Foreground or carpet plants + new lighting
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 01-05-2013, 02:36 AM   #1
plantastic37
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

Foreground or carpet plants + new lighting

So originally I decided to do pygmy chain sword because I had the upper end of low light on my aqueon evolve 8 gallon tank. I now have a fugeray 12" LED fixture that gives 38-42 PAR at 10". I am dosing excel but I might be convinced to switch to co2 if there was some easy way to prevent it from killing my beloved fish (lol).

The thing that I have experienced with the pygmy chain sword and this could be a left over effect from the old lighting is that it is very tall (4-6" strands). I just am not in love with the look of the stuff.
plantastic37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2013, 12:54 PM   #2
dastowers
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

I have both pygmy chain sword and dwarf hair grass as foreground plants in the 150g. The hair grass is by far my favorite of the two. It grew well with Excel and now with a GLA pressurized Co2 system.

Last edited by dastowers; 01-05-2013 at 08:01 PM.. Reason: spelling
dastowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:46 PM   #3
plantastic37
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dastowers View Post
I have both pygmy chain sword and dwarf hair grass as foreground plants in the 150g. The hair glass is by far my favorite of the two. It grew well with Excel and now with a GLA pressurized Co2 system.
I like Dwarf Hair grass! Now that I have higher lighting I may have to try it. Does it grow very quickly without Co2?

Is it a root feeder like PCS?

Thanks for the wonderful suggestion, btw I want your tank!! Lol! That thing is drool worthy!
plantastic37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:06 PM   #4
dastowers
Algae Grower

Gee thanks! I have just switched from Excel and Flourish to Pressurized Co2 and EI dry ferts less than 24 hours ago on the 150 gallon office tank. Diana W. has been a great inspiration to me over many years along with Tom Barr. My tanks are a mixture of substrates. This is a pic of a 60 gallon Diana W inspired tank. (or maybe my take on it) Living in a very poor area of Appalachia there aren't very many shops to visit for inspiration or stock- so most of my plants are run of the mill stuff. With the addition of Pressured Co2 I am hoping to buy some of Tom Barr's beauties and try my luck.

Last edited by dastowers; 01-05-2013 at 08:16 PM.. Reason: add text
Old 01-05-2013, 08:10 PM   #5
dastowers
Algae Grower

The dwarf hair grass growth seems pretty good considering I have only used Excel and Flourish sparingly. If you like check out this post I made about the new lighting. It shows the growth of the HG over the last three weeks.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=198196

Last edited by dastowers; 01-05-2013 at 08:10 PM.. Reason: link