Can i use this stone?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Aquascaping

Old 01-09-2013, 08:36 PM   #1
ADJAquariums
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

Can i use this stone?

I found this piece of what appears to be coping, the corner piece of a building's roof or walls. I found it in the ocean actually, in Cape Cod Mass. i wan't to know if it's safe to use. I think it's really cool, i've had it in tanks before, just without fish in them. Mostly for a weight to hold stuff down.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GOPR0002.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	64202  

Name:	GOPR0003.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	64210  

Name:	GOPR0004.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	64218  

Name:	GOPR0005.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	64226  

Name:	GOPR0006.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	64234  

Then I saw it. I saw a mom who would die for her son. A man who would kill for his wife. A boy, angry and alone. Laid out in front of him, the bad path. I saw it. And the path was a circle. Round and round. So I changed it.
-Joe (Looper 2012)
ADJAquariums is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2013, 05:47 AM   #2
lochaber
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

I thought the pic looked really odd until I read your post. makes sense, a lot of times old construction rubble is used as riprap to prevent erosion/build jetties. So, a lot of building stuff ends up in the ocean, and some will get broken/weathered loose, tumble around a bit, and show up somewhere else. (or it could've just washed down a river, been dumped at sea, whatever...)

Since you seem to have an idea of what it was intended for, any idea of what it's composition is? I'm not having much luck guessing at it's composition from the pics. do you think it's cut/shaped stone, or something akin to brick, terra-cotta, cinderblock, concrete/cement?

Maybe if you could get a macro/close up of the piece itself, so we could take a guess at it's composition/qualities?
lochaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:33 PM   #3
ADJAquariums
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lochaber View Post
I thought the pic looked really odd until I read your post. makes sense, a lot of times old construction rubble is used as riprap to prevent erosion/build jetties. So, a lot of building stuff ends up in the ocean, and some will get broken/weathered loose, tumble around a bit, and show up somewhere else. (or it could've just washed down a river, been dumped at sea, whatever...)

Since you seem to have an idea of what it was intended for, any idea of what it's composition is? I'm not having much luck guessing at it's composition from the pics. do you think it's cut/shaped stone, or something akin to brick, terra-cotta, cinderblock, concrete/cement?

Maybe if you could get a macro/close up of the piece itself, so we could take a guess at it's composition/qualities?
It looks a lot like a molded cement, however you see that black stripe down the stone long ways? i have no clue what could have made it like that, i think it may be clay because of how that stripe goes down the middle

Then I saw it. I saw a mom who would die for her son. A man who would kill for his wife. A boy, angry and alone. Laid out in front of him, the bad path. I saw it. And the path was a circle. Round and round. So I changed it.
-Joe (Looper 2012)
Old 01-10-2013, 09:27 PM   #4
lochaber
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

If it's cement, it may affect your pH and hardness somewhat, but depending on what you have in your tank, and how big/often your water changes are, that may not be an issue.

No idea on the black stripe. If it was used with building/roofs, it may be some sort of residue from a tar-like compound. The good thing about it kicking around in the ocean for a while is that anything likely to leach out hopefully has already done so.

Sorry, I don't have anything more helpful for you, maybe someone else on here can think of something.
lochaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:49 AM   #5
ADJAquariums
Wannabe Guru

Thanks for your help, ill probably soak it for a week or so until i'm going to rescape my tnak completely, then i'll incorperate it in that, thanks again!

-Joe (Looper 2012)
Old 01-11-2013, 01:08 AM   #6
thesawguy
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)

I use rocks that I find in the woods but test them with muriatic acid, if they fizz it's no good.
thesawguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:58 PM   #7
ADJAquariums
Wannabe Guru

Thanks! i am not willing to buy my stones as i find it a waste, instead i planned on looking in the woods near my home to find nice looking rocks to scape with, i think i'll pick some muriatic acid before i do this, thanks for the tip!

-Joe (Looper 2012)