Squirrel skeleton in tank? - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Aquascaping

Old 01-10-2013, 07:09 PM   #31
james1542
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)

This is hilarious, a truly ridiculous story. First we need more details on this broken back squirrel story. Some brush on superglue would be probably the best sealer you could use on the bones. They make a really runny form that comes in a bottle with a brush for applying it.

I can't wait to see some actual bones in an aquascape. If done well, it could be really cool. I don't think an articulated squirrel skeleton will look good though. You can only do something really un-natural and cheesy with it, like have it clinging to some driftwood. To make a natural scape that had a squirrel skeleton, basically you'd have a pile of disarticulated bones, half buried in the substrate. Meh
james1542 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2013, 07:26 PM   #32
HybridHerp
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

Maybe its just me, but if I had a skeleton in my tank, I'd make it look like it died in there, then get some moss growing on the dismembered skeleton. It'd be cool for an invert tank cause I bet they would love the extra calcium now in their water and the ribs would make a ton of hiding spaces.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:28 PM   #33
CoffeeLove
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

I've seen a squirrel with a broken back, I also put it out of it's misery. Squirrels fall from trees a lot. One literally almost landed on my head, it was cray cray. Saw two others fall as well.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
CoffeeLove is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2013, 12:46 AM   #34
jester56
Planted Member

Sorry, but I was jealous. Had to do my own skeletal study tank. It came out quite well. Don't you think? LOL!

(This thread is the funniest I've seen! And all because of a poor dead squirrel! LOL!)
Nikon Pimp #084
"The legal quarter of tight lipped men, push for order, then repeat again." KTP
jester56 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2013, 01:35 AM   #35
Betta132
Planted Tank Enthusiast

@FlyingHellFish, this is totally serious! But that would just about be my reaction...
It only took 10 days to decompose because I let flies lay eggs on it before I buried it, so there were a lot of maggots! They were the grossest bits.
@civics14, not exactly. I found it in the neighbor's yard, just sprawled on its belly. I could see that it was breathing, and then it stopped breathing. I only knew that it broke its back when I had the skeleton cleaned off.
@james1542, I think I will use superglue... we do have some of that brush-on stuff. And I do plan on posting pics when I get some decent ones!
You do have a point about making it look natural... Maybe I'll just have the backbone, paws, and legs at least partially strung together, and let it lay over some driftwood. There's a piece in my tank that would work for that... I'd just have to find a way to make sure the larger fish didn't bury the bones all the way...
@jester56, how'd you know I have a tang skeleton on my 'skeletons to get' list?! Lol! Seriously, every LFS I go to, I look for big fish who just aren't doing well... And I've had three places tell me people have actually asked for dead fish before!
@lochaber, could you mail me one of the slightly more intact skeletons, perhaps? Not a cow, of course, but a dog or something would be cool... I'm serious, I recently developed an interest bordering on obsession with skeletons! I had a dove that hit a window and broke its neck, but something dug it up and stole it... Foozle.
Betta132 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2013, 01:49 AM   #36
harley1964
Algae Grower

On a more serious note, as far as cleaning the bones of unwanted material, taxidermists use very specific insects to do the cleaning.you could then use a multitude of different fiberglass epoxy resins for the sealing and mounting of the remaining parts. I saw the wings of a bat preserved with something that kinda sealed the flesh, it was very macabre and horror movie ish.a taxidermist can show you all kind of methods for preserving critters. I think you are doing this to get the shock and awe effect going, and it looks like its working.
good luck.
harley1964 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2013, 01:54 AM   #37
FlyingHellFish
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betta132 View Post
@FlyingHellFish, this is totally serious! But that would just about be my reaction...
It only took 10 days to decompose because I let flies lay eggs on it before I buried it, so there were a lot of maggots! They were the grossest bits.
If this is all true, which I'm starting to believe it is, then this is going to be an EPIC thread. Internet meme in the workings fellas, I can see this getting pass around on the net.

"Over zealous Aquarium tank owner takes Taxidermy to another level"

A star is being born! Just like Co2 and nutrient substrate, we're all be waiting for animal bones so we can put them in our Aquascape.
FlyingHellFish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2013, 02:08 AM   #38
Betta132
Planted Tank Enthusiast

My uncle might be able to get me a gar skeleton... That might end up in the tank. Not sure yet... Well, one thing's for sure, this is gonna be a really cool tank!
Old 01-11-2013, 04:04 AM   #39
jester56
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betta132 View Post
@jester56, how'd you know I have a tang skeleton on my 'skeletons to get' list?! Lol! Seriously, every LFS I go to, I look for big fish who just aren't doing well... And I've had three places tell me people have actually asked for dead fish before!
Betta, thanks for taking the Photoshopped joke in the spirit of it! I agree with the taxidermist suggestion. Heck, you might get one that you can explain what you're doing and open up a new market for him AND you! Nano tanks with small skeletons in them. And the ideas come in as more people find this topic. I'd have to say, "Most cool!" Did I say I love this thread?!?
Nikon Pimp #084
"The legal quarter of tight lipped men, push for order, then repeat again." KTP
jester56 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2013, 05:35 AM   #40
lochaber
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Betta123>

sorry, that was a couple decades ago... I move around too much, and have lived in an urban area for too long to hang on to stuff like that. Occasionally I'll come across a raccoon or squirrel skull, and if it's pretty clean,, I'll take it home and toss it in a window box or bottle garden or something.

What's the area like where you are, rural, suburb, urban, something else? If hunting is big in your area, it may be worth hitting up a taxidermist- they usually use premade forms, and discard the head after removing the skin/hide. It won't help with critters with horns/antlers (deer, rams, antelope, etc.) as those are hacked off with part of the skull, but I've had (a long time ago) mountain lion, bear, fox, etc. Other then that, I guess just check roadsides for roadkill - when I was a kid I would note when something new turned up, and then check back a couple months later.

As to cleaning, yeah, museums and such tend to use dermestid beetle larva, but those things can be pretty troublesome if not contained. easiest is probably just to stick it somewhere downwind, and wait a while. I've used boiling, which is pretty unpleasant, plus I think it cracks the teeth. If you live near the shore, check someplace where driftwood and flotsom turns up- It will be mostly smaller stuff, and birds, but twixt the intertidal zone and sand scouring, that's probably the cleanest stuff you will come across that's less then a decade old.

Anyways, back to the tank bit, I'd consider just tossing in the skull with a couple random bones (a leg or 2, a few ribs and a scattering of vertebra). I imagine snails and such will gnaw on them and they won't last long, squirrel bones are pretty tiny/thin. If you still want to coat them, I think epoxy resin is a better bet, it's not very difficult to work with, it's used pretty frequently in aquariums, and it will adhere and seal the bone, as well as hold up in an aquarium (I believe cyanoacrylate (superglue) breaks down on prolonged submersion).

Good luck, and definitely post pics
lochaber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2013, 06:00 PM   #41
civics14
Algae Grower

Any pictures yet? I really have to see this.
civics14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2013, 07:46 PM   #42
Betta132
Planted Tank Enthusiast

No, sorry, no pics, as I haven't been able to get a sealant for the bones. The brush-on superglue turned out to be solid all the way through the bottle...
@lochaber, we're pretty much in a suburban area, and I do know a taxidermist place that's pretty close to us. I'm definitely looking for decently clean roadkill... I saw a dead hog, but the highway department may have taken that. Hmm, maybe I should call them...
We're in Central Texas, so no beaches, and the one that's a few hours' drive from here is unfortunatey stripped clean of most non-living cool stuff.
I found part of a huge dead bird, maybe hawk, near a park in November... I was poking around in a patch of trees with a few friends, and we started finding all these shredded hawk feathers. Then we found the bones from a hawk's wing. It had been snapped jaggedly off at the shoulder, but was holding together really well. We also found the other wing and a leg with a mostly intact foot. I only have one wing, as two other teens got the leg and other wing.
I've cleaned my few skeletons by wrapping them in mesh and burying them in the garden with a few flat rocks on top. Our neighborhood has a lot of stray cats/raccoons/possums/the like.
I have pretty much the entire skeleton, minus some paw bones and the atlas (first vertebrae), so I think it'd be kind of a shame to only use a few bones. I've figured out something that I think will look pretty good...
I'd use this raccoon skeleton I assembled awhile ago (tied for first place at the science fair with it!), but it's fully assembled and I don't think I could dissasemble it.

Tags
aquarium safe, bones, hydrogen peroxide, skeleton, superglue

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.