40G Breeder
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 01-05-2013, 05:46 PM   #1
Wingsdlc
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Wingsdlc

40G Breeder

40 Gallon Breeder - Tank and stand - Free
Substrate - 5 bags of Flourite Red ($10 per bag)
Light - 65W compact florescent flood light (Lowes $45) - Has a light sensor on the side so I had to cover it with some black foam.
Hanging equipment/wiring - $15 wire, conduit etc about $10
Filters - Rena XP1 and Eheim 2213

Plants - Trimmings from my 75G (ludwigia arcuata x repens, ludwigia brevips, Hottonia palustris, anubias nana, Blyxa japonica, Bolbitis heudelotti, Limnophila aromatica, and Cryptocoryne wendtii)

In the future I will move more towards low light plants and maybe a few groups of stems.

Hardscape - currently there are only a few small chunks of drift wood but will get rock when I can make a trip to the rock yard.

Cycle - When I set up the tank I already had the Eheim running on my 20G long I took down and added a 1/8th of a bucket of tank sludge to the substrate before filling the tank. After a week of running the tank I had 0 ppm ammonia, 0 ppm nitrite, and 90 ppm nitrates.

Current inhabitants are a few rams horn snails. I hope to get a group of corys and probably some smaller plecos. Along with group of schooling fish.

Last edited by Wingsdlc; 01-09-2013 at 12:02 AM.. Reason: Details added
Wingsdlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2013, 06:12 PM   #2
ngrubich
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (25/100%)

I did a similar DIY hanging with my metal halide fixture on my discus tank out of the conduit. I made mine so I can spin the light out from over the tank and out of the way in case I need to take anything out of the tank.

As far as the plants go, I'm sure it will look great when the plants fill in, but I'm kinda wondering if you will end up with a bush of plants. It happened with me a while back because I set the tank up with just stem plants and while it made for a ton of cover for my dwarf puffers, I didn't like how there wasn't a real shape/flow to the tank.
ngrubich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:03 AM   #3
Wingsdlc
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Wingsdlc

Details have been updated.
Wingsdlc is offline   Reply With Quote