i can't possibly stand her hobbie(s) yes with an s because they to me are inane and stupid. but i would never tell her to stop doing them.

im sure you love your wife or you would not have agreed. i will hold no blame there, but man THAT STINKS
Old 01-04-2013, 02:45 PM   #8
thesawguy
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)

I guess if were then I'd go for the 40b, make it a basic farm tank until she comes around. At some point you might have to make it incredibly beautiful to convince her that you should have a proper display tank.
thesawguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 02:47 PM   #9
roadmaster
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_PA View Post
So as most of you know that follow my posts, wife made me take 125 down, but is willing to let me setup small tank in our laundry room. So it not going to be anything special.

Options
40 Gallon B
2 20 Gallon
3 10 Gallon Tanks

That what the budget and room would allow for. No idea what I would even use them for. I am thinking the 40 Gallon.

Any thoughts? These will be low tech tanks, no CO2, low light.

Not the best, but it better than no tank at all.
Would trade the wife in on 200 gal tank or in the alternative,,select the 40 gal B.
roadmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 03:02 PM   #10
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

For all the stress this adventure has caused you, I would suggest a nano. I 'd also suggest you set it up somewhere you can actually enjoy it. If you have a desk were your PC is or you might sit at to use a laptop that would be the place.

Before you do anything else hobby related I suggest you both have an honest talk about this topic. Sending you off to the laundry room is not a compromise to having a 125gl display tank in the living room. I understand a 125 display tank may not be her idea of how to decorate the living room. If so, that's a valid point.

Asking a spouse to give up a hobby they enjoy is a control issue that never ends up good. Couples don't need to have 100% the same interests in life to be successful. But, it is import to try to understand each other's interests and be supportive.

I'm no marriage consular by any stretch of the imagination but, we made it together 32 yrs. and we have friends that have been in 2-3 marriages in that time. I attribute both results to willingness or lack of compromise.

Best of luck.

Last edited by DogFish; 01-04-2013 at 03:23 PM.. Reason: sp
DogFish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 03:09 PM   #11
scapegoat
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_PA View Post
Nope, she wanted it all back up and cleaned up before the company, which I did not do, so she made me get rid of it. So no more big tanks for me.

I can have small one or 2 in the laundry room, but that it.

Not sure if it really worth it since I won't be able to enjoy it unless I sit in the laundry room.
so you've got a 125 for sale then huh?

and no, it aint worth it if you cant enjoy it. I had a 55 and 20 in the basement I couldnt enjoy because the basement sucked and they both ended up algae ridden and over grown. had the 20 in the office, which i barely use... so it ends up over grown there as well. have a 12g reef in the living room that is the nicest of my tanks because its right there.

redoing the basement, told her i'm getting a big tank for down there... looking for a 125. the basement will be the center of our household pretty much, so it'll get a lot of lovin'
scapegoat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 03:11 PM   #12
Imi Statue
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Blazingwolf View Post
I got love for ya man, i have no idea the circumstances and i don't presume to know anything

but if my wife made me take my tanks down, it would not be pretty. we both allow eash other to enjoy hobbies that the other dispises
she can't stand my tanks because it takes time away from her, and i can't possibly stand her hobbie(s) yes with an s because they to me are inane and stupid. but i would never tell her to stop doing them.

im sure you love your wife or you would not have agreed. i will hold no blame there, but man THAT STINKS
Yeah, I was just thinking that divorces have begun for a lot less than this so I think his wife should count her blessings... Really...of your taking this like a real man Jim_PA!

Bakshi references are always cool!
Imi Statue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 04:06 PM   #13
tiggity
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

Having it in the laundry room would suck, I mean really? can you really enjoy the tank there?

Go for a smaller low maintenance set up. Just got myself a 40b, thank you Petco $1/gal sale! Will be doing low tech (no C02, no ferts, cheap lighting) dirt on this and will be (trying) building it's own stand.

My current set up costs me $ (but that's usually my fault due to impulse) and time but with family life, wife, 2 kids (youngest is Autistic), I want to keep this simple yet enjoyable.

Fun project ahead, my wife supports my hobby as I do hers.

Good luck!
40B Dirt | Aqueon Evolve 8 Dirt | Fraternity of Dirt #120
tiggity is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 06:08 PM   #14
zoragen
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

I agree w/ the nano tank idea. You want to be able to enjoy the tank(s) not just have them.
Eheim Pimp Club #490 Ecco 2232
zoragen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 08:17 PM   #15
Razorworm
Planted Tank Enthusiast

+1 on the nano unless she makes you put it in the broom closet
Razorworm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.