co2 for nano tanks
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 01-06-2013, 08:38 PM   #1
plantastic37
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

co2 for nano tanks

Looking for inexpensive co2 solution for nano tanks (6.5 gallons). Do not want DIY as you cannot set it up on a timer to stop.

Thanks in advance.
plantastic37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2013, 09:17 PM   #2
bluestems
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)

Paintball canister w/ AQUATEK CO2 Regulator Mini has worked well for my 7g nano, so far. The canister can be refilled at Sports Authority for $5, so it's much more affordable in the long run than nano co2 cartridges.

my little eden
7g nano, a work in progress

cherry shrimp vase

3g semi-emersed bowl

bluestems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:08 PM   #3
plantastic37
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestems View Post
Paintball canister w/ AQUATEK CO2 Regulator Mini has worked well for my 7g nano, so far. The canister can be refilled at Sports Authority for $5, so it's much more affordable in the long run than nano co2 cartridges.
Thanks for the suggestion. So I pulled the trigger and gots this from [Ebay Link Removed] I was just wondering what else I need for this to operate?

Thanks!
Old 01-09-2013, 03:03 AM   #4
plantastic37
Planted Member

Any advice on economic but good diffuser? Thanks!
Old 01-09-2013, 03:15 AM   #5
kevmo911
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

Diffusers, as a rule, are all over the place in terms of efficiency. Higher-cost diffusers,. and larger-area diffusers, *tend* to be more efficient. In addition, high-pressure diffusers also tend to be more efficient.

However, the high-pressure diffusers can also be problematic, as the cheapo regulators (certain Aquatek models, as an example) have preset working pressures. Paired with the wide cracking pressure range of the Atomic-style diffusers, your rig may or may not work ...at all.

Unfortunately Evilbay links are automatically removed by forum software, so I don't have any idea what you settled on. Just read a bunch in the equipment forum, including the stickies, and I doubt you could possibly have any questions that have not been discussed in at least a dozen ways.

Any decent rig has a regulator with variable working pressure, a solenoid valve, and a needle valve, with a check valve along the line somewhere. Each of these components can be bought incredibly cheaply, though the less money spent is roughly inversely proportional to the rate of failure.
kevmo911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:52 PM   #6
Beer
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Fluval has a nano diffuser for smaller tanks. It has a black plastic housing with a ceramic diffuser. Maybe a half inch tall by an inch in diameter. They are pretty inexpensive. They do not look as nice as the Do!Aqua glass diffusers, but they are fairly unobtrusive and can easily be hidden from view.
Beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:13 PM   #7
bluestems
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantastic37 View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. So I pulled the trigger and gots this from [Ebay Link Removed] I was just wondering what else I need for this to operate?

Thanks!
Sorry, the link didn't come through... If it didn't come with a check valve, you'll want that too.

I went with Do!Aqua nano diffuser for the looks. It seems to function well too.

my little eden
7g nano, a work in progress

cherry shrimp vase

3g semi-emersed bowl

bluestems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:36 AM   #8
tex627
Sponsor

PTrader: (21/92%)

For such a small tank, maybe an inline diffuser would be best. That way, you can keep the clutter in the tank to a minimum.

^^ Click above to visit Aqua Design Innovations, Follow our Twitter, and Like our FB Page ^^

tex627 is offline   Reply With Quote