growing micranthemum umbosum
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Plants

Old 01-07-2013, 07:02 AM   #1
bolsy
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

growing micranthemum umbosum

I have 55watt t5 HO lights x 4 over my 4ft tank. Is this enough light for Micranthemum umbrosum. Plants were doing well then stems started rotting. Seems to be when the plant started to bush out it was shading itself of light. So i thought maybe it needs intense light to keep it at its best. I have pressurized co2.
I dose powdered ferts (along EI dosing lines).
I like this plant in my tank, so hoping someone can give me some tricks on keeping it looking good.
bolsy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2013, 08:44 AM   #2
auban
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

i have collected this plant from many locations in north carolina. in the wild, it grew in various types of substrate, from gravel to mud, and in various types of water, from soft acidic to hard alkaline. i have seen it growing in full sun and in heavy shade.

the one thing that is common in every instance that i have encountered it is that it barely struggles to survive in stagnant water but THRIVES in fast flowing water.

see all the green in the water around me and in my net in this pic? it is all M. umbrosum.
as far as i can tell, as long as you have decent light and ferts, the only thing else that makes a difference is flow.
auban is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 09:31 AM   #3
bolsy
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Thanks Auban, I have just added a power head to my tank a week ago to help with circulation. Hopefully this will help.
bolsy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.