Can there be too much dechlorinator?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 01-22-2015, 04:04 PM   #1
Modestlysublime
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Can there be too much dechlorinator?

So I have a 2.6g shrimp tank, but it gets a bit of evaporation, and water needs topping up.
My issue is, I'm topping it up with such a little amount (.33 of a litre) each time, the amount of dechlorinator needed would be way too low to measure, but I don't want to add chlorinated water to the tank because at only 2.6g even a small amount could be a problem.
Is it an issue if I put too much dechlorinator in the tank?
Modestlysublime is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2015, 04:20 PM   #2
FytoGigas
Algae Grower

I have to top my tank off a lot too. it is very dry where i live. i keep a one gallon milk jug with my tank stuff and i fill it up and add the dechlorinator necessary for the gallon. then i just use that to top it off for a week or so.that way you don't have to measure out a tiny bit every time. just add from your all ready set up jug.
FytoGigas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2015, 04:31 PM   #3
Modestlysublime
Algae Grower

Oh, that sounds like a perfect solution. Thanks!
Old 01-22-2015, 04:39 PM   #4
FytoGigas
Algae Grower

no problem!
FytoGigas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2015, 07:00 PM   #5
kman
Wannabe Guru

Per the directions, if you're using a GOOD water conditioner like Prime, you can either pre-treat the water (but it needs to be used within a day or two, max) or simply add straight tap water and then treat the full tank volume.

Prime is really easy to dose, since it's simply 2 drops per gallon. For a 1/2 gallon, 1 drop. Or treat the whole tank with 3 drops when you top off.
kman is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2015, 08:49 PM   #6
0xDEADBEEF
Algae Grower

Or, you can use distilled water to top off your small tank. It is like 89 cents a gallon at target and it replaces evaporated water without adding any extra minerals.
Tank cover also helps. A lot. Just cut a piece of acrylic and put it on top of your tank.
0xDEADBEEF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2015, 08:53 PM   #7
kman
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0xDEADBEEF View Post
Or, you can use distilled water to top off your small tank. It is like 89 cents a gallon at target and it replaces evaporated water without adding any extra minerals.
Tank cover also helps. A lot. Just cut a piece of acrylic and put it on top of your tank.
Actually, that's the best idea yet. And using distilled water means no change to the TDS in the water, which is very good for stability. I'd use tap water still as primary for actual water changes, but for simple top offs due to evaporative loss, distilled water is great way to go, especially in a small tank like this.
Old 01-22-2015, 10:28 PM   #8
dru
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kman View Post
Per the directions, if you're using a GOOD water conditioner like Prime, you can either pre-treat the water (but it needs to be used within a day or two, max)...
I've never heard that before

I treat my water as I fill up the containers, sometimes they sit for weeks
dru is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2015, 10:34 PM   #9
thump421
Algae Grower

From what I understand chlorine and chloride gas out of tap water after 25-36 hours. I fill my wc buckets on Friday afternoon and let them sit until Sunday morning. I still use prime but I'm not sure if it's entirely necessary. The distilled water idea is a good one I haven't heard of that one either but I'm going to start doing that for mid week top offs for sure.
thump421 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2015, 10:44 PM   #10
Modestlysublime
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0xDEADBEEF View Post
Unfortunately its not as available here in the UK, I'd have to order it online at 22 for 5litres.
Old 01-22-2015, 11:03 PM   #11
kman
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by thump421 View Post
From what I understand chlorine and chloride gas out of tap water after 25-36 hours. I fill my wc buckets on Friday afternoon and let them sit until Sunday morning. I still use prime but I'm not sure if it's entirely necessary. The distilled water idea is a good one I haven't heard of that one either but I'm going to start doing that for mid week top offs for sure.
Unfortunately, Chloramine, which is now used by most municipalities in the US, is far more stable. (which is why it's now used by most municipalities in the US, and more and more other countries, too) Also requires more than standard old DeChlor to get rid of. Prime is good, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modestlysublime View Post
Unfortunately its not as available here in the UK, I'd have to order it online at 22 for 5litres.
I'm rather stunned to hear that. Seriously? No distilled water available in stores? What do you put in your irons for steam cleaning? Lots of other things distilled water is used for, too. I'd double check that with local friends, you may be surprised.
Old 01-22-2015, 11:56 PM   #12
kman
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modestlysublime View Post
It's available, but amazingly hard to find. A quick google turned up a number of potential sources, however:

Check:
*Boots the Chemists (and other pharmacies)
*Branches of Robert Dyas (ironmongers, electrical, etc) sell bottles of it in different sizes
* http://www.thedistilledwatercompany.com/ (in Wimbleton, if convenient enough to your location)
* http://www.buydistilledwater.co.uk/
*Reids of Chester offers courier delivery within 24 hours for less than 5
*Demineralized and deionized water may often be available in auto repair shops
*Collecting rain water is another excellent way to obtain free pure water. (it rains in England, right?)
*Many aquatics shops carry RO water that be purchased easily, so next time you're picking up something for the tank, grab a couple of gallons?
*I read a recommendation for Highland Spring water, as having extremely low levels of dissolved solids. Perhaps not as perfect as actual distilled water, but still far better than tap.

*And of course you can always invest in a small home RO filtration unit, which many shrimp keepers do. (not that this is a low cost option) Or even a simple Britta filter!

Hope this helps a bit.
Old 01-23-2015, 08:30 AM   #13
Modestlysublime
Algae Grower

Boots no longer sell it look into highland spring. The auto shops I looked into and robert dyas only have deionised and not demineralised. And none of the fish shops in my county sell RO unfortunately. I don't own my house so can't make it myself, but that would be idea. Reids of chester only sell 500ml for 5. I can't believe its so easy to come across in the US! Most people just put tap water in there irons here, supermarkets will sell special 'iron water' but its not as good as distilled and is often perfumed.

I'll try highland spring with dechlorinator.
Old 01-23-2015, 08:54 AM   #14
kman
Wannabe Guru

Highland Spring won't have any chlorine, but I'd look into a better water treatment option like Seachem Prime instead of a general dechlor.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.