Need advise. What is the most ideal equip. to use for my new 40 gallon planted tank.
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 01-05-2013, 04:51 PM   #1
shanco

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thumbs up

Need advise. What is the most ideal equip. to use for my new 40 gallon planted tank.

light?
heater?
filter?
need help picking plants. i want short to medium size easy to maintain.
what kind of substrate?
shanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2013, 05:08 PM   #2
ngrubich
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (25/100%)

Some items will vary depending on what you plan on doing with the tank i.e. what type of fish and/or shrimp you want to keep, the plants, etc.
What are you wanting to do with the tank?
ngrubich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:26 PM   #3
shanco

calm community fish. blue lobsters. and plants not sure. new to the game.
shanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:27 PM   #4
B. Rodgers
Algae Grower

Default this is what he wants

B. Rodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:30 PM   #5
midlife_hobbyist
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

That's awesome..
Needs a small piece of manzanita with moss growing from it....
midlife_hobbyist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:33 PM   #6
B. Rodgers
Algae Grower

We are both new to the planted tank. I have a reef tank so I'm familiar with that aspect of it. However I have no advice to offer him concerning planted aquariums. He's pretty new to the hobby and wants to set up a planted tank. I think the best bet would be to point him towards a light that will provide the best spectrum from the largest variety of plants cuz he's not sure which one's he want to get. I recommended a canister filter and he's going to attempt a DIY Co2 reactor from Urajoey on youtube. Not sure which heater to go with either. I don't know anything about substrate either so that's all you guys =)

I sent him here because I know you are the experts and will help him figure it out!

Thanks guys!
Old 01-05-2013, 05:35 PM   #7
B. Rodgers
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by midlife_hobbyist View Post
That's awesome..
Needs a small piece of manzanita with moss growing from it....

Neither of us have any idea what this is ^^^ LOL. It's Chinese to us at this point
Old 01-05-2013, 05:38 PM   #8
B. Rodgers
Algae Grower

What's in the picture has obviously been done by a professional, we are probably not capable of reproducing such excellence but it's a goal to shoot for. What kind of light do you think he's running on that tank?
Old 01-05-2013, 06:02 PM   #9
ngrubich
Wannabe Guru

I'm a big fan of sumps (got used to them with my reef tank), but with a 40 gallon tank, you's see a lot of people with canisters or HOB filters (like AquaClear) especially if the tank isn't drilled.
Substrate is one of the things I like to decide on after I select what types of plants and fish I want to add: bottom feeders (like cories) will get scraped up on a substrate like flourite so you'd need something finer/more rounded. You don't need to spend a fortune on substrate in my opinion unless you are keeping a shrimp tank. The buffering/cation exchange capacity of a substrate doesn't matter (in my opinion) unless water is actually constantly flowing over it, like if you have an undergravel filter. But those aren't usually recommended in a planted tank because you'll end up with roots tangled up in it and it's a PITA to deal with.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:06 PM   #10
ngrubich
Wannabe Guru

If I'm not mistaken, that is a 96W Coralife Aqualight PC fixture. I'd probably get a two-lamp T5HO fixture or LED if you want to spend the money on it.

If you use a canister filter, you can get an in-line heater so you don't have one sitting in the tank.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:30 PM   #11
mstamper
Algae Grower

If you are committed to having a blue lobster (aka blue crayfish) know that they will clip every live plant you have in your tank. I know this from first hand experience. If you want to keep one with other community tank fish also know that the slower moving fish have the opportunity to become food for the lobster. These guys are also escape artists. I have had mine escape twice.

As far as livestock, I would stick with the community fish alone. Another option would be to stock with dwarf cichlids with lots of plants and caves.

I love my Rena XP canisters on my 40b tanks. water stays clear and they have a decent exchange as well.

Look in the for sale / trade section for plants that you can use in a low / mid light tank. Someone always has plant trimmings for sale.
mstamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:13 PM   #12
B. Rodgers
Algae Grower

I recommended this light for him, but I want to know if you guys think it's worth it or not? I bought the same fixture for my 40 gallon reef tank but mine was a 4 bulbs with actinics and 10,000k bulbs. I know the fixture works well but what do you think?

http://www.no ebay links allowedcom/itm/T5-Dual-36-6...item460a6899cd
Old 01-06-2013, 05:32 PM   #13
B. Rodgers
Algae Grower

I had also recommended the Fluval 206 for a filter, would this be a good recommendation and can you use an inline heater with it? If so, which inline heater would work best? Any links?
Old 01-07-2013, 06:32 PM   #14
snakebite
Algae Grower

Equipment list for my 40B -
  • (2)XP3
  • Hydor 200w in-line heater
  • Koralia 750
  • 2 T5HO

Decide if you want a low or high tech setup. Don't rush into anything, make sure to do alot of reading and have lots patience.
snakebite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:11 PM   #15
mrbprint
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

I'm in NY and my 40B has a CFS-500 canister filter($50-60 EBAY) 100w 30 yr old submersible heater and I started with a $15 shop light from Home Depot although I now have a double T5 on it I got for around $50 on no ebay links allowed Plants are a jungle and fish doing well. Typical community set-up