Duckweed, your opinions?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Plants

Old 01-06-2014, 05:30 PM   #1
Coldwater King
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Duckweed, your opinions?

I was wanting to put some duckweed in my goldfish tank for the fish to graze on. But before I do, I would like your opinions on duckweed; Do you like it or dislike it and why. Also should I use frogbit over duckweed?

Thanks in advance

Old 01-06-2014, 05:40 PM   #2
AquaAurora
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)

I tried duckweed in 3 tanks (two low tech and pen no tech) it did not spread, but died off. Not sure if it just died from transport (was still green when I got it) or didn't like my water chemistry. I'd like to have it in my big tank to help with nitrates since its suppose to be so fast growing.. but its just dried little leaves stuck tot he sides of the tank above the waterline now. if you do not have other floating plants for it to get grow into (that you don't want it sneaking along in when moved to another tank) I would give it a try.
AquaAurora is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2014, 09:13 PM   #3
Legot
Planted Member

I have never been successful with floating plants (duckweed, frogbit, dwarf water lettuce, etc) but I have it surviving in a tiny pond outside.

I'd go for it with the goldfish, but that's just me.
Old 01-06-2014, 09:15 PM   #4
Kat12
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)

I don't think they graze on frogbit. I have it in 3 tanks and due to having a snail that eats it it's fine by me.
Kat12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2014, 09:34 PM   #5
JMN16150
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

Goldfish will demolish duckweed. I personally like duckweed and keep it growing in a divided part of my internal filter. It doesn't grow or spread that fast for me
JMN16150 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2014, 01:24 AM   #6
Takeshi
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)

My goldfish demolish anything...I just put in some larger duckweed, savinia minima, and frogbit for them to graze on. I don't think there are any plants that the goldfish won't destroy besides possibly buces, anubias, java fern, and mosses...
Takeshi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2014, 01:42 AM   #7
chibikaie
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)

I love duckweed. If you want to feed it to your goldfish (it is very good food for them!), you will have to grow it somewhere else; even the most well fed goldfish will eat all the duckweed available until you have none left. (I do not suggest attempting to overwhelm your goldfish with more duckweed than he or she can eat. There is no such thing.) My current one does not seem to be eating greater duckweed, but she also is less of a plant eater than my previous one (that one attempted to eat every plant I tried, and demolished quite a few that were considered goldfish proof). In my experience, greater duckweed is a trace nutrient hog, while lesser/common duckweed is an everything nutrient hog. Supplement with potassium and traces for best results, otherwise the plants can't take advantage of the plentiful nitrate and phosphorus.

I find that frogbit prefers warmer water than my goldfish - it does best in my betta tanks. My goldfish would take big bites out of the leaves and eat the roots. The plant also hates being flipped over, and I personally hate flipping it back to keep it happy. This is generally not a problem with duckweed.
chibikaie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2014, 01:46 AM   #8
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27

i HATE duckweed.it takes over and is hard to get rid of. even when i leave old brown/clearish ead leaves on the side of the tank i have had it pop back up. i got one small piece in my betta tank and over the weekend covered the 1.5 gal cube. duck weed is an invasive species in most places as well so be careful just tossing it out. ive heard goldies love to eat it so if that is what you want i say set up a shallow ruber tote and stick a light over it and grow it there and scoop every now and then as a treat for the goldies.
wicca27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2014, 02:05 AM   #9
Oto Guy
Algae Grower

I think that if it is for a goldfish tank it would be great! They will definitely eat it!
Oto Guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2014, 02:45 AM   #10
Monster Fish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)

I just spent 30 minutes netting out all the duckweed I could see out of my 29 gallon. I then used a turkey baster to blast any remnants stuck under plant leaves and netted those out. I prefer more manageable floaters. Giant duckweed is a better alternative and looks nice when given plenty of light.
RAOK Club #77|The Fraternity of Dirt #112
Monster Fish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2014, 10:04 AM   #11
Sgtreef
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)

Can't get rid of the stuff grows like crazy.

Throw away two big net fulls at least once a month from two tanks.

Stay away , the plant from Hell that is.

Jeff
Sgtreef is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2014, 11:13 AM   #12
Bunfoo
Planted Tank Obsessed

I was growing duckweed in a large kiddie pool as fodder for my goldfish and turtles. I can tell you trying to grow it in the goldfish tank is NOT going to work. They will find every. single. fragment. and eat it.
Bunfoo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2014, 02:14 PM   #13
Razorworm
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I love it! I have one tank dedicated to growing the stuff. Every cople of days I scoop some out and dump it in my two Rainbow tanks. Its a great addition to their diet and something they like to graze on.
Razorworm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2014, 11:58 PM   #14
ufimych
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

I do not like duckweed in my aquaria, but I tried to establish it in my outdoor pond, where I have plenty of Goldfish. I did not succeed, possibly, because goldfish ate it all. To control nitrates in aquaria, I prefer Ceratophyllum. In the summer it is growing like crazy, very fast and I remove it almost by the pounds and toss it in the outdoor pond. However, it never establish in the pond, fish eats it, too. One draw back with Ceratophyllum: when daylight shortens in the fall, it disintegrates, leaving only tips of stems. In spring they all resume growing and the cycle repeats. This is a very easy and pretty plant.

Last edited by ufimych; 01-07-2014 at 11:59 PM.. Reason: misprints
ufimych is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2014, 12:31 AM   #15
dprais1
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

the devil created duckweed and his minions convince the pure of heart it is a good addition to their tanks.
dprais1 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
plants

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.