Deuce 70G Journal
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 08-03-2003, 12:12 AM   #1
Deuce868
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Well I got the tank up and the old flourite from my prev. 40gal in. I had to close up the 40 when I moved back in Feb. An amazing thing happened. There were two snails that have come up still alive! How in the world did they live in the flourite in a rubbermaid in storage since Feb?!

I was disappointed with how far the old flourite went. I only have 1-1.5" throughout the tank. I am hoping that the 4 bags of Eco will get me to 3"+...if not I will have to get more.

I will get the initial pics up soon. I am still waiting on the Ehiem filter, Eco, and extra 48" All Glass PC to show up. Once they get here it is PLANT TIME!!
Deuce868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2003, 07:05 PM   #2
Deuce868
Algae Grower

Update: 11 snails?!
Old 08-05-2003, 10:00 PM   #3
Deuce868
Algae Grower

Wahoo! The Ecco gravel, light, and new filter arrived today. First the bad new...one of the bulbs in my 48" light was broken. I called up Big Al's and they are shipping me another one and going to file a claim with UPS. So one side of the tank looks a LOT brighter than the other.

I followed the instructions on the bags of Ecco and just poured it in. Of course there went a cloud. It should clear pretty quick. With the HOT magnum and the 2026 the water should be moving pretty quick! That 2026 is a beast. I did not realize how large they were. It seems like a grea setup though and now I just need my plants to get here!

I will post some pics, but I want to wait for the cloud to clear a bit before I do.
Old 08-06-2003, 11:39 AM   #4
Deuce868
Algae Grower

Here are my first pics. You can see how the right side is brighter because I am missing the one bulb on the left until the replacement gets out to me. Hopefully I will have some starter plants in this week with a full load arriving next week. aquatic-store is being great in helping me get some nice thing chosen out.

You can see the Eco Copmlete mixed with the flourite. It looks ok, although I think all Eco would look better. I think I might have gotten one bag too many though. I have a DEEP substrate. Only better for the plant's roots though right

Old 08-06-2003, 04:20 PM   #5
mastertofu
Algae Grower

that's some cool looking driftwood. Where did you get those pieces?
mastertofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 04:25 PM   #6
Deuce868
Algae Grower

an ex's parents had some LARGE peices for yard decorations and let me cut one of them up. I hacked these two peices off of it.
Old 08-06-2003, 04:46 PM   #7
Guttboy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Guttboy

Looks very nice! Cool wood.

Suggestion...just me though and I am by no means an aquascaper but....maybe if you turn one of those wood pieces toward the front so that there is some depth also? Perhaps the smaller one? Right now looks kinda artificial with them both pointing the same way.

Just my opinion....btw how is your eheim doing?

mike

10 Gallon...20 Endler's live bearers planted, peat/kitty litter/sand substrate

15 Gallon...Just Schultz Aquatic Plant soil
Guttboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 04:51 PM   #8
Deuce868
Algae Grower

Thanks for the advice Guttboy. I plan on looking at wood placement more once i get the plants going. I have not decided the look I want...where should I have the open areas and thick vegetation and such. So things will change for sure!

The eheim ROCKS! Wow, it is huge...but it is a ton quieter than the magnum. Actually I can't hear it at all. I need to chop the tube down on the intake...it is too tall and sticks up a bit to keep the intake off of the gravel. Other than that, it was easy to set up and seems like it is going to be a great purchase.

My only concern now is how much water movement I have. I really can't get a good feel for it until I start getting the plants in though.
Old 08-06-2003, 05:24 PM   #9
Guttboy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yeah....I thought the FILSTARS were quiet...this is relative to my marine lawn pumps pushing the current in my tank....but the ehiem Roger Miller has is SILENT! I mean SILENT! I had no Idea it was running.

Noise is not so bad cuz this is in my computer room but I think in the future i might go to an eheim combo next....SORRY PIMPSQUAD!

I have enough movement to keep my plants swaying. My cryptocoryne cordatas are "wilting" doing great by pearling but have started growing horizontally....not sure why....but i am running 2 Filstar xp3s in the tank and there is a decent current//maybe thats it oooooorrrr my tanks have alot of light as opposed to the one they were in...unsure.

Mike

Old 08-08-2003, 04:01 PM   #10
mastertofu
Algae Grower

is there by any chance they or you still have some extra wood laying around? I wanna put a nice centerpeice driftwood in my tank.
Old 08-08-2003, 04:04 PM   #11
Deuce868
Algae Grower

I don't have any more and since I got it from an ex's parents I don't think I can get any more. =)

Sorry
Old 08-08-2003, 04:09 PM   #12
mastertofu
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce868
I don't have any more and since I got it from an ex's parents I don't think I can get any more. =)

Sorry
ah well, thanks anyways
Old 08-09-2003, 08:11 PM   #13
Deuce868
Algae Grower

Ok, the local lfs got some plants in today and so I grabbed a few things just to get the tank going. I know it is not pretty, but all they had was a bunch of mid level stuff so I have no foreground and no real background yet. I just wanted to get some plants in and going so I could get some fish in soon.

Hopefully the aqua-store shipment will get me close to the type and variety of plants I am looking for. The one cool thing was that they lfs sold me this HUGE anubias for $10 that I split into a few pieces. It is the only really large plant in the tank.

Old 08-09-2003, 08:47 PM   #14
Guttboy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

WOW looks awesome! What are you using for substrate? My tank ahs been battling with dirty water for a bit now....Just hooked up a magnum with some DE that I picked up from the pool store....in 1.5 hours its remarkably clearer....will keep it running for a bit and see how it looks...

Your tank looks really nice!

Mike

Old 08-09-2003, 08:48 PM   #15
Guttboy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Sorry went back and saw you were using ECO....

What, if any, fish are you planning on?

Mike