How to get rid of RICCIA!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 01-05-2013, 09:32 PM   #1
bruinhd
Algae Grower

PTrader: (7/100%)

How to get rid of RICCIA!

Gosh darnit. I made the mistake of adding Riccia to a dwarf hairgrass tank a while back, and since then, it has infested my grass, and even with constant pruning every couple of days, I cannot get rid of the riccia. Does anyone have a strategy for getting rid of riccia? Is there any way to target riccia?
bruinhd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2013, 11:36 PM   #2
jonathan
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Have you pruned it back so much that it no longer appears to be in the aquarium ?

I'm curious what the mix looks like. I'm sorry I wish I had a better strategy than eye balling it.
jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 12:04 AM   #3
GeToChKn
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

riccia is one of those plants that I have in all my tanks now just about no matter how hard I try to not transfer it. Have fun. lol. How did you plant the riccia with the DHG?

Sump Pimp #2

My Tanks and my shrimps
GeToChKn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 12:08 AM   #4
bruinhd
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeToChKn View Post
riccia is one of those plants that I have in all my tanks now just about no matter how hard I try to not transfer it. Have fun. lol. How did you plant the riccia with the DHG?
Once upon a time I had a beautiful grass carpet and i threw some riccia in temporarily along the top. The filter tossed some of it down into the grass and voila, it took root. Now it's literally all over and I spend like 10 mins every friggin day tediously picking it out only for it to show up the next day. It drives me nuts. Hella invasive.
Old 01-06-2013, 12:14 AM   #5
bruinhd
Algae Grower

I've read that Flourish Excel will kill Riccia. Why? I don't know. But anyone else know if this is safe to overdose?
Old 01-06-2013, 12:34 AM   #6
houseofcards
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (54/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinhd View Post
...Once upon a time I had a beautiful grass carpet and i threw some riccia in temporarily along the top. The filter tossed some of it down into the grass and voila, it took root..
Riccia doesn't root. You should really be able to get rid of it since most of it will float. You should also be able to shake the rest lose, use an aquatic tweezer and/or use a small hose to suck it out.
houseofcards is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 12:46 AM   #7
CatSoup
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinhd View Post
I've read that Flourish Excel will kill Riccia. Why? I don't know. But anyone else know if this is safe to overdose?
Hmm Hasn't killed mine. Not by the directed amount at least.
CatSoup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 12:49 AM   #8
CatSoup
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofcards View Post
Riccia doesn't root. You should really be able to get rid of it since most of it will float. You should also be able to shake the rest lose, use an aquatic tweezer and/or use a small hose to suck it out.
It most certainly does root! LOL Mine have thick ones that yank up the substrate. They are long and hair-like, and they tangle around each other.
Old 01-06-2013, 01:01 AM   #9
ngrubich
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (25/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatSoup View Post
It most certainly does root! LOL Mine have thick ones that yank up the substrate. They are long and hair-like, and they tangle around each other.
Riccia doesn't root per se. It can have root-like rhizoids on it that can cling to stuff, but no "real" roots (although some people can argue that the rhizoids are roots since they can take in nutrients). The big difference is that roots contain many cells while each rhizoid is a single cell.

As far as Excel goes, check out this old thread: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=24715
I never fully got rid of my riccia when I wanted to get rid of it: I thought I got it all and went out of town for the weekend only to come home and find pieces of riccia floating around
ngrubich is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 01:07 AM   #10
bruinhd
Algae Grower

Quote:
I didn't mean root literally. I meant it as an expression, like "take root". Anyway, I went out to get Flourish Excel but all they had was API CO2 Booster. I double-dosed it and within 10 mins a bunch of riccia is already turning white. This is exciting. I'm carefully monitoring my tetras for any rapid breathing.

And I've had very little luck in getting rid of with shaking loose, tweezing etc. Believe me, I do triple-duty on pruning and it still arises. And I've been scooping up any piece that floats. It's been an issue for months, literally.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:44 AM   #11
auban
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

if you have to back to hand picking it, try using a comb. i used to pull a lot of java moss out of my DHG with a regular comb.
auban is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 09:53 AM   #12
danielt
Planted Tank Obsessed

You try to pick it up too often.

I have Riccia in my Glossostigma carpet and the darn thing keeps popping out every time. I never managed to get it out unless I let it grow. If you try and prune it often there's bound to remain some small pieces in and they will grow back. If you let it grow more it should be easier to get it out completely.

One important thing, try to change your water movement as to not blow downward currents in the hair grass. Riccia should pop out as it's filled with gas. Try to get it pearling and you should spot even the bits of it.
danielt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 12:24 PM   #13
CatSoup
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngrubich View Post
Riccia doesn't root per se. It can have root-like rhizoids on it that can cling to stuff, but no "real" roots (although some people can argue that the rhizoids are roots since they can take in nutrients). The big difference is that roots contain many cells while each rhizoid is a single cell.

As far as Excel goes, check out this old thread: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=24715
I never fully got rid of my riccia when I wanted to get rid of it: I thought I got it all and went out of town for the weekend only to come home and find pieces of riccia floating around
Disregard everything I said there. I have had a never ending cold that has made me loopy on meds. I was thinking of RR. Sorry. lol
Old 01-06-2013, 02:09 PM   #14
houseofcards
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (54/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatSoup View Post
Disregard everything I said there. I have had a never ending cold that has made me loopy on meds. I was thinking of RR. Sorry. lol

There's a wicked flu going around right now so that's understandable.
houseofcards is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 02:47 PM   #15
bruinhd
Algae Grower

Quote:
There's a wicked flu going around right now so that's understandable.
and the clap.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.