Redoing a 10 gallon
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 03-01-2015, 11:30 PM   #1
taitertot
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Redoing a 10 gallon

So my 10 gallon everglades biotope has gotten rather boring, it seems flagfish never wanna come out of hiding and I can't find the right fish locally. Might set it back up in 6 months as a heterandra formosa 5 gallon biotope when I can get them, but probably not. So here it sits mocking me for all the research and work I put in. It willl be fully planted 10 gallon, small community I'm planning on. So how does this stock list look for the redo.
4 panda corydoras, or 6 corydoras habrosus,
2 african dwarf frogs
6 threadfin rainbowfish
Small rainbow neocaridina colony
nerite snails
I clearly don't want the normal understocked look, kind of the opposite.
p.s. I would prefer habrosus but feel like they might get scooped up by the adf's.
taitertot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2015, 01:38 PM   #2
HDBenson
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

ADFs (African dwarf frogs maxing out around 2" and, not to be confused with African Clawed frogs which get big and can and will eat anything it can catch)are GENERALLY too small to eat anything that isn't dead.. plus they have HORRIBLE eyesight. Threadfins really need more space than a 10 gallon. Six would probably do much better in a 20g long. I like the stock list though. I'd just suggest a larger tank.
HDBenson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2015, 02:20 AM   #3
taitertot
Algae Grower

Yeah when I was at the lfs recently their dwarf frogs did almost look smaller than the habrosus, which couldn't have been much more than half an inch themselves, but I wasn't comparing them side by side. They were probably all babies.
This is more of a work with what I got and increase tank size in a few months to a year situation. So I'm not all that worried about the rainbows, and I've seen the minimum tank size for them as 10 gallons. I know that's subjective but I think I might go with it as I've been wanting threadfins for probably a year but have mainly focused on crustacean biotopes. In people experience have they been hard to feed or are they healthy eaters?
I'm moving in a couple months so i'm not getting the fish til after that anyways. I just wanted to combine the 2 10s cause I got dissapointed with the biotope and decided if only the sand tank was planted I could move them all without pulling any plants out. And on top of that the flagfish have been getting a mouth fungus so I wanted to quarantine them in the empty one.
The first image with no cryptocoryne is the "before" everglades biotope. The ugly one with all the plants combined is how its looking now. When I actually aquascape it I really wanna do dutch style but include a bit of hardscape and and area with agates as substrate, but I'm terrible at the design aspect. It will also be low tech, no co 2 no ferts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150126_110134.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	440321  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20150303_203952.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	440329  

Old 03-04-2015, 03:02 AM   #4
HDBenson
Planted Member

Looks like a nice collection of plants.. just a thought though... group the different species together. It will be more "Dutch" that way. And look better generally speaking. Or, put the cabomba and bacopa next to eachother. Top the leggy ones and plant them high on the right or left down towards the center of the tank and have a lawn of cryptocoryne. Depending on your dosing and light intensity you may have crypts as tall as the stem plants!
Old 03-04-2015, 03:59 AM   #5
taitertot
Algae Grower

Thanks for the input I definitely will group the species together and a bit tighter. Yeah without ferts or co2 the crypts are already about 6 inches or so for the big ones, but I did just switch them from gravel to sand so I don't know what kind of effect that will have, I did add malaysian trumpet snails so that should help. I've been keeping planted tanks for a couple years but I'm still not the most knowledgeable on plant care, I mainly research fish and inverts. The only plant I've killed is anacharis from salt and fiddler crabs eating it though. I can't really tell if the bacopa needs any ferts or co2, at times it looks good other times the leaves look super droopy. It has sprouted new stems though.
Old 03-04-2015, 05:01 PM   #6
HDBenson
Planted Member

I just noticed the Nymph. sp. put that guy in the front a little off-center to one side.. it's a nice focal plant!
Old 03-04-2015, 06:59 PM   #7
taitertot
Algae Grower

Is that the banana plant?
Old 03-05-2015, 08:21 PM   #8
HDBenson
Planted Member

Yeah it's a type of lily.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.