Giving in to my water - Planted tank with Africans?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 01-05-2013, 08:03 PM   #1
cheesehead
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Giving in to my water - Planted tank with Africans?

I really really really like south American fish. Apistos, rams, tetras. And I like plants. I switched to planted tanks from Africans, oh, 22 years ago.

But my tap water is KH 10, GH 10, and it's been a constant fight to keep that nice, soft water with proper buffering and water chemistry.

And so, as I'm slowly bringing my 200 gallon back online I am considering going with what nature and my city water utility are giving me. I'm thinking of a tank with some peacocks and perhaps some other Africans (NOT mbuna!). The tank is high tech high light with CO2 injection, Seachem onyx sand substrate. The tank is hard plumbed into a RO system, if I go African I can ditch the RO and just fill/water change through a micron filter and carbon block.

I've got lots of limestone all around the yard that I can use for in the tank. (It's why my water is liquid rock - I'm sitting on a big shield of limestone/dolomite.) I'm thinking of tying some Anubias on limestone, a large sword or two, and I've got a whole colony of a bronze crypt (~foot tall) and crypt spiralis that are heavily rooted and should/may resist the fish digging. Also have some chain swords that may or may not survive the changeover if I do it.

Thoughts? Will these plants survive the water and the cichlid onslaught? Other plant suggestions?

Edit - OK, with a google search I found this on APC:
http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...-cichlids.html

Any other experiences?

Last edited by cheesehead; 01-05-2013 at 08:12 PM.. Reason: Found more info...
cheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2013, 08:16 PM   #2
dastowers
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

Cheesehead..I have the same water but I have an RO unit for the Discus tank and Angel tank. For Christmas I created a 75 gallon bowfront for my husband. It is stocked with Peacock Cichlids and lightly planted with Jungle Val and java ferns and I use the liquid rock LOL!. The jungle val grows like a weed- seriously! The Peacock Cichlids are wonderful compared to Mbuna behaviorally.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:17 PM   #3
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Many of the plants we keep in soft water will grow just fine, perhaps better, in hard water. There are just a few that really demand soft water.

Fish eating them is another issue. I would try a little of everything that seems to be fish-proof, and a bit of some of the others. When you find out what is good with the fish you want, then get more of those and finish out the planting.

Suggestion:
Bolbitis, a fern that is nicer leaf shape (IMO) than Java, and thrives in the path of flowing water. Grown anchored to a branch or a rock.
Vallisneria. There is even a species of Val that is native to some of the lakes. Any of the Vals will creep under the rocks and pop up between the rocks.
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
african cichlid

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.