Fluval Chi 5G - My first tank
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 01-06-2013, 05:24 AM   #1
tomciu
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Fluval Chi 5G - My first tank

Hello The Planted Tank Community!
I would first like to say that before setting up my first tank, I was impressed by the level of professionalism and helpfulness in responses to others that I read through on this forum. Now that I have my first tank cycling, I'm excited to be a part.

I set up my first tank, a 5G Fluval Chi on new years eve (before going out, of course) and now that it's been 5 days I have some questions. I have attached a photo taken after about 20 hours of setting it up. I will take another when the lights are on again in the morning.

1. Two plants - a java fern and ceratopteris - are actually taller than the height of the LED lights (but still submerged). Is this okay, or should I be trimming them?
2. I have read conflicting posts online as to when to add the fish. Some say 2 days, others 2 weeks. I was planning on adding a few shrimp and 1-2 otos, danios or tetras (still deciding). From your experience, when should I add them?
3. If I did anything incorrectly please let me know!

My setup:
5G Fluval Chi tank
Hydor 15W 5-10G mini-heater
Fluval plant stratum
1 each of java fern, hygrophila corymbosa, ceratopteris, crypt and anubias (store didn't specify species names for some)
a Dymax LED lamp on a timer for when I'm away on weekends

What I've done so far:
After planting the tank, it took about 18 hours for the water to mostly clear up. I initially added the appropriate amount of Nutrafin Cycle, Nutrafin AquaPlus and Flourish Excel for the size of my tank.
Days 2-4 I was unfortunately away and so I had my LED lamp set on a timer for 10 hours per day.
On day 5, the leaves of all the plants seem to have a thin brown film (which could be the settled sediment from the stratum?), I added another dose of Excel and I did a water test that showed a pH of 6.8, 0.25 ppm ammonia and 0 ppm of both nitrite and nitrate.

I appreciate any comments I can get!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hamilton 2-20130101-00280 resize.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	62233  

tomciu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2013, 06:12 AM   #2
tex627
Sponsor

PTrader: (21/92%)

No comments? Don't despair!
You know when to add fish when the cycling process is complete, and ammonia with nitrite is undetectable.
The brown film may be some diatom algae, so you should reconsider your photo period.
Finally, you should take off the foam and weight off the crypts I see in the front as well as on any other plants.

^^ Click above to visit Aqua Design Innovations, Follow our Twitter, and Like our FB Page ^^

tex627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:42 PM   #3
GMYukonon24s
Planted Tank Guru

Nice startup!

MIAPG - Come join us - Plantedtank - MI - Greatlakesaquaria
GMYukonon24s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:50 PM   #4
Borikuan
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)

If your planing on keeping those plants alive, you will need to remove the gimmicky filter/light combo and go with a real light. Im running a very cheap Walmart light on mine, and an internal Penplax filter, just a suggestion...
Borikuan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:38 PM   #5
skindy
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borikuan View Post
If your planing on keeping those plants alive, you will need to remove the gimmicky filter/light combo and go with a real light. Im running a very cheap Walmart light on mine, and an internal Penplax filter, just a suggestion...
I disagree. OP has a lot of low-light plants that will do just fine. I still have the same OEM filter and light that came with my Chi and my anubias, java ferns, and water sprite thrived. I currently have all but the water sprite now and they're also thriving. There are a few other members here on TPT with Chi set-ups using OEM equipment with low-light plants who are also getting positive results
skindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:14 PM   #6
Borikuan
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skindy View Post
I disagree. OP has a lot of low-light plants that will do just fine. I still have the same OEM filter and light that came with my Chi and my anubias, java ferns, and water sprite thrived. I currently have all but the water sprite now and they're also thriving. There are a few other members here on TPT with Chi set-ups using OEM equipment with low-light plants who are also getting positive results
Mine must have been defective then. The LEDS shine straight down and have almost no spread. My java fern started to yellow right away and it was right bellow it. Hopefully he has success with it, but to me the thing is crap and I have grown plants with very, very cheap and dim lights before ( actually I still do ). Trust me , upgrade...
Borikuan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:34 PM   #7
tomciu
Algae Grower

Thank you for the comments/suggestions.

I've since added an oto, 2 black and white diamond shrimp and 3 other shrimp. I had asked for red cherries at the store but when I got home discovered something different!
I have reduced my light time to 8 hours, and after 2 days of adding the livestock about 90% of the brown algae is gone.

I'm wondering if anyone can answer my question about the tall plants, should I trim them down?

Updated photos:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Hamilton 2-20130106-00293 er.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	63674  

Name:	Hamilton 2-20130106-00291 er.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	343.3 KB
ID:	63682  

Name:	Hamilton 2-20130106-00288 er.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	348.0 KB
ID:	63690  

Old 01-09-2013, 12:17 AM   #8
MABJ
Invert Warrior

PTrader: (14/100%)

Why did you add fish? Did you have any indication your cycle was complete? I am not a believer in nutrafin..
Mark A Belcher Junior, founder -- DBP Club.
MABJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:11 AM   #9
skindy
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)

Did you pick up some algae wafers for your oto? I'm not sure if there is going to be enough food for him at this point since it's a new tank.
skindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:38 AM   #10
tomciu
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by MABJ View Post
Why did you add fish? Did you have any indication your cycle was complete? I am not a believer in nutrafin..
The water parameters that my kit tested for were safe, and 6 days had passed so I just followed what I read others online had done. I was also a little eager to at least get the oto as the algae was spreading. The Nutrafin came with the tank, and even questioning the product, I assumed that the plants would have definitely introduced some bacteria? I'm quite new to this so I would appreciate if you could elaborate what I should have done?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skindy View Post
Did you pick up some algae wafers for your oto? I'm not sure if there is going to be enough food for him at this point since it's a new tank.
I read several times online that otos don't actually eat algae wafers but that seemed to be quite a debate. I've added some lightly blanched lettuce in with a plant weight, other than that I'm torn what to do based on the opposing opinions I've read. It seemed people on both sides had success.

Other than the oto and shrimp, would it be a good idea to eventually get other small fish? Tetra wouldn't work because I've read I need a minimum of 6, and my tank is too small for 6. I was reading that white clouds could be a compatible addition, anything else?
Old 01-09-2013, 06:09 AM   #11
Conrad283
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

Celestial Pearl Danio's. I'd take a picture of the 6 that I have but they're too damn fast and they have lots of hidings spots.

Nice tank btw
Conrad283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:41 PM   #12
tomciu
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad283 View Post
Celestial Pearl Danio's. I'd take a picture of the 6 that I have but they're too damn fast and they have lots of hidings spots.

Nice tank btw
Thanks for the compliment! I read that Celestial Pearl Danios require slightly alkaline water, which would not work for my slightly acidic tank? I also read up more on the white clouds and they're apparently jumpers so I wouldn't want to risk them jumping out of this tank. I've read similar incompatibilities for coral platies and endlers. Any thoughts?
Old 01-11-2013, 05:43 PM   #13
MABJ
Invert Warrior

Lots and lots and lots of least killifish. Sorry, I'm out forums official least killifish advocate hah.

They don't school, the loosely shoal. Live bearers, but very, very neat little fish
Old 01-11-2013, 05:56 PM   #14
Beer
Planted Tank Obsessed

Least Killies are cool little fish, but you'll need somewhere for all the babies.
Endlers will do fine for you as well, but once again, you'll need somewhere for all the babies. Unless you get all males (the females are the plain looking ones).

Those shrimp are referred to as Amano or Japonica. They will grow to 2-2.5".
Beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:59 PM   #15
MABJ
Invert Warrior

Eh. The babies grow slow. Once I have 6-8 adults in my 3 gal, I'll start RAOKing juvies.