Exact length of 36" Ray II?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Sponsors > Finnex / Schuber Wright

Old 01-06-2013, 05:54 PM   #1
achu
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Exact length of 36" Ray II?

I have a 55G tall tank (36"L x 15"W x 18"D). I am thinking about getting the 36" Ray II. However, my tank also has a hood (exactly 36 1/4" in length for the opening).

My question, what is the exact length of 36" Ray II, including the switch and the the portion where the electrical cord comes out? Would the 36" fit within my 36 1/4" hood or should I just wait for the 30" to come out in the next week or two.

Thanks!
achu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2013, 10:09 PM   #2
l8nite
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

Hi, I can't help you exactly, but I have a 24" Finnex Ray II DS. Without the "feet" attached to each end, it measures 23.75". With the feet, but without the screws that clamp onto the side of the tank, it measures 24.25". With the screws, it's ~24.75".

The cord (when folded flat against it) adds about 1/8" more, but does not add any length when the "feet" or screws are on (sits flush with those).
l8nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:05 PM   #3
thesawguy
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)

I have a similar question, how well does this light fit onto a rimmed tank with a glass lid?
thesawguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:11 PM   #4
sayurasem
SCAPEr

PTrader: (2/100%)

I'm not sure the exact length but it is 36".

With the legs mounted you can adjust add/less 3".
sayurasem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:43 PM   #5
achu
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by l8nite View Post
Hi, I can't help you exactly, but I have a 24" Finnex Ray II DS. Without the "feet" attached to each end, it measures 23.75". With the feet, but without the screws that clamp onto the side of the tank, it measures 24.25". With the screws, it's ~24.75".

The cord (when folded flat against it) adds about 1/8" more, but does not add any length when the "feet" or screws are on (sits flush with those).
Thanks. This is very helpful! I probably will lay the light flat on the top of the tank (thus no need for the feet nor the screws). Even with the cord, it sounds like the light will fit within the 36 1/4" hood.

Hopefully Lowe will chime in and confirm the exact dimension. Otherwise I guess I can always take a chance and order directly from Amazon.
Old 01-12-2013, 06:06 AM   #6
achu
Algae Grower

An update. I did order the 36" Ray II (Dual 7000K) from Amazon. It arrived today. To answer my own question, the light is just about 35 1/2" not including the switch/electric wire (which adds about another 1/4" or so). It had no problem fitting within the 36 1/4" hood.

Now the bad part. Amazon shipped it without double boxing it. It arrived in the original box (all banged up BTW). The box was partially torn and the best part is that the "feet" did NOT come inside the box. It probably fell out of the torn box. Needless to say, I am returning the unit to Amazon.

All the physical measurement aside, I have to comment a bit on the "brightness" of the LED light. I am trying to replace my power hungry AH Supply 2x 96W (36") compact kit. The current bulbs are about 1 1/2 years old, so they are not the brightest. I have no illusion that a 30W LED set will replace 2x96W PC. I was ready to buy another Ray II once I know it fits. However, I am a bit disappointed on the output of the Ray II. I don't have a meter, so I can't comment on the exact number. However, a simple "naked eyes" side-by-side comparison says 36" Ray II output significantly less light than a 1 1/2 years old 36" 96W compact.

Perhaps I got a bad unit or my expectation of LED is unrealistic. I guess I may have to go the DIY route.