Glofish
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 07-26-2012, 02:15 AM   #1
craigofva
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Glofish

Does anyone have a glofish tank? If so do you have a link?
The Fraternity of Dirt #95

~Asking Dumb Questions so i Dont Make Dumb Mistakes.~ Me
craigofva is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2012, 05:33 AM   #2
jeremyTR
Suspended

PTrader: (4/100%)

I don't like them. They just look so unnatural(because they are...)

they don't match anything in a planted tank and stand out like a sore thumb. (imo of course)

~~~
jeremyTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 06:03 AM   #3
fusiongt
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

It's what is wrong with the fish/aquarium industry. It's on the same level as selling bettas to people who want to keep them in a glass cup.

Fish are beautiful creatures already, there's no need for us to inject them with crap from jellyfish or however they make it (dyes or things-from-jellyfish is what I've read).

But if you're really interested in a glofish tank get some plastic plants, some neon gravel, fake plastic "no-fishing" signs, and you're set. It doesn't count as a planted tank though so don't bother making a tank journal heh
Old 07-26-2012, 08:11 AM   #4
CatB
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via AIM to CatB Send a message via Skype™ to CatB

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusiongt View Post
It's what is wrong with the fish/aquarium industry. It's on the same level as selling bettas to people who want to keep them in a glass cup.

Fish are beautiful creatures already, there's no need for us to inject them with crap from jellyfish or however they make it (dyes or things-from-jellyfish is what I've read).

But if you're really interested in a glofish tank get some plastic plants, some neon gravel, fake plastic "no-fishing" signs, and you're set. It doesn't count as a planted tank though so don't bother making a tank journal heh
come on, this guy asked for tanks, not lectures.
haven't you ever heard of "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all?" i'd understand your anger if he had actually said or done anything wrong, but he HASN'T.

do your research before you rant: glofish are perfectly humane, whether you like them or not. they're not injected with anything, their GENES have been modified with properties of jellyfish and coral genes. they're not caused any pain or lack of normal fishy function by this modification, and if you think THAT'S inhumane, you better stop eating most vegetables, as a lot of vegetable seeds are genetically modified by agricultural scientists now to grow more favorably.

come off it, you might not like glofish but other people do, and if they're kept in an adequately-sized tank with adequate filtration, heating and tankmates like any other zebra danio or black (white?)-skirt tetra, respectively, then it's a fine thing to do, certainly nowhere near as inhumane as keeping blood parrot cichlids or fancy goldfish, and not even close to being in the same league as keeping bettas in tiny cups.

just because something's not your cup of tea doesn't make it wrong, get over it.

OP: there are zebra danio and something-skirt tetra glofish out now that i know of, house them like you would the normal varieties of the respective species.
CatB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:43 AM   #5
fusiongt
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

^ Yep you're right, I didn't know that much about it. I thought they were the same as painted fish but they aren't so I'll do more research on it. I don't know much about them because last I checked they were illegal in California where I live so never have seen them. I won't comment on why they're illegal as you're right, that's not what the topic is.

If glofish are your cup of tea, I would say just do the planted tank however you want but have a timer for a black light so at night they'll really shine. (Do house the fish in a much larger tank than this video though)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1xbk7M1yIo

And an example of Petco marketing their glofish and glofish specific tanks (with black lights and matching fake plants)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tP-n...eature=related
Old 07-26-2012, 09:06 AM   #6
CatB
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via AIM to CatB Send a message via Skype™ to CatB

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusiongt View Post
^ Yep you're right, I didn't know that much about it. I thought they were the same as painted fish but they aren't so I'll do more research on it. I don't know much about them because last I checked they were illegal in California where I live so never have seen them. I won't comment on why they're illegal as you're right, that's not what the topic is.

If glofish are your cup of tea, I would say just do the planted tank however you want but have a timer for a black light so at night they'll really shine. (Do house the fish in a much larger tank than this video though)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1xbk7M1yIo

And an example of Petco marketing their glofish and glofish specific tanks (with black lights and matching fake plants)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tP-n...eature=related
glad you've come around- but OP, while it would look cool, i wouldn't do black lights as it can damage both fish and plants :P
CatB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:10 AM   #7
Chaoslord
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

This should answer your questions. I personally like my glofish that I inherited from my son after he grew tired of them.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:16 AM   #8
Chaoslord
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

http://www.glofish.com/faq.asp
Old 07-26-2012, 02:00 PM   #9
librarygirl
Planted Member

PTrader: (19/100%)

Debates about the fish aside I hate how they are marketed. My PetSmart has a small section of Glofish "tanks" that are not much more than 2.5 gal containers with black lights. Glofish are danios and still need room to swim, so an adequately sized tank (20+ gals) with proper filtration, etc. is still needed. Blacklight might be OK in very small doses (an hour or two per day) but it shouldn't be the sole light for the aquarium. Just IMO
librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 02:04 PM   #10
Jegli09
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

I heard that glo fish colors fade in time?
Jegli09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 02:17 PM   #11
Aquarist_Fist
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by librarygirl View Post
Debates about the fish aside I hate how they are marketed. My PetSmart has a small section of Glofish "tanks" that are not much more than 2.5 gal containers with black lights. Glofish are danios and still need room to swim, so an adequately sized tank (20+ gals) with proper filtration, etc. is still needed. Blacklight might be OK in very small doses (an hour or two per day) but it shouldn't be the sole light for the aquarium. Just IMO
Yes, very good point. Most Americans get into the hobby (and that's the target audience for glo-fish) with a very small tank, and keeping danios in anything under 28" (36 or 48 would be much better) is a horrible idea.
Pimp Club Member #313

Originally Posted by macclellan
my personal favorite is Random Capitalization. It is so Very fun and Surprising.
Aquarist_Fist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 02:20 PM   #12
wendyjo
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

I've kept glofish danios in the past. I liked them alot, BUT, they were not healthy fish. I bought them from different sources both local and online, but no matter where I got them from they suffered from so many different ailments that once the last one died I swore never to get them again. I've had them develop tumors, dropsy, wasting/skinny disease and this was not all at once but over a period of about a year.

I have had conversations in other forums with people who have had the exact same problems with them. Whether their immune systems are compromised due to inbreeding I can't say, but something is not right with them. I believe they negatively affected the overall health of my tank.

Each time I see them at the store I really have to resist the urge to buy more of them. I think they are lovely and their bright colors look awesome with black gravel and healthy green plants.
wendyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 02:22 PM   #13
wendyjo
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

And no their color doesn't fade - it's part of their DNA, not a dye.
wendyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 02:29 PM   #14
m8e
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatB View Post
glad you've come around- but OP, while it would look cool, i wouldn't do black lights as it can damage both fish and plants :P
There is different types of uv-light. Blacklights give mainly UVA which is pretty harmless. UV-filters and sterilizers use UVB and UVC.
Old 07-26-2012, 02:36 PM   #15
ony
Planted Member

Maybe you should do some research before giving lectures guys. Glo fish are not injected, dyed, tattooed, put in hormone baths or any of the other disgusting things that peple can do to 'improve' fish. They are just genetically modified, It probably has less inherent cruelty than selective breeding.

I bet you guys eat GM food. IMO GM crops are a far bigger problem due to the risk of cross pollination with wild and non-GM crops.

OP: Sorry never even seen a Glofish myself let alone photographed one, they aren't imported to the UK. Probably illegal and there wouldn't be a market for them here.
ony is offline   Reply With Quote