Can Kent RO right be measured with liquid test kits?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 06-09-2012, 12:50 AM   #1
Michiba54
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

Can Kent RO right be measured with liquid test kits?

Howdy all,

I have been using the normally diy seachem GH booster to raise my RO water's gh from 0GH to 5GH, but wasn't liking how long it took to dissolve an read its not the best for shrimp.

So today while I was at the LFS I picked up some Kent RO right, the direction use a chart based on soft, med, an hard water... needless to say its not the most accurate thing I've ever seen, but when I try to test the GH of my "5gal test bucket" using an API test kit I can't get a reading.

After about 15grams(1.5tsp) of RO right to 5 gallons of water my water has gone from 80tds to 800 an still turns green with 1 drop. Has anyone else used RO right? Could use measure the GH or did you just go by the chart?

Any feed back would be great, thanks.
Michiba54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2012, 01:15 AM   #2
150EH
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)

I use Equilibrium but I do add it to the water 2 or 3 days prior to use. You should get a reading with that much RO right in your water so it may need more time to register but it should be available right away.

BTW I use API gH & kH without any problems.
150EH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 01:37 AM   #3
Seattle_Aquarist
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (34/100%)

Here is what I learned about Kent Liquid R/O Right on another forum.

Quote:
Maybe if Kent Marine was more forthcoming with the ingredient list.

I don`t understand why people are so anxious to pour unknown chemicals into thier aquariums.

Even if you do manage to find a MSDS for RO Right(Kent hides it), they don`t list the ingredients directly.Instead,they make you look up the CAS numbers.Once you do that,the reason for all the secrecy is revealed.

RO Right ingredients

SODIUM SALTS (7647-14-5) 0 - 40%, Sodium chloride-common salt!

CARBONIC SALTS (144-55-) 0 - 20%, Baking soda NaHCO3

CALCIUM SALTS (10043-52-4) 0 - 20%, Calcium chloride(the road de-icing stuff)

MAGNESIUM SALTS (7786-30-3) 0 - 20% Magnesium chloride(another road de-icer)

SULFATES (7757-82-6) 0 - 20% Sodium sulfate(so cheap it`s major use is as a filler for laundry detergent)

IMO,the percentage variations allowed are quality control issues nothing short of shocking.
Glad it is working for your planted tank.To my mind,the sodium and chloride levels seem excessive.

Seems to me that simply using Epsom salts(Magnesium Sulfate) and Calcium Chloride and/or Calcium Sulfate accomplishes the same goal more cheaply w/o excessive sodium and chloride.
You could easily add baking soda and salt to the mixture if you felt the need.
So I use Seachem Equilibrium with excellent results.

Seattle_Aquarist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 01:56 AM   #4
Michiba54
Planted Member

I am not using liquid RO right, I don't really care whats in it either, I wanna know if the GH levels are measurable with an API test kit. Almost 3 hours after putting it in my test bucket it still doesn't show up. :/
Old 06-10-2012, 08:11 PM   #5
Michiba54
Planted Member

Default Update

Just posting this as a follow up for anyone else who cares

Over 48hrs later the API test kit doesn't show any levels of GH. I found a few people online that had this same problem, but much like this thread nothing really came of it.

I did however find a chain of emails that said RO right is just repackaged "instant ocean" salt mix an the only way to test the GH is with a TDS meter... that doesn't fly with me. Many discus people said they added RO right to their RODI water based off TDS also, or 1/2tsp per 10Gal.

Guess I'll just buy a mortar and pestle an keep using DIY equilibrium.
Old 06-10-2012, 08:19 PM   #6
Seattle_Aquarist
Planted Tank Guru

Hi Michiba54,

In Equilibrium the ration of Ca:Mg is about 3.3:1.

Equal amounts of CaCl2 (Dri-Z-Air) and MgSO4*7H2O (Epsom Salt) will give you approximately the above ratio and dissolves quickly and cleanly with no 'milky water'. However the chemical reaction of CaCl2 in water is exothermic (creates heat) so I usually mix the two in a pint of water and when dissolved pour it into the tank. That way my fish don't end up with "hot mouth".

Last edited by Seattle_Aquarist; 06-10-2012 at 09:54 PM.. Reason: wrong product name for CaCl2
Old 06-10-2012, 08:39 PM   #7
Michiba54
Planted Member

Ok, thanks Roy.

Is this what you mean by Ari-Dri? http://www.sears.com/dri-z-air-dri-z...&blockType=G11
Old 06-10-2012, 10:00 PM   #8
Seattle_Aquarist
Planted Tank Guru

Hi Michiba54,

Opps, sorry for the incorrect product name; I have corrected the post. Yes Dri-Z-Air is the correct product. It is about 91% calcium chloride, 2% potassium chloride, and 1% sodium chloride (salt). I typically get the 13 oz bag for about $2 from my local hardware store.

Old 06-11-2012, 02:05 AM   #9
Michiba54
Planted Member

One more question: Does the 2% potassium chloride cover your K?
Old 06-11-2012, 02:16 AM   #10
Seattle_Aquarist
Planted Tank Guru

Hi Michiba54,

Plants like a lot of Potassium. I dose dry ferts using the Estimative Index (EI) method so I am adding Potassium Nitrate (KNO3) and Mono Potassium Phosphate (KH2PO4) 3X per week. The very small amount of Potassium Chloride (KCl) in Dri-Z-Air is not sufficient for my plant's requirements.

Old 06-11-2012, 02:22 AM   #11
Michiba54
Planted Member

I see, Thanks
Old 04-23-2013, 10:41 PM   #12
thefishyman

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default Kent RO Right

Adding RO Right only adds electrolytes to the water. You need to add a PH buffer, bicarbonate, (dKH). Kent marine who produce RO Right suggest their PH buffer but the natural PH buffer is sodium bicarbonate. There is a excellent android app called “ Fish Tank Hardness” that has all the calculations for RO Right bicarbonate and both dGH and dKH so you can add Ro right to achieve a desired TDS or add RO Right to achieve a desired hardness value. It calculates both. But be aware the buffer bicarbonate will slightly raise PH as well as acting as a buffer. I use this app and its so simple I’ve checked it against my TDS meter ad it is correct.
thefishyman is offline   Reply With Quote